bowlen

No Man's Sky

So I got this the other day on PS4 and have played it for a couple of hours. It certainly seems like an interesting concept, and I love the fact that it's so completely open....but there are also some down sides to it.

Everything you do in the game is so heavily resource hungry. I hate having to explore to find minerals etc and spend half the time mining stuff just to keep my life support charged, or my fuel tank full etc. Right now I'm trying to find antimatter to fuel my warp cells or something like that and I'm more worried about landing and not being able to take off again because I need resources to fill the tank, and also charge my mining tool, and also charge my life support etc.

What are your thoughts?

From what I've seen, the game doesn't really "start" until about 20 hours in when you start hyperdriving around the universe.

But after that point it's really very enjoyable.

I'm caught in the "Mine Emeril, sell it, upgrade my ship so I can mine more Emeril" loop

Once I have a kickass ship, I'm gonna head to the stars.

I'm annoyed that my system has now been visited by 3 different players, discovering all my stuff. (I think a lot of stuff I discovered also didn't sync... BAH)

Once you have 20+ slots in your exosuit, multi-tool and ship, you can start hoarding the essential resources, so finding them becomes less of a pain.

I have a U3,000,000 ship at the moment, but I've seen some 30+ slot ones for about U5,500,000, so I have more grinding to do.

I'm caught in the "Mine Emeril, sell it, upgrade my ship so I can mine more Emeril" loop

Once I have a kickass ship, I'm gonna head to the stars.

I'm annoyed that my system has now been visited by 3 different players, discovering all my stuff. (I think a lot of stuff I discovered also didn't sync... BAH)

Once you have 20+ slots in your exosuit, multi-tool and ship, you can start hoarding the essential resources, so finding them becomes less of a pain.

I have a U3,000,000 ship at the moment, but I've seen some 30+ slot ones for about U5,500,000, so I have more grinding to do.

Ah okay, so you've just been doing that for a long time and then selling it through those trading outpost things hey? Rinse and repeat?

yeah

Sometimes I get a little "mine-mad" and then I have to break it up and go explore.

I really want to find a planet with easy atmosphere/conditions, plenty of emeril, trading posts and a good range of flora and fauna, ie a paradise.

I'm 26hrs into it. I wasn't hyped about it at all. I don't bother getting excited about games until they're about to come out so I hadn't even looked at this until a couple months ago.

That said, I'd say I'm enjoying myself. Or more accurately, I'm not bored (yet).

I just came across a planet with endless vortex cubes so I've been busy making millions.

I landed on a planet last night that had Graviton Balls as far as the eye can see, but the trade off was extremely hostile sentinels...

I landed on a planet last night that had Graviton Balls as far as the eye can see, but the trade off was extremely hostile sentinels...

Same with my Vortex Cubes. Not a problem though. I usually left one sentinel alive so no more would spawn while I collected cubes. Also nice to fill up my titanium stores while killing them.

Today I found ANOTHER Vortex Cube world with two types. There's heaps inside caves which are these grey box looking things and on the surface there's red glowing ones (which attract sentinel attention).

Their procedural generation is making this game too easy for me :P

well, I've ended up with a multi-tool that just zaps the sentinels out of the sky with the Mining Laser in about a second. I haven't tried it against the quadrupedal ones, as I'm usually running away from them!!

Last night I found myself on a planet littered with Gold, and not much else, relaxed Sentinels, no Flora or Fauna to speak of, but the environment isn't hazardous, so I might hang around there for a while, mine some gold, and find trading outpost.

And some screenies!

https://twitter.com/smadge1/status/766379816593465345

CqK6YMbUAAA2Y1P.jpg

https://twitter.com/smadge1/status/766379440578306048

CqK6CYkUMAABPyQ.jpg

I think the weights they assign the creatures are not related to the physical size of the rendered creature. looking at it, I would think it weighed nearly 2000kg.

Hmm I'm not completely sold on this game yet. I haven't played too much since I got it. I am still needing to get antimatter and construct warp cores etc.

I want to get into mining and get some serious cash...then I will have more freedom to explore etc.

It's very constricting at the moment with the heavy resource requirements.

dude, I wanted to mine, I wanted a kick-ass ship and I wanted to explore, in the end, I know that if I explore enough, I'll get that kick-ass ship eventually.

I've maxed out my Exosuit to 48 slots, mostly by chasing drop pods, and now I always have the resources on hand that I need to survive and travel the universe.

The game will get a bad rap for just dumping players into an entire universe with only a rudimentary tutorial.

Yeah I need to look at expanding my exosuit! The more stuff I can carry, the better it will be.

Waited for ages at a station to find a ship to buy that I was happy with. They were all either just out of price range by a couple milllion and ugly, or too small, but good looking.

Have resorted to chasing down crashed ships, fixing them up minimally, and then chasing down the next one, one slot upgrade at a time :P

yeah, I was chasing crashed ships around for probably nearly 5 hours, because some internet site said that that was the cheapest way to upgrade your ship. well, not for me, every ship i found, was either the same size, or a slot smaller.

Still annoyed about a seeming bug in the game, I went to an undiscovered system, with undiscovered planets, but when I went to claim the discoveries, they had already been discovered.

(When you want to rename and upload, you hit the Triangle button, but if it's already been discovered, you can use the Triangle button to report an inappropriate name... so what happened was, I accidentally reported about 5 or 6 discoveries before realising.)

I finally stumbled upon one of "those" planets!!

https://twitter.com/smadge1/status/768039009360543744

CqifaAiUsAAvCL0.jpg

Caves filled with "rare" Vortex Cubes. Problem is, the planet is just a bunch of small islands, and finding places to sell them is tricky. Also, Islands don't have many caves. I can carry a Million Units worth at a time between my Exosuit and Ship, but then you have to find somewhere to sell them.

So I guess it's still technically mining. I named the planet before I found the Vortex Cubes, the surface was covered in Murrine, which is rare and expensive (more than gold or Emeril) but the planet was so cold, that walking around really sapped my hazard protection. I only walked into the cave to see if if spawned there too.

I'm sure there must be one plant that has like every resource in abundance, perfect weather and trading stations everywhere you go. So you can become a billionaire really quickly!

I'm sure there must be one plant that has like every resource in abundance, perfect weather and trading stations everywhere you go. So you can become a billionaire really quickly!

I'm still looking for it!

I wish they didn't have those vortex cube worlds. It makes the game far too easy.

I've found 4 now in 47hrs. And, most recently, I am now on a sac venom world :P

I had high hopes for this game, but after reading the reviews and user experiences it doesn't sound like it's for me. Seems like it's not for most people, going by the number of users that have dropped out withing the first week.

E3HnHbL.jpg

I think sadly it's an indie game still, despite the huge popularity and the high price. It's still not the game it could be even without all the goofy bugs and controls in the mess of a PC port it has.

Having read what a lot of disgruntled players have to say, I think I would probably be in that tiny tail if I played. I think most people were expecting something vastly different, whereas I only ever got the impression it was Noctis with better graphics.

Perhaps it will get updates in the future to make it better!

Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps...

that's not a compelling reason to buy the game or play it in it's current state.

My Bro got the game on PC, and within 24 hours, he'd applied a bunch of mods to it, reached the centre of the galaxy and got let down, I bet he's glad he paid $79 for it.

A friend gave me his copy yesterday and said if I didn't like it he'd just refund it, but I was playing from about 6:30pm to 10pm (without stopping for food, water, toilet ect.), and I expect to have a similar binge tonight, idk what it is about the game, I went into it expecting to be underwhelmed, but I am enjoying it almost as much as my first few hours in Skyrim, Cybes would be disappointed....i'm sorry Cybes ;-;

Having read what a lot of disgruntled players have to say, I think I would probably be in that tiny tail if I played. I think most people were expecting something vastly different, whereas I only ever got the impression it was Noctis with better graphics.

I expected it to be 3d Starbound, but ofc have different "digging" to most sandbox games, basically, I went into it expecting it to be what I wanted it to be