Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Nokia, MAKING A COMEBACK!

Non-removable battery ... damn. And no MicroSD!

Maybe an issue 5 years ago.

For me, non-removable battery is an issue. Always will be.

+1 "battery pack cases" are always more cumbersome than just a larger battery and rear door.

More so for me, no SD is a problem for me; but both issues I'd live with for the right device.

The main reason it's an issue, is because I do a lot of "offline" work. I like the ability to move a USB stick\SDcard\simcard\whatever.

I'd never accept people telling me USB sticks arent OK, build a network.

So it's painful to accept 'SD cards arent OK, live with our decided storage".

But oh well, it's all for a cost point.

Is it an actual issue, or is it a safety-blanket "but what if one day...?" type issue?

Is it an actual issue, or is it a safety-blanket "but what if one day...?" type issue?

I'm the type to replace batteries periodically on any battery powered device.

For a real, observed/measured reason? Or just because you've always done it?

For a real, observed/measured reason? Or just because you've always done it?

Just me, I don't trust batteries!

I daresay Apple, Samsung, Nokia et al know a little more about batteries than you do.

OK, maybe Samsung not so much! :P

I daresay Apple, Samsung, Nokia et al know a little more about batteries than you do.

OK, maybe Samsung not so much! :P

And apple at the moment.

It's been covered up very well (as Apple makes sure to do well), but China specifically has had a few go boom recently. And a few companies are sitting there concerned....

So far it's only been covered in the chinese media; my colleague is chinese and VPN's into the 'great firewall' to check local news and such.

I know it's just hearsay from me, but I'm being honest when I say I've seen photos of it first hand.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Amperex Technology Limited are battery suppliers for Apple and Samsung now. I don't know who Nokia use.

Edited by Jeruselem

Could be confirmation bias too.

China is full of really shitty chargers, there's probably lots of LiPo batteries exploding left right and centre.

(Seriously, I've seen teardowns of Chinese chargers where your device is literally live at mains potential. Capacitive dropper, no regulation, no isolation.)

Edited by SquallStrife

Could be confirmation bias too.

China is full of really shitty chargers, there's probably lots of LiPo batteries exploding left right and centre.

(Seriously, I've seen teardowns of Chinese chargers where your device is literally live at mains potential. Capacitive dropper, no regulation, no isolation.)

While that's a very distinct possibility, my colleague doesn't seem to think so.

Trusting him; chinese people with money to buy things like an iPhone wont buy anything made in china.

Milk is Australian, Cars are German, Electronics are German. Apparently they dont even trust the 'big names' from other asian countries. (TCL, ASUS, Mitsubishi)

It's EU\AU or nothing.

Also, apparently apple has some 'prestige' over there.

I'm going to go with the 'apple coverup theory'. They managed it when macbook batteries started exploding (the batch made by Sony IIRC, and IIRC, they took out someones legs). almost no one heard about it. So I do believe its in their power to pay people off.

But, I do agree, it's all hearsay and conjecture.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Well if Nokia make fantastic non-exploding phones, the chinese will be buying lots of them.

Its what I expected.

Those are some truly beast specs for a non-gaming phone.

4GB ram, 1080p, 3000mah battery, genuine gorilla glass, etc.

As I said, they've ticked the boxes for a reliable, long battery life, workhorse phone, and with 4GB of ram and an oct core, it'll devour webcontent with no issues. It'll only choke on games.

And really, anything runs angrybirds.

Just to note with those Nokias, non-removable battery.

at 3000mah, with a 1080p screen (low by mobile standards.... for some retarded reason... thats already insane pixel density), and with a 400 series snapdragon; I don't think the phone will get old enough for the capacity to drop noticeably within 3 years, I'd say it'd be usable after 5.

at 3000mah, with a 1080p screen (low by mobile standards.... for some retarded reason... thats already insane pixel density), and with a 400 series snapdragon; I don't think the phone will get old enough for the capacity to drop noticeably within 3 years, I'd say it'd be usable after 5.

The Nokia 3 is pretty much meh to me, since it's barely an real improvement than my relatively ancient Lumia 830 (with a removable battery). The Nokia 5 is a faster Nokia 3 (the SOC is octacore) but the Nokia 6 is probably the one I'd buy if I had a choice. The Nokia 8 is overkill for me, I have proper Android tablet now no need to a phablet

Edited by Jeruselem

The Nokia 3 is pretty much meh to me, since it's barely an real improvement than my relatively ancient Lumia 830 (with a removable battery). The Nokia 5 is a faster Nokia 3 (the SOC is octacore) but the Nokia 6 is probably the one I'd buy if I had a choice. The Nokia 8 is overkill for me, I have proper Android tablet now no need to a phablet

Oh for sure, but you and I have unique requirements\wants.

There really are only 4 "Mainstream" mobile types.

1. Those who want an iPhone.

2. Those who want "A Samsung".

3. Those who want "The cheapest" no matter what (or the few who want "the most expensive" no matter what).

4. Those who want a "Value" workhorse.

It's the group 4 Nokia will do well (and is doing well) in targeting.

My father is a good example, builder, not greatly tech savvy, but wants a phone.

I got him an Oppo F1, its brilliant! in EVERY sense of the word!

Value, no bloat, long battery life, clear screen, all the thing HE cares about.

Those who look for a value workhorse type phone, will love the long battery life, the 4GB of ram for webpages and no app re-loads, and the 1080p will be "wow sharp!" for most of that group, compared to what they'd normally buy at 560p or so.

It wont be for me, but I can see where they're coming from, and if they market it well, it'll work.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Apparently there's a new Nokia tablet which is like ... 18.4" screen with a snapdragon 835. I dunno, something that big might need a better gpu.

Apparently there's a new Nokia tablet which is like ... 18.4" screen with a snapdragon 835. I dunno, something that big might need a better gpu.

nah, 1080p, or 1440p which it probably will be, is the same 'difficulty' to drive whether it's a 4" phone or a 40" bigscreen.

Besides, it's only games that will suffer, and as above, I don't think that's their target market whatsoever....

Good news, the Nokia 3310 is official.

The bad news, its still 2.5g

So it wont work over here?

It'll need to be 3G frequencies to work anymore.

Yep, its still a gsm phone so its a useless brick in Australia. No 3g or 4g since they used the same comms chip from 2g nokias

My new LG has dual SIM, the second one is 2G only. I thought "why fuckingwell bother?" - I'd much rather have something actually usable like NFC or a bit of extra Ram.