chrisg

This Census

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/census-2016-what-the-bureau-of-statistics-is-going-to-do-with-our-names-20160805-gqlzlg.html

That four years anonymous thing with the census is all lies

'For the first time, your name will be held for four years, instead of being destroyed after processing as has happened in the past. However, the linkage keys will be kept indefinitely, meaning the answers to future survey questions can be linked to answers from the census even after the names have been removed."

Im normally a huge privacy advocate, but really, this is a government organization. What DON'T they know already?

I know in THEORY they're not 'allowed to talk' to each other, but come on.

Criminal records? Yeah they can know that.

Where my money goes? Well the Tax man already gets that info.

Religion? Hardly a scary thing to divulge. Id imagine "Muslims" might be concerned how they'll be viewed.

I don't know what information the Census is going to ask, but I can't think of much that the 'government' doesn't already know.

I used to feel worried based on the whole 'framed, need to escape' ciche, but I realised I'd probably not be caring what information they have if it came to that. I'd be skipping the country, restarting all the tech under a new name and 'disappear'.

So, why was I even worried to begin with?

TOPICS RELATING TO PERSONS

Name
Sex
Residential status in non-private dwelling
Registered marital status
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin
Usual residence at Census time
Internal migration
Australian citizenship
Country of birth
Year of arrival in Australia
Country of birth of parents
Main language other than English spoken at home
Proficiency in spoken English
Ancestry
Religious affiliation
Need for assistance
Attendance at an educational institution
Highest year of schooling completed
Non-school qualifications
Number of children ever born
Income (individual)
Labour force status
Status in employment (now incorporates Employment type)
Occupation
Public or Private employer indicator
Workplace address (and Journey to work)
Industry of employment
Hours worked
Method of travel to work
Unpaid work
TOPICS RELATING TO HOUSEHOLDS AND DWELLINGS

Address on Census Night
Family relationship (and Social marital status)
Income (family and household income)
Number of motor vehicles garaged
Number of bedrooms
Tenure type
Landlord type (formerly named Rent/landlord type)
Housing costs (formerly named Mortgage repayments)
Dwelling internet connection
Dwelling structure
Location of private dwelling
Type of non-private dwelling

Nothing I'd bat an eyelid about revealing on, say, a government job signup form. I'm sure they have all that already.

Not nearly as scary as thought.

Yep, it's all a beat-up.

The first mumblings of changes to what's collected were communicated poorly, which through the MAGIC OF THE INTERNET got mangled and turned into MUH PRIVACIES HURRRRR, and the peanut gallery took that alarmism at face value, regurgitating it to their trusting colleagues and friends.

If the ABS had just said nothing, it would be a non-issue.

As I said, they only time I'd be concerned about 'secret agencies' misusing that sort of 'public' data, was if you identified with a commonly extremist group\religion, or if you identify as an 'uncommon' gender\thing.

I can already see the "52 Muslims in one house?! better raid it!"..... 'How did you know they were here?' ....... "errr.... Intel?"

and "Male? Female? Where is Gender Fluid Asexual Elf?"

You lot are pretty trusting of the government, but we all know they say one thing and do another

You lot are pretty trusting of the government, but we all know they say one thing and do another

"The government" is such a large and diverse thing that it is indeed possible (or even reasonable) to think that while some parts of it are known to be untrustworthy, other parts of it are probably not.

Making a decision that it's OK to tell THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF INFORMATION to the ABS (which has a pretty good track record) is not the same as "LOL U TRUST GOVERNMENT IDIOT".

OTOH... "biggest ever privacy threat" fucking LOL.

Google recording a detailed history of your physical location vs time is a privacy threat. Facebook getting hacked and your nudes being made public is a privacy threat.

Telling the government the method (not even the route, date, time) you use to get to work (so they can decide if maybe the main road near you will need upgrades in 5-10 years)? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Edited by SquallStrife

No, just of THIS data.

I'm certain they already know where I live, my name, that I'm not married, and where I work.

Thats basically the whole census.

No, just of THIS data.

I'm certain they already know where I live, my name, that I'm not married, and where I work.

If they lie about everything else, they'll lie about this census as well.

No, just of THIS data.

So you're suggesting my data is even LESS important to them, since they're going to ignore it anyway?

Neat! I'm failing to see the point though.

Yes. The government lies about "everything".

*rolls eyes*

It's funny, I've worked a lot for the government.

For many years in fact.

The very idea that you mess with "the data" of something is so ludicrous that you'd be fired for just making the joke.

And if it's one thing you can be thankful for that you normally wouldn't; it's that the government is SO segregated that if you tried to cover something up, the 5000people who saw it before hand would need silencing; and its just not financially feesable to pay off that many people.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Never mind that, the arguments I've heard so far have been 100% slogans, rhetoric, speculation, and conjecture.

Hmm,

I don't think the real privacy concern is over the Government messing with or exchanging the data, despite popular belief I'm well aware that they just do not integrate data at all well and in many cases legislation prohibits them from doing so.

No, the bigger concern is that the ABS could be hacked, but that sort of overlooks that the data being collected is not really of much use to an identity thief.

No, I think the bigger concern is that with 9 million households the overwhelming majority of which are going to be logging on or trying to tomorrow night the system or the net itself at choke points, is going to crash...

Cheers

Hmm,

I don't think the real privacy concern is over the Government messing with or exchanging the data, despite popular belief I'm well aware that they just do not integrate data at all well and in many cases legislation prohibits them from doing so.

No, the bigger concern is that the ABS could be hacked, but that sort of overlooks that the data being collected is not really of much use to an identity thief.

No, I think the bigger concern is that with 9 million households the overwhelming majority of which are going to be logging on or trying to tomorrow night the system or the net itself at choke points, is going to crash...

Cheers

13 record security breaches (reported voluntarily) since 2013, doesn't include the ones not reported.

Edited by Jeruselem

Hmm,

Cheers

13 record security breaches (reported voluntarily) since 2013, doesn't include the ones not reported.

Im sure google knows more about me already. And thanks to HTTPS not being as secure as once believed, I'm sure plenty of people know stuff.

Hell, one bank record probably shows more about someones 'location' than the Census; and plenty of banks have had minor breaches.

Reported security breaches aren't the ones you are concerned about, it's the ones they don't report.

I just finished mine, no problems. Took all of about 8 minutes.

Stiff shit if I'm not home tomorrow night or if someone else comes over.

I just finished mine, no problems. Took all of about 8 minutes.

Stiff shit if I'm not home tomorrow night or if someone else comes over.

Still waiting for mine!

A cursory search reveals that while the number is proudly reported across news outlets, the details of the 13 (14 depending on the outlet) are MIA.

I would expect that nearly all of these are the public-facing web site being defaced or being subject to targeted denial-of-service.

I suppose at the end of the day, my groan is that people's selfishness and paranoia will impact delivery of service and infrastructure expansions.

Or to put it bluntly:

I'll be pretty pissed if you narcissistic fuckers fucking with census means I'm stuck with shittier-than-otherwise roads for the next five years!!!

OTOH, I'll be laughing pretty hard if these boycott-wankers start whingeing "Where's the funding for public transport??". IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT, FUCKFACE.

(Above said firmly tongue in cheek.)

Edited by SquallStrife

Squall: It's not what the ABS/gov does with our data.

It's things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/australian-bureau-of-statistics-reports-14-data-breaches-since-2013

14 data breaches since 2013.

And it was reported by ABS. Not some random news. ABS damn well said it. From horses mouth.

The fact that they are allowing SHA-1 encryption for 'backward compatibility of browsers' (thus compromising a component of the network).

I don't trust them with identifiable information. Not from what they'd do with it, but because I don't trust their ability to keep that data from being compromised.

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

We're all overlooking the obvious though.

This data, this specific data ISN'T unique to this Census.

Department of Transport is very insecure, trust me on that (or don't, no skin off my nose, but I have some experience) and they have my address, name, what car I own, where its parked, who my insurer is.

Even less secure again are the people who handle government housing. Child safety and Adoptions step up a fair bit, but not as much as an "it professional" would likely expect.

Police' new system too, with the 'smart chips' and OCR based ipad scanners for ID and licences is even LESS secure again, you have a 'photo' of your ID stored and transferred.... somewhere?

I get it, its the idea behind the data collection that is offensive, but this census data being a threat?

There's probably only 1 or 2 things I wouldn't happily shout to a room of complete strangers, and those things, are already known by a pretty large handful of departments.

I'll be doing it via a VPN, since linking my ISP and web-data to the census steps it up SIGNIFICANTLY, but other than that, seems simple enough.

Hmm,

I suppose we all read about their "employing hackers" to test the integrity of the system.

A number of my friends work security at very high levels, banks, military etc, they were not asked but they did go look to see first if they knew any of the guys and second to see what happened if they tapped on the system.

They ruefully reported the so-called hackers were mostly script kiddies and the security was pathetic. As AD notes, the number of ways to decrypt SHA-1... geez.. but it's far more than that, in a quick pass the guys noted multiple well documented vulnerabilities.

However as I said, I just don't think an identity thief would get much of a harvest, the seeds maybe to go looking elsewhere, you can get those from White Pages....

Cheers

Squall: It's not what the ABS/gov does with our data.

It's things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/australian-bureau-of-statistics-reports-14-data-breaches-since-2013

14 data breaches since 2013.

And it was reported by ABS. Not some random news. ABS damn well said it. From horses mouth.

That's exactly the kind of article I was talking about. To quote myself:

A cursory search reveals that while the number is proudly reported across news outlets, the details of the 13 (14 depending on the outlet) are MIA.

The fact that they are allowing SHA-1 encryption for 'backward compatibility of browsers' (thus compromising a component of the network).

I don't trust them with identifiable information. Not from what they'd do with it, but because I don't trust their ability to keep that data from being compromised.

AD

Whoever told you that is talking out of their ass.

SHA-1 is not an encryption scheme.