chrisg

This Census

http://abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/privacy?opendocument&navpos=130

"the personal information you provide in the Census remains strictly confidential to the ABS. The ABS never has and never will release identifiable Census data."

There is no rational reason not to believe this.

cos the government would never lie to us?

How about if a future government changes the rules?

How about if they start data matching all of your info with other government depts?

If they don't intend to make use of your personal info in some way then why collect it now? What's it going to get them that they couldn't get from all of the previous censii (sp?)

Unless someone walks up to my door and hands me a form and says I gotta fill it out, I very much doubt any census action from this

meager little household . So many operations know where to find you if there is a strong enough desire to do so. I'm having trouble getting

too worked up about them wanting more personal info other than already requested in years gone by.

An online voting system wouldn't have to handle the amount of data a census does, since it's just a bunch of number. The census is a whole of lot of numbers, text and yes/no going into pages. Voter verification will be huge issue though as not everyone uses that **** mygov clusterf.

I won't be doing any voting on line either .

I should think they'd be outsourcing on the day. In the general run of things it's not like outsiders are hitting them up much.

What the census needs though is a front page as such...

Welcome to the 2016 Australian Census

Select from the following options:

[ ] Fill census form

[ ] Quit - None of your cunting business!

Most of what's on there kinda is their business though.

I know "hurr durr muh privacies lulz", but the census is important for planning infrastructure and whatnot.

No no no no that doesn't wash anymore ;)

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

The 1300820275 is very busy lol

Yeah, we did finally get through today and paper version is on its way.

I'm not usually very paranoid about these things but this time I simply do not trust the fuckers.

Cheers

• Like 1

k squall, can i have your address and social? hows bout dob and drivers license number?

Non sequitur. You aren't the ABS. Troll harder.

cos the government would never lie to us?

It's not a pinky promise, it's THE LAW. And not just blanket Privacy Act law, it's law that specifically governs the ABS.

How about if a future government changes the rules?

What about 'til the cows come home.

If they don't intend to make use of your personal info in some way then why collect it now? What's it going to get them that they couldn't get from all of the previous censii (sp?)

Since nobody is reading the link:

Are names and addresses compulsory in the Census?

Names and addresses have been collected in every Census.

Names and addresses are specified in the Census Regulations as Statistical Information, like all other Census topics. This requires the ABS to collect this information as part of the Census. The requirement for all topics, including names and address, on the Census forms to be filled completely and accurately is consistent with 105 years of Australian Census practice, the Census and Statistics Act 1905 and legal advice to the ABS from the Australian Government Solicitor. The only exception is religion, which the legislation specifies is optional.

Why does the ABS collect names and address in the Census?

The collection of names and addresses in the Census is a critical part of ensuring the quality and value of the Census.

Names are collected in the Census for a number of reasons, including:

To assist householders completing the form to report the relevant information for each person

To ensure the Census covers the entire population and data is of high quality

To enhance the value of Census data, by combining it with other national datasets to better inform government decisions in important areas such as health, education, infrastructure and the economy.

Addresses are collected in the Census for a number of reasons, including:

The ability to release data for geographic areas, such as postal areas, states and territories, capital cities, towns, remote areas and many more

To ensure that no household is missed in the Census

To produce both usual residence and Census night population counts

To provide insights on the internal migration of people within Australia.

The ABS commenced using names and addresses to enhance Census data through data integration in the 2006 Census. This change followed community consultation in 2005, and has been transparently communicated through media releases, public submission papers, privacy impact assessments, published research, stakeholder consultation and the ABS website. More information of these publications, papers and the statistics produced is available in the ABS Statistical Data Integration: Data and Publications page.

What are the benefits of retaining names and address collected in the Census?

The benefits of retaining names and address in the Census are significant. Names and addresses will be used by the ABS to generate anonymous keys that can be used to combine existing data sets to create richer and more valuable statistics for Australia.

The new data sets, containing no names and addresses, will improve the lives of Australians by:

better informing decisions, policies and services in important areas like health, education, infrastructure and the economy

enabling greater use of existing data and reducing the burden on individuals to provide data that is already available

providing additional insights and more confidence in decisions, particularly for the most vulnerable and challenging policy areas.

The use of anonymised names during the linkage process will ensure that Australians can have confidence in the quality of the data that is being used to support decisions. If governments and decisions makers are to make smart choices affecting all our lives, they need the best possible statistics.

Consistent with public commitments, the ABS has destroyed all names and addresses collected in the 2011, 2006 and all previous Censuses. These were destroyed at the end of the processing and evaluation period – approximately eighteen months after the conduct of the Census.

More information about the benefits of Data Integration is available on the Data Integration Frequently Asked Questions page

I'm not usually very paranoid about these things but this time I simply do not trust the fuckers.

Cheers

How is doing it by paper any more secure than doing it online?

How do you know, for absolute certain, that I don't work for the ABS? For alls you know, I'm the cat who'll be coming to your door to drop it off/pick it up.

Cheers

How is doing it by paper any more secure than doing it online?

In the end it's not but if they melt down, as I rather think they will next week I'll have a copy to prove my details were sent in so they can't fine me.

I've been through this shit once with the ATO and MyGov, not interested in their pathetic attempts at digitising their systems which usually seems to involve letting the coding out to the lowest bidder.

Cheers

How do you know, for absolute certain, that I don't work for the ABS? For alls you know, I'm the cat who'll be coming to your door to drop it off/pick it up.

It'd be pretty easy.

As someone who HAS previously worked for a government, making me a public servant, all I'd have to do is ASK.

and you'd be bound by law to identify yourself, in Name, and Occupation, as a public servant.

So, do you work for the ABS, if so, please identify yourself as a public servant to us, the public :)

• Like 1

Non sequitur. The discussion is not about ABS employees failing/refusing to identify themselves, or fraudulent persons posing as ABS employees.

Unfortunately, you aren't asking ME, you're asking the phenomenal 187... With that said, if you WERE asking me, I could lie. Either way.

Either say I don't when I do or say I do when I don't.

Which is about the level of honesty our government shows us, the public...

Unfortunately, you aren't asking ME, you're asking the phenomenal 187... With that said, if you WERE asking me, I could lie. Either way.

Ok.

You're weird.

• Like 1

I won't be at home if ABS people turn up anyway to hassle me to collect the form, always at work most of the day.

Edited by Jeruselem

Ok.

You're weird.

Thanks!

You can say you do when you dont, sure.

But saying you dont when you do isn't usually worth your job, the ridiculous fine, nor the 'ban from public service jobs' in future.

You'd be daft to lie.

Especially with the new data retention and the lengths lazy people on the internet go to, to prove a point. lol.

as for honesty they show; a lot of people get confused between not telling us, and people not asking.

For example, we had one member of the public very interested in what projects were being funded right now.

We told him, there's no NDA's in place in 99% of government.

If there's information you want, or need, simply book an appointment with the relevant department and ask.

A surprising amount of the public DO that.

While it'd be nice if we allwent to the papers or internet to announce it; don't take the lack of announcements to mean secrets.

Though Births\Marriage\Adoption services, that place is fort knox. I couldnt even fix the microfilm scanner in there without a 3 guard entourage. ..... and I was directly employed too!

Edited by Master_Scythe

http://abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/privacy?opendocument&navpos=130

"the personal information you provide in the Census remains strictly confidential to the ABS. The ABS never has and never will release identifiable Census data."

There is no rational reason not to believe this.

Yes there is. The ABS is made out of people and when governments don't get what they want from a government department, they fire those people and replace them with yes men. Tony Abbott did it a bunch of times and only Gillian Triggs stood up to him. The Freedom of Information Commissioner, e.g. did not, left quietly and got replaced by a Liberal Party lackey.

Public servants including the ABS just do what the government of time want, even if it is not ethical at all.

Yes there is. The ABS is made out of people and when governments don't get what they want from a government department, they fire those people and replace them with yes men. Tony Abbott did it a bunch of times and only Gillian Triggs stood up to him. The Freedom of Information Commissioner, e.g. did not, left quietly and got replaced by a Liberal Party lackey.

I might believe that, if it weren't for the Census and Statistics Act 1905 that makes it expressly illegal.

Walt went to collect our letter from the post box only to discover there wasn't one. So in he went to see the lady at the counter.

She informed him that Mossman and surrounding locals were considered not capable of using on-line services so we would have a

census delivered to us :)

I'm rather assuming that it's because every man and his dog and the ABS know that we are sorely neglected when it comes to the net connection.

And that even giving the two week pass in order for those having trouble to do their census on line would still leave us well behind the cut off time.

People on the other side of the Daintree still have to use generators...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/census-2016-what-the-bureau-of-statistics-is-going-to-do-with-our-names-20160805-gqlzlg.html

That four years anonymous thing with the census is all lies

'For the first time, your name will be held for four years, instead of being destroyed after processing as has happened in the past. However, the linkage keys will be kept indefinitely, meaning the answers to future survey questions can be linked to answers from the census even after the names have been removed."

Edited by Jeruselem