Sign in to follow this  
Opy

Corsair AX1200i

Different part numbers.

One mentions "Digital", who knows why.

I'd be tempted to say one simply paid for 80Plus rating testing and one didnt.

Thats a HUGE psu though dude, you'll need a wicked SLI beast to draw enough to put that PSU in its efficiency zone.

Yes, it's big. Largely for future proofing, partially for ePeen, Mostly because I think there is a better efficiency (Platinum) on higher power units. Also it is a troubleshooting step. My 850W unit has been okay, but I'm finding the second GTX580 is not being recognised now. I swapped both cards with my other GTX580s and it made no difference. This was fixed this once by replacing the mobo. But the issue returned a couple weeks later, making me wonder if it is a power issue.

I think the 'i' at the end of the AX1200i name indicates the digital capability of connecting a USB cable to a mobo header to monitor power and temps and even other components via an on screen application.

Yes, it's big. Largely for future proofing, partially for ePeen, Mostly because I think there is a better efficiency (Platinum) on higher power units. Also it is a troubleshooting step. My 850W unit has been okay, but I'm finding the second GTX580 is not being recognised now. I swapped both cards with my other GTX580s and it made no difference. This was fixed this once by replacing the mobo. But the issue returned a couple weeks later, making me wonder if it is a power issue.

I think the 'i' at the end of the AX1200i name indicates the digital capability of connecting a USB cable to a mobo header to monitor power and temps and even other components via an on screen application.

It's all for epeen mate. You will not need that much power for future proofing as graphics cards are only getting more power efficient. You would be better of upgrading your graphics card to a nice new single fast power efficient card that uses way less power then a single 580 let alone 2 of them and will out perform them too!

Have you tried the cards with another PSU?

Also there is only one Corsair AX 1200i so I can't understand why they have it listed twice with 2 different prices. Just looks dodgy or lazy to me.

Also there is only one Corsair AX 1200i so I can't understand why they have it listed twice with 2 different prices. Just looks dodgy or lazy to me.

As above, I'd bet one is pre-80+ certification and one is post.

Probably no difference in the product.

agreed ditch the gtx 580 get a gtx1070 and you will only need a 300-400w psu with a typical modern i5 sytem

Well, I have an AX1200i and a GTX1080 (Asus NVIDIA GeForce STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING) in my cart at the moment.
Customers keep interrupting me, so not purchased yet.
Thanks for the input guys. You are helping me talk myself out of spending money that could be going to another crucial cause; scotch.

Doh, I failed to talk myself out of it.

Edited by Opy

you would need 3 titan x $1200us rrp and a i7 6950 ~$2500au all overclocked to make use of the 1200w psu

Well, I have an AX1200i and a GTX1080 (Asus NVIDIA GeForce STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING) in my cart at the moment.
Customers keep interrupting me, so not purchased yet.
Thanks for the input guys. You are helping me talk myself out of spending money that could be going to another crucial cause; scotch.

Doh, I failed to talk myself out of it.

Damn.

That PSU is going to behave like balls with such low load :(

Now you need another 4 1080's, or a server board and multiple Xeons to make sure you get it into the 75%+ range to meet its ratings.

As they only come with a single DVI-D DualLink, I need converters to run my 4 monitors or 4x GTX1080 cards. Actually, I'll likely run 2 GTX580 cards for the other monitors.
Pumps and fans and the couple extra lights in my slowly progressing build won't draw a lot more power, relatively, but at least I can be certain I'm not going to hit a power bottleneck.

gtx 1080 only support sli up to two cards for games

NVIDIA will enable support for three and four card configurations in future drivers (without a key) for specific overclocking/benchmarking tools only, as a way to make sure the GeForce brand doesn't fall off the 3DMark charts. Only those specific applications will be able operate in the 3-Way and 4-Way SLI configurations that you have come to know. There are no profiles to change manually and even the rare games that might have "just worked" with three or four GPUs will not take advantage of more than two GTX 10-series cards. It's fair to say at this point that except for the benchmarking crowd, NVIDIA 3-Way and 4-Way SLI is over.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1080-and-1070-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-will-not-be-enabled-games

Edited by Dasa

That's a little saddening. Have seen some great looking rigs in 4-way SLI.
Personally, I'm not fussed about using SLI. I've used it but can't support all of my monitors with the hodge-podge setup I have.

I am trying to hold on to 3dVision for the rare use. So I'd ideally like to run 4200+ by 2160 at 120Hz.

The monitoring software for the PSU was not something I was overly interested in, but it could be cool to see where the power is getting drawn from.
I should find the power point adapter I bought half an eon ago to monitor power draw and maybe I can compare them.

Emailed Corsair Australia support.

The AX1200i has a self test button that starts the fan and glows green to show all is well.
The ATX cable is a single piece on the mobo end, but 2 plugs on the PSU end. The larger one has no problem. After plugging in the smaller one, the self test fails.

Interestingly, the other end of the cable is not plugged in at all. I'm guessing the wires in the mesh are somehow connecting with each other, otherwise something with the socket is broken and it is pushing a female pin through to where it shouldn't be.

When I get a chance, I may put some tequila in it to see if it helps.

The cheaper AX1200i said it was platinum certified.

So, still don't know what difference there may be. Possibly something pretty in the box.

It's been sent away for repair. I don't seem to have luck with Corsair hardware.

I know it is a preferred brand among enthusiasts but I've had problems with RAM, keyboards and now a PSU. I can't think of any Corsair items I've had that have actually lasted.

Oh, there was some RAM a few years back that I just couldn't use as it needed more power than my mobo could provide. Ripjaws saved the day for me. So maybe they were fine. Probably DDR2, so no good to me now anyway.

Getting refund. I was kinda looking forward to seeing all the different power readings from the PSU software. Ah well.

At least I can run all 4 monitors now.

As Mohawk pointed out, the new GTX10xx range is more power efficient. So my 850W seems happy to run a GTX580 and a GTX1080. But 2 GTX580s was a bit much. It was fine for the first few years. Then became an alcoholic and just didn't want to do as much work.