Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

New Lab machine

Hi people,

As I work in IT I like to have a machine where I can spin up a few VMs I have a home "lab". My current lab machine has existed since I was a uni

Forgotten model number of most components :P, but anyway:

CPU: Intel Xeon 4c/8t

RAM: 32GB Crucial

Mobo: MSI Z77A-gd65

SSD: 1x 500GB SSD Samsung Pro

HDD: 2x 2TB HDD Seagate

PSU: Corsair 860 AX

Cooler: Collermaster Evo 212+

It's ok, but time for a change.

So now that I've been working for 2 years I decided to upgrade. I picked up a new motherboard, cpu, ram and cooler. The rest is stuff from earlier.

It turned out like this. Will be running Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 when it's released in September.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4, 10c/20t

RAM: 128GB Crucial ECC Registered Dimm

Mobo: SuperMicro MBD-X10SRL-F

SSD: 2x 250GB Intel 240 (RAID 0 for lab machines)

SSD: 1x 500GB Samsung Pro (For lab machines)

HDD: 4x 1TB WD RE4 Enterprise (RAID 10, for data and a few VM's which I wan't to protect)

HDD: 2x 500GB WD RE4 Enterprise (RAID 1, for OS)

PSU: Corsair 860 AX

Cooler: Noctura NH-U9DX i4*

Case: Fractal Design R4

The board has 10 sata ports so that leaves me with an extra port for maybe another SSD later on.

I think I'll have to run a Super Pi on that 10c/20t and see how it goes :D. Not sure how Super Pi reacts to more cores with a lower frequency....??

The parts are in the mail, so not long until they arrive.

Edited by smakme7757

Nice. But how about doing VM at the lowest level, ie partition hardware resources using VT-x, VT-d then run a type 1/bare metal hypervisor.

Though in doing so it consumes a lot of resources from the onset. But massive cred value.

SuperPi AFAIK in itself is still only a single threaded bench but there are forks/derivatives that do multi-threading. In my experience it benefits most from plenty of fast Ram, probably likes a decent CPU cache and naturally CPU MHz but an increase in CPU speed only goes so far as diminishing returns are realised due to memory speed. Triple or quad-channel Ram setup should be of help as well but really the bench is somewhat dated and not optimised for modern day features as such.

wPrime is somewhat better for guageing multi-core performance and benefits from those things already mentioned but can also ramp up considerably by running threads = <# of logical processors>, ie enable HTT and run as many threads as to use all available resources.

SuperPi, in the modern day anything over 12 seconds for 1M not worthy of mentioning. wPrime on 8 threads, anything over 9 seconds not bragworthy.

On that CPU at stock speed/HTT and turbo enabled I imagine you'd probably get speeds of about 11-12 seconds for SuperPI 1M and wPrime 32M/20 threads should come in somewheere around 4-5 seconds.

Nice. But how about doing VM at the lowest level, ie partition hardware resources using VT-x, VT-d then run a type 1/bare metal hypervisor.

Though in doing so it consumes a lot of resources from the onset. But massive cred value.

SuperPi AFAIK in itself is still only a single threaded bench but there are forks/derivatives that do multi-threading. In my experience it benefits most from plenty of fast Ram, probably likes a decent CPU cache and naturally CPU MHz but an increase in CPU speed only goes so far as diminishing returns are realised due to memory speed. Triple or quad-channel Ram setup should be of help as well but really the bench is somewhat dated and not optimised for modern day features as such.

wPrime is somewhat better for guageing multi-core performance and benefits from those things already mentioned but can also ramp up considerably by running threads = <# of logical processors>, ie enable HTT and run as many threads as to use all available resources.

SuperPi, in the modern day anything over 12 seconds for 1M not worthy of mentioning. wPrime on 8 threads, anything over 9 seconds not bragworthy.

On that CPU at stock speed/HTT and turbo enabled I imagine you'd probably get speeds of about 11-12 seconds for SuperPI 1M and wPrime 32M/20 threads should come in somewheere around 4-5 seconds.

It's interesting that you should mention a Type 1 hypervisor. Because Hyper-V is infact a type 1 hypervisor. Most people think Hyper-V is a type 2, like VMWare Workstation, but it's actually not the case.

For storage management I'll be using Windows Storage spaces to configure storage except the initial RAID 1 array which will use the motherboards builtin raid.

thanks for the explanation of Prime and Pi. I'll do i few runs at stock before putting the server into action. It will be fun to have a 10c/20t result in there just for the fun of it.

Edited by smakme7757

Type 2 VM's on top of a ZFS based storage solution.

aka. freeNAS or Solaris with VM's on it....... do it :P

No :).

But what I wouldn't mind trying is running KVM as the hypervisor. I'd just use Ubuntu or CentOS. But then put my GTX 980 in the server and spin up a VM with the GTX 980 passed through. Then try to game on the VM. It's supposed to work pretty well, so it would be kinda cool to try it out.

I got the server all setup last night. IPMI is a godsend. Got everythnig setup and never even connected a screen :).

2630v4-128gb-ram_zpsczvggswo.png

At least the new windows hosts are running ReFS.... right?..... right?....

haha.
ReFS can be used to store vhdx files, but you have to disable integrity streams for it to work otherwise hyper-v gets a bit upset (in 2012 R2). The guys at work have been talking about ReFSv2 which comes with Server 2016 and is supposed to be optimized for VHDX storage. I havn't read much about it yet though.
I'll stick with NTFS until server 2016 comes along then I'll make the switch. I've got an MSDN subscription so I'll get Server 2016 at release and will most likely upgrade right away.
edit* Weird formatting...strange
Edited by smakme7757