Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobbartley

Which mid range graphics card

Hi,

I was hoping that i might be able to get some advice. I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to building computers, but i'm realistic and not 100% in all my decisions. I am building a gaming machine, more for my son than for me, I'll use the computer for some photoshop/after affects and some video editing. What i am wondering is which graphics card will be a good all rounder, but leans towards games, old and new. I am looking at about $500 or less would be preferred. Here are the specs so far.

ASRock Z170 Pro4/D3 LGA1151 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 6500 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.2 GHz CPU Processor

Antec GX900 Punisher ATX Gaming Mid-Tower Case

8 gig ripjaws 12800cl

Samsung 250g ssd

1tb HD

I was tossing up between AMDs rx 480 or the r9 fury which seems to be a pretty good performer for the price but older tech or the r9 390

Do you think I would notice the difference in games between these cards??

Also, is there much difference between brands?

Cheers,

Get a B150 series motherboard.

I just bought an Asrock B150 Pro4.

Its cheaper, and you don't need the Z170 for a non-K chip.

With that saved money on the motherboard, I'd get a GTX 1070, or a 1060 if I'm feeling cheap. They look to overclock like a beast!

Ah, right.

It will depend on your BIOS, you'll need an older one, to be able to OC non K chips. Intel patched it in the later BIOS's of almost all manufacturers.

or.....

should i scrap my old ram and buy 8gig of ddr4 with a cheaper MB??

I think a 1070 might be out of my reach....

I'm liking the sapphire fury for $80 more than the rx 480... seems to have a fair bit better performance for the money, even if it is an older card

Well keep in mind the B150 board doesn't overclock; even with BIOS\UEFI trickery. so there is that.

If it were me? I'd be going to DDR4 ram and a new board, personally.

How long do you plan to keep this PC? Sometimes that 'out of reach' part is just oh so worth it in hindsight.

No problem.

It's always the trade off. THe latest and greatest is usually too expensive to be worthwhile.

Because a $500 card now, and a $500 card in 4 years time, will keep the machine gaming above average for the foreseeable future.

Where as if you buy a $1000 card now, you'll likely run out fo performance after 5 years, and need an upgrade anyway. You save nothing.

Hence my 1070, not 1080 suggestion.

Keep an eye out for things like this:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/258318

They come up fairly regularly. It might even be worth using your old GPU for a month or two until the prices drop\deals come by.

\

Ive said it before, but its true:

While you can always "wait for the next tech" you end up wasting time waiting and there's always something around the corner.

But this time, we've just come around the corner, the 1070/1080 IS a significant jump in performance and isnt likely to be seen again for a good few years.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The RX480 and GTX1060 are too hobbled. The GTX1070 is great compromise between performance and price.