Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Do we keep too much heat away from the special snowflakes?

I don't quite know where I'm going with this thread, but its a feeling I'm going to TRY to express, no doubt poorly, in words.

To be blunt, emotionless and tactless about it; Why are we "looking after" oddities in the world?

To be more realistic, why are we bending the world to suit the odd rather than the norm?

I've met what I personally consider the two ends of the scale, on one current topic;

Transgender folks.

Who, for the record, I'm quite OK with and have come quite close to completely 'getting it' (understanding).

Anyway,

I met one person who totally and completely identified as a woman. Spoke, acted, and interacted like a female.

She wore one piece of clearly feminine jewelry (symbolism I guess?), and male clothing otherwise.

I asked why and I got the most logical response I think I've ever heard. "I'm a woman, but I have a male body. Male bodies look stupid in womens clothes"

I totally had to agree.

I then know other people who despite having quite a masculine body, dress in skirts and dresses, wigs, makeup, but no matter what, are clearly men.

When I asked someone I know fairly well, the response was a slightly aggressive "Because I'm a woman!"

Now I'm no fashion police, but, the hell?

If you laugh at their style, you're suddenly 'evil'.

It's as if being "special" suddenly means that dressing badly isn't allowed to be funny?

Sure its slightly rude, but that's human nature sometimes, just like the size 24 woman in the size 8 tube top, or the beer gutted male in skinny jeans. or me in clothing covered in EL wire.

Yep I'm going to laugh at them too; got nothing to do with sexuality.

And I'm sure people laugh at me.

This applies to so many other topics, that's just one example.

a best friend of mine is quite aboriginal (family == stolen generation), yet he is the first to joke about the horrible stereotypes.

He's gone to the extent of showing up with a jerry can when he ran out of fuel and asking "so what's the car gonna drink?"

Yet there are people out there who will want to draw and quarter you for simply factually stating something as literal as "Gee there are a lot of homeless Aboriginals around this area"

Why? Because "Im an Aboriginal, treat me special, even to the point of avoiding negative facts" ?

If you're that delicate regardless of race then perhaps interacting with people isn't for you?

I literally dont notice the race, or anything like that unless the do something to purposefully point it out.

I watched "The IT Crowd" 3 times through. and had to watch it a 4th when someon told me "Moss is black"

No way, surely I'd have noticed..... nope.... Moss is black... huh.....

Why do we keep censoring? Why do we keep ignoring the insanity of it all? A comedian makes one black joke in the middle of 100 white jokes and oh-ho-ho, prepare the pitchforks!

Its kind of the same mindset of

"One person crashed here, Once. Quickly, Halve the speed limit, fuck the masses of safe drivers"

Im getting off topic though, and as expected, not explaining myself well.

Lets re simplify.

I'm pretty special :P

I could list many ways, both physical and mental the world could adjust to make me happy.

But I don't dare ask, I wouldn't even WANT to ask....

Why? Because I'm one, in a world of billions. The world doesn't shift for one man.

WHY are we letting people feel it's OK to demand WIDE change for a NARROW individual?

Where true inequality exists in a legal sense, it make sense (marriage, for example) but forcing a public social behavior shift because you're the odd one out? are you mad?

Or, as is often with me, am I missing the point entirely?

lol

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 2

In short: Spot on. IMHO, of course.

I mean, there's "try not to be a dick", and then there's the self-hating fucknuts that have been in ever-increasing ascendancy since the mid '80s. I personally don't see why restraining oneself from being pointedly offensive should mean that you should accept things as personal truths when they obviously aren't.

To quote Steven Fry: " "I'm offended by that!" Well, so fucking what?" Offence cannot be given if it is not taken, as should be well illustrated by the Aussie habit of calling their best mates (and themselves) "cunts". Certainly, if you say that to a stranger in the wrong tone, and without a big grin, you might end up eating your own teeth, but it's the tone and the grin that do it - not the word(s).

• Like 1

Why? Beats me but I know exactly what you're getting at. Unfortunately IMO it is a symptom of where society is at this point in it's disintegration. Weak people (in whatever sense you understand the word 'weak') produce weak societies and when we shield people from opportunities to grow then generation snowflake in the result. I have no advice except be yourself wherever you are on your own journey and treat people equally. if someone 'chooses' to get bent out of shape over something you say or do or are then that's problem to get over. Help anyone who asks.

offend-2016-750.jpg

Or have a read here:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/generation-snowflake-how-we-train-our-kids-to-be-censorious-cry-babies/

• Like 1

That's the modern world. It's like every minority and anyone with something "wrong with them" (which in itself can get you into the shit) is becoming untouchable.

And when they do wrong, it's not their fault. The root-cause analysis employed by the SJWs simply traces the wrongdoing trail backwards then stops and pins the root cause on the male working-age able-bodied white guy or whatever group happens to be representative of it.

FTR, I know at least one trangsgender person, and a guy I went to school with but haven't seen since but probably embodied blokiness more than almost anyone I knew at the time (he was full-on into motorbikes, cars, pulling stuff apart etc) subsequently went TG. The only thing you might call a clue that I had beforehand that was that he had the slightest lisp and was a little bit more camp than average.

The gender identity thing - it does have scientific merit. There are people around who are wired and even to an extent hormonaly the opposite sex to what the plumbing would suggest.

The gender identity thing - it does have scientific merit. There are people around who are wired and even to an extent hormonaly the opposite sex to what the plumbing would suggest.

Oh for sure! Doesn't stop the majority looking out and out stupid in a dress :P

Some 'born' women do too!

My ex suited the 'tomboy' look 100X more than the 'woman' look. Dress to your body.

and on that note; there does seem to suddenly be an awful lot of these previously uncommon mis-wirings.

at least IMO

Edited by Master_Scythe

So how does that give ANYONE the right to get butthurt and call the equal rights commission if someone says something they don;t like or don't agree with or doesn't treat them in the way they feel they should be treated?

Thing is, I'll always have an opinion about what people ( including myself ) wear. Sometimes I don't care enough to even comment on what others

wear, unless the outfit is totally stunning or, totally unhealthy ;)

I will always have an opinion about a variety of stuff just like every other breathing human. For instance I think hair salons are one of the most toxic

and yet totally legal places there are . I feel I'm in the minority though and don't often voice it in conversations with RL acquaintances. The reason I don't

is because so many around me think nothing of going in once a month or whatever and getting their hair done ... for me to mention it would be making

me feel even more of an outcast than I generally do anyway, so I refrain.

It's pretty simple really. If you feel the need to laugh at people because of their fashion sense, you're probably being an arsehole. Has nothing to do with what gender they identify as. Similarly, if you feel the need to point out someone's misfortune, then you're probably still being an arsehole. "Oh look, lots of homeless people around". Well, fantastic, what's your point? Has nothing to do with aboriginals, and everything to do with common decency.

It's easy to point to your self depreciating friend and say "see, he makes fun of himself". It's harder to realise how that might actually be harmful to how his community is perceived, even if he's comfortable with it himself. Or worse, he may be using it as a comedic tool to fit in, and isn't entirely comfortable with the association himself.

• Like 1

Me, I don't care what you look like, I will judge you on your actions

White, brown or black

Gay, straight or in-between

Male or female

If you are hungry and you have $$ I will sell you a pie

Though we do have an unusually transvestite customer. Long hair, makeup, bright green fake nails, but wears men's clothing, has a pot belly, and drives a beat up old ute

White, brown or black

Male or female

Though we do have an unusually transvestite customer. Long hair, makeup, bright green fake nails, but wears men's clothing, has a pot belly, and drives a beat up old ute

Got phone number?!

White, brown or black

Male or female

Got phone number?!
Thought you would be interested ;)

Hahaha, right on fucking que.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3760089/Music-teacher-Germany-guilty-holding-children-against-pupil-detention-calls-police.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

So basically the teacher put a bunch of ratbags on detention and one of the little shit called the cops....and the teacher now has to undergo re-education or pay a fine. If the world wasn't totally insane the cops would have added an extra weeks detection to the little shits.

There's a grey area nestled in between the SJW-brigade's wish to never comment negatively about anything ever, and the Pauline Hanson types where being an asshole is justified and encouraged because YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR.

That grey area is called "common sense country".

There aren't many people there, sadly.

• Like 1

I'd say the whole concept is taking us in the bad direction but I suspect we're already there, too late.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/08/27/03/19/no-jail-time-for-man-who-ran-over-perth-toddler-in-stolen-car#7MbjjyqqddxDgztO.99Stolen

"A Perth man who ran over and killed a 22-month-old boy in a stolen car and fled has avoided jail.

Karel Christopher Lucien Kivits, 30, pleaded guilty in Perth Magistrates Court yesterday to stealing a car, breaching bail, driving without a licence and failing to report an incident occasioning death.

He was handed a 12-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months, fined $1400 and will lose his license for one year."

FFS, I hope someone demands that judges resignation immediately.

It's pretty simple really. If you feel the need to laugh at people because of their fashion sense, you're probably being an arsehole. Has nothing to do with what gender they identify as. Similarly, if you feel the need to point out someone's misfortune, then you're probably still being an arsehole. "Oh look, lots of homeless people around". Well, fantastic, what's your point? Has nothing to do with aboriginals, and everything to do with common decency.

It's easy to point to your self depreciating friend and say "see, he makes fun of himself". It's harder to realise how that might actually be harmful to how his community is perceived, even if he's comfortable with it himself. Or worse, he may be using it as a comedic tool to fit in, and isn't entirely comfortable with the association himself.

Yay , seems I did manage to get my point across!

Thank you!

I should be able to be an asshole, and have people think "He's being an arsehole tonight" Not think "Gee, he sure hates black people huh?"

I like this quote from a thread @ Whirlpool though in itself probably owes credit to other work.

From a long thread over there "Are people too easily offended?" http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2385384

SJW

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

Yay , seems I did manage to get my point across!

Thank you!

I should be able to be an asshole, and have people think "He's being an arsehole tonight" Not think "Gee, he sure hates black people huh?"

A non discriminatory arsehole ... lol ...

I witnessed some really bad taste ( imo ) young fashionistas today . Made me think of this thread ;) I was doing okay with my charitable thoughts

till one par-tic-u-lar one came through the entrance ... literally mouth-on-floor, face palm moment.

... only just watching it now

edit: this would've tacked onto my post if not for Cyb3r :P~

Edited by eveln

A slightly different angle on the same theme, protecting snowflakes in the sense that peoples insecurities and hangups should never be challenged in an effort to keep them safe I think is not really helping in many cases.

I think that if you challenge someone, they'll surprise themselves of what they're capable of overcoming. Nobody is reducing their anxiety by never going out, for example.

I think we all have stuff in life that we need to own, conquer and move above, rather that do everything to make sure that it still controls us or scares us.

As for the OP's comments, I don't think your examples were the best, but I agree with the message.

A slightly different angle on the same theme, protecting snowflakes in the sense that peoples insecurities and hangups should never be challenged in an effort to keep them safe I think is not really helping in many cases.

I think that if you challenge someone, they'll surprise themselves of what they're capable of overcoming. Nobody is reducing their anxiety by never going out, for example.

I think we all have stuff in life that we need to own, conquer and move above, rather that do everything to make sure that it still controls us or scares us.

As for the OP's comments, I don't think your examples were the best, but I agree with the message.

I agree.

There'd be a much more socially awkward M_S here today if I was kept 'comfortable'.

I probably wouldnt be able to exist in the workforce.

I would very likely not have any 'risky' hobbies (anything with a chance of failure...).

I'd probably never have learn't to say "I was wrong" (thats still hard :P but I can do it sometimes, lol).

As such, Ive ended up fairly well adjusted.

Never been in fights. Very rarely misunderstand a situation.

As for the above, I get "Triggered" by the word "Trigger".

In my youth that was called "Tough Shit" and you learn to deal, or you learn to leave.

For me that word is basically saying 'Im weak, protect me' without having the fortitude to admit that this particular subject makes you scared\offended\anxious.

Tough Love is what we're talking about here. So many people I knew growing up had psychs or chaplains or whatever saying "oh poor thing".

And when they talked to their friends, and were told to HTFU, it was an angle they'd usually never considered before....

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 2

Another case in point:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/schoolgirl-killed-herself-after-putting-racially-offensive-picture-online-and-fearing-backlash/ar-AAibT5J?li=AAgfYrC

Apparently young chick made an Asian quip online (wasn't even close to being offensive or racist IMO) and decided that she best kill herself in case some internet random might hassle her about it.

• Like 2