ins1ght1

new pc build looking at cooling

Hi guys

looking to build a new PC, been awhile since the last build (i7 920 research on this forum...lasted 10 years) and cant decide on a few things.

this is what i am looking to go with.

CPU Intel Core i7 6700K
MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM G.Skill 3000c15 2x8 16GB Ripjaws or 32GB
GPU GTX1080 8GB
SSD 256 OEM M.2 Samsung
PSU Corsair HX850i Platinum
CASE Fractal Design Define R5
HSF Noctua NH-D15S or Corsair Hydro Series H110 Liquid CPU Cooler with Noctua 140mm fan replacement.

I am looking to go for a understated and quite build hence the choice in case is aoi water cooling the best for this build? will the water cooling and fans fit this case ?

can anybody see anything they would change on this build. budget $2600

thanks heaps

cooling review

shows that even with noctua fans the nh-d15 is still quieter and offers same temps

aio only perform well at high noise levels or in a case with bad airflow and lots of gpu heat

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/22-liquid/44066-corsair-h110i-gt-and-h100i-gtx-clc-liquid-cooler-review

as for mb lots of options here is some decent choices if you care about the alc1150 audio
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 $189 mild oc single gpu
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming $259 mild oc sli

your looking at the sm961?

256g will run out fairly quick with games do you have another ssd for them?

nice psu but you could save some cash with evga 750 g2 if you wanted to

16g ram is more than enough for games if its for other work then 32g ram may be worth considering

Edited by Dasa

I've just done a build with an i5 6600K, I'm just using a coolermaster Hyper D92 (no water) $53 and I can't hear it unless I stick my head in the case. Seems to work great.

Dunno, something to think about

Water is nice, if you need it. But I always find pumps more noticable than fans (if not custom building the water).

As such I always end up back at the Noctua range of products U14 or C12 are my personal favorites. I much prefer the 'C' range (lay down tower) than the upright tower, I like the fan blowing over my motherboard PWM's and such.

All I'm saying is dont get hung up on water if you don't NEED it, I honestly find it more annoying.

Oh also, Gelid GC Extreme paste; non conductive, highest performing paste, and super easy to work with.

Do it!

• Like 1

I like the Gelid GC Extreme too. Good stuff and lasts long. I havent really messed with conductive stuff in awhile

I like the Gelid GC Extreme too. Good stuff and lasts long. I havent really messed with conductive stuff in awhile

Fucking expensive form the UK though.

And even worse through PC-Case-Gear; you found a local supplier?