Mag

Strange problems with Bios/Cmos?

Hi Guys n girls,

I'll start with some basic spes 1st.. Oh it's an oldie :)

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53GHz 43 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-S2L (Socket 775)
Graphics
ASUS VH222 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 210 (Gigabyte) 42 °C
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 25 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 ATA Device (SATA) 29 °C
931GB Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 24 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS324 B ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device..

Yesterday the PC wouldn't boot and kept getting hung up while trying to post, so fired it up in bios and had a look through.

The usual 4 boot options were gone except boot from add in cards (don't have any) WTF! It couldn't see any HDD's.

So I set every thing to default settings and tried again, still won't boot.

Back to Bios again and this time the drives where there but not on the the same master/slave channels as they should be, checked the boot order and it had Seagate expansion drive as 1st boot then the add in card and then the 2 hdd's :(

I changed the boot order to what it should be and it did boot but took a long time doing it!!

It was working but still not right and went through everything I knew of and still not right, bios settings moving around by themselves....I gave up and turned it off.

But thought later is the battery on the motherboard going flat?? I'll turn off the PC at the back on the PSU and leave it overnight and fire it up the next day to see it it still knows the day - date - time in bios...

Yeah time n date still correct so fired it up and all is good again "How"? I brought a CR2032 ready to replace the one on the motherboard just in case but so far it's not needed..

What do you think? Motherboard about to stuff-up or something else to cause this?

Working great ATM and booting up quite quickly as normal...

Try reset CMOS, try different Sata cables and preferably use different ports.

My P965 board has a couple of dodgy ports and had similar issues. It'd get 10-15 minutes into a Win install then just crash at random. Turned out the particular Sata port I was using was intermittent, and the Bios would alternate between showing nothing, hanging then showing something, and just acting normally.

Might also be worth pulling the board and blowing the dust out if it's getting dirty.

Thanks Rybags

Will do as per your instructions :)

Yes it is getting a bit dirty, I normally get the compressor on it every year in spring but I did miss last years clean...

Thanks for the reply cheers ;)

Compressed air can induce static so isn't the safest way to clean.

Thanks again,

Static oh that's not good for PC parts, sort of defeats anti-static parts bags and case earthed wrist straps...:(

Try reset CMOS, try different Sata cables and preferably use different ports.

My P965 board has a couple of dodgy ports and had similar issues. It'd get 10-15 minutes into a Win install then just crash at random. Turned out the particular Sata port I was using was intermittent, and the Bios would alternate between showing nothing, hanging then showing something, and just acting normally.

Might also be worth pulling the board and blowing the dust out if it's getting dirty.

The P965 board you mentioned is that the MSI board..?

Compressed air can induce static so isn't the safest way to clean.

While you're right, come on man.

If you have a compressor, and that compressor has a water trap, simply pin the fans so they can't spin (spinning fans are reverse charging parts, and over overvolting), and blow the damn thing out!

Even using a Pig Hair Brush will still move the dust, which is likely 'statically charged' around the board. There is no totally safe way to clean a PC, you just take the best ditch effort.

I'd imagine washing with Iso would be pretty safe, but then its Hydroscopic, so the second it sees air, its no longer pure Iso; also theres plenty of micro crevices to have to 'wait to dry' if you're on some sort of time constraint....

I've used vac with brush on heatsink while still attached, but don't feel comfortable doing it.

I think the safest effective way is probably hand held brush, or canned air but fucked if I'd ever pay for that.

I've used vac with brush on heatsink while still attached, but don't feel comfortable doing it.

I think the safest effective way is probably hand held brush, or canned air but fucked if I'd ever pay for that.

Nothing special about canned air, than compressed air, assuming you have a basic water trap.