chrisg

This Census

I really had not bothered to take a lot of notice of the thing until last weekend, but fuck, do they really know what they are doing ?

Moving it to online, heh, simpler systems like Mygov collapse quite often, imagine what is going to happen next Tuesday...

To make it more interesting we decided to just get the paper being our net is not hugely fast, been calling for two days so far...

It is going to be a debacle, probably a mass boycott and have you seen the fines they are threatening us with !?!

Cheers

Yep,

I can't see how they wont. We are rather used to the census being something you do at a sort of fixed times, they have not exactly emphasised we do have a few days this one.

The privacy invasions are also rather concerning but if the servers do crash, well, teach the morons not to rely on tech when they don't need to :)

Cheers

As i posted the other day it is no longer anonymous.

Maybe the are using the census to test the feasibility to do online voting ?

Why would they want to rig the census though?

I really, really doubt that the morons have that capacity for forward planning, honestly, you visited a government department of late ? :)

The anonymous bit I think we might see a back pedal on this week, social media lit up like Guy Fawkes night the last 48 hours.

Going to be interesting...

Cheers

Seems stupid to me that it can only be done on the night.

OK, they still have that ridiculous insistence that I doubt many adhere to, in that you're supposed to count anyone who happens to be at your place at that point in time.

A much better option would be to allow entry of details beforehand, then have a review/edit/submit process where the submit process is only allowed on the night.

But we are talking "The government" so fuckups at every point in the process are par for the course.

Supposedly the last time with the online submission there was a big clusterfuck in that there was lost data because the final submit process was obscure and many people just quit the page before hitting the button.

An online voting system wouldn't have to handle the amount of data a census does, since it's just a bunch of number. The census is a whole of lot of numbers, text and yes/no going into pages. Voter verification will be huge issue though as not everyone uses that **** mygov clusterf.

Edited by Jeruselem

I live in a granny flat, and given the circumstances of this particular census, I couldn't care less if I don't participate. I'll just tell the home-owner that I did it online, and forget the whole thing.

When on paper it sort of made sense as a snapshot but according to their own statistics there are around nine million households in this country, I don't have any idea if all of them have Net but I also think some of them will have multiple occupants who answer individually because they don't quite get the way it is supposed to work.

It is going to be a clusterfuck, you ever tried to set up a distributed server environment to support even a few hundred thousand users ? I have, I'd be very, very surprised if these morons have clue one about how to deal with that load. There's also the little matter that the Internet is a shared environment, I don't think Netflix will be on the agenda next Tuesday...

Cheers

ABS in general I would consider above average with IT general competence among government agencies although I've not had anything to do with them for a long time.

But yeah, one-off events where potentially tens of millions of transactions buzzing around per hour in a short timeframe... potential for disaster.

Especially given that they'll probably only have a 6 hour window for people to fill it in. The problem there is that everyone except WA is essentially in the same timezone, SA 30 minutes behind barely rates as different.

One thing, they don't say how long you have to spend filling in the census online.

Edited by Jeruselem

From memory it wasn't long for the last one, probably under 25 minutes.

In theory if they did the thing right there'd only be need for a dozen or so transactions, most of it's multiple choice and there should be no need for bullshit duplex, predictive interaction like some search engines now use.

My envelope came wet and stuck together.

Do I have to request a new one?

Is there unique codes or some shit they'll re-issue?

What fines are they threatening?

$500 Great scam if you ask me. I wonder how many people will apply government-level transparency to their answers because of the anonymity issue?

$500 Great scam if you ask me. I wonder how many people will apply government-level transparency to their answers because of the anonymity issue?

goverment level transparency?

See: Clear as mud

Um, $1800 for not submitting or $180 per day for being late....

I dunno Ry, they are a bit better than typical government IT folks but according to a scan I just ran they have a whole 16 central servers, that does not seem too smart but maybe I'm not seeing them all...

Cheers

See: Clear as mud

So; Lie?

• Like 1

I should think they'd be outsourcing on the day. In the general run of things it's not like outsiders are hitting them up much.

What the census needs though is a front page as such...

Welcome to the 2016 Australian Census

Select from the following options:

[ ] Fill census form

[ ] Quit - None of your cunting business!

I should think they'd be outsourcing on the day. In the general run of things it's not like outsiders are hitting them up much.

[ ] Fill census form

[ ] Fill census form

Most of what's on there kinda is their business though.

I know "hurr durr muh privacies lulz", but the census is important for planning infrastructure and whatnot.

Hmm,

Outsourcing would bother the privacy folks even more, I'm talking about servers set up purely for the census, currently doing nothing, but I only did a gentle tap, not anything to get me noticed ;)

All I saw was 16, which might seem like a lot but it isn't, I had more than than for 150,000 users and despite hardware improvements it has not scaled to this level.

Ah well, when it melts they might have to re-think.

Cheers

[ ] Fill census form

Most of what's on there kinda is their business though.

I know "hurr durr muh privacies lulz", but the census is important for planning infrastructure and whatnot.

Yeah it is squall but it doesn't need the personal information, it's called the Bureau of Statistics, not of Identity Theft...

Cheers

http://abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/privacy?opendocument&navpos=130

"the personal information you provide in the Census remains strictly confidential to the ABS. The ABS never has and never will release identifiable Census data."

There is no rational reason not to believe this.

Edited by SquallStrife