Sign in to follow this  
Soulessdeath

Would like some opinions on my build

So today i bought the first parts of my new computer, first upgrade in 6 years so i am just looking to see what people think and what overclocks i could do on it. I have not got all the bits yet and will be using the GPU, HDD and PSU from my old machine for now.

Specs so far are

CPU: Intel Core i76700k
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z170A-Gaming Pro carbon

MEMORY: G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C 2x 8 GB cards

CPU COOLER: Antec Kuhler H2O H600 PRO
CASE Phanteks Eclipse P400S

Parts im using from old pc

Nvidia GTX 960 -Will be getting replaced with Crossfire RX480's 8GB
Generic PSU 800watt -Will be getting a Antec modular 750W
Not sure on what SSD to get yet, I may just end up using my Samsung 250GB EVO but would like to get something around 500GB (Any recommendations?)

And a Seagate SSHD 4TB for games library

Any advice would be muchly appreciated

Also looking for some advice on setup for the water cooling loop for the RX480's and how i should go about it.

Edited by Soulessdeath

If the existing SSD isn't too old, another of the same in Raid0 might be a good idea. Good for performance but twice as bad for data integrity.

Skip the SSHD for a games library.

They reuqire the same data accessed again and again to know what to 'cache' in their 8GB ssd cache (it operates at block level, so its not file dependant).

Since games randomly load things, it'll be of little help.

Just grab yourself a 'black' drive, or a velociraptor, and enjoy.

• Like 1

Im still tossing between a 1070 or cross fire 480's, I am new to the dual GPU scene and would like to try it out and figure that dual 480's would be the best place to start. The PC is being built to play games like star citizen and games alike.

The SSD is one of the older samsung 840's I was looking at something like a Cruical 480GB However i may hold out for now and get something a bit larger.

I am not a fan of Western digital, i have had a fair few of their drives fail on me, However in saying that one of the best drives was a WD Blue drive. I normally use Seagate but recently their drives have been pretty crappy aswell.

I will look at the Velociraptor drives though.

WD Green were source of a lot of the bad rep, they're not made any more (I had a 1 TB fail on me).

I've seen at least 2 surveys that show WD above Seagate for reliability and at the least are quieter from the onset. Hitachi actually scored very well, they've been into enterprise computing gear for at least 20 years.

Was looking at them aswell.

Now would 16gb ram be enough on most new games? I know star citizen recommends 12GB and ark survival just loves all the ram you throw at it. Should i look at 32gb?

Thanks, Will posts updates here or ion the overclocking forums on how i go with the i7. Good to know that im getting advice from a fellow SC player. I have not played much SC due to pc just dying under load on it. The old amd phenom 2 x4 955 with 8gb ram does not hold up well playing it. Would love to catch up in game one time once im all setup.

kinda on topic but thought this was interesting a guy at work showed me:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Has the failure rate over the years and the drive type. HGST has amazing failure rate besides the 4tb version. WD bought them not long ago.

They're still assembled in their original factory, afaik.

regardless of who bought them :)

I have been leaning towards samsung drives in recent years, have had fairly good success with them, My other big issue is these drives may be great in the cooler places, but up here in the NT nothing seems to last.

I live in Darwin, well you know what crap weather we get.
Never had hard drives overheat, but video cards and CPU are the things that tend to die quick here.

Edited by Jeruselem

I'd always opt for a big single card over dual lesser cards, from what I've read, you need to overclock those rx480's to beat out a single 1070, but remember dual cards will be worse in many games and better in others, but always have worse frame timing etc.

I have been leaning towards samsung drives in recent years, have had fairly good success with them, My other big issue is these drives may be great in the cooler places, but up here in the NT nothing seems to last.

I'll repeat myself just because.

WD Red.

True enterprise drives, but cheap because 'standard' warranty.

You want "the best" quality\odds of error free use? REDs.

Even a lot of cloud companies switched to them for mass data center storage :)

Yeah, Will be getting 2 of the WD red drives Probably 2 6TB's for movies, Tv shows etc And a WD black 2TB for all the games.

• Like 1

Atta-boy!

You wont notice the black speed for game loading IMO, if stability is your key I'd just get all reds. But thats not a bad decision, regardless :)

Im still tossing between a 1070 or cross fire 480's, I am new to the dual GPU scene and would like to try it out and figure that dual 480's would be the best place to start. The PC is being built to play games like star citizen and games alike.

Honestly these days you are just better off going with the best single card you can afford as you will have less hassles.

Not all games are optimised for multi-GPU set ups and unless you are running games on a very high res monitor or a decent multi-monitor set up then you really don't get much benefit out of multi-card setups.

Just wondering what is the native res of your monitor?