Sign in to follow this  
gamble

Move from small SSD to larger SSD

Hello All,

Looking for some advise on an SSD upgrade. I bought a cheap laptop for my dad with 32gb SSD. The SSD cannot hold even the win10 updates since the image Im guessing is baked into the SSD for recovery. I have an 120gb SSD to install but want to image the new drive with everything on the old. Curious if there is an easy way as I have not had this issue in a long time.

I do have a converter kit to use on the SSD or any drive for that matter, that can make any drive like a thumb drive. So, I can get into the drive via usb if that helps. Maybe there is a free or cheap program I can use. I can also use my desktop for a sata connection or two if needed.

Im figuring that if I can get the image on the new SSD, then go into device manager and expand the new would be all that is needed. I see things on google for this issue but there seems to be several different ways and want to see what others might be doing/using.

As always Thanks for the help

Yes, there is a VERY simple way to do this :)

And freeware too!

Its all GUI and friendly, just a few steps....

First clean up\disable system restore. Get some of that space back.

Also disable hibernation and kill the hibernate file. (hiberfil.sys)

Just the basic windows cleanup stuff.

Then Grab a copy of Defraggler.

Dealing with Partitions, its always a good idea to have defragged data.

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds

Run a full defrag.

Then go into Actions and select Advanced and Defrag Freespace

This will ensure your files arent fragged, and that all the freespace in your current partitions is at the end, not in the middle of files.

Next

Grab a copy of gParted

http://gparted.org/

Its a live CD\USB that runs "Parted", probably the best Linux partition manager. It can do NTFS and FAT also.

Even on "Risky File Systems" like ReFS It's never let me down.

Boot into that guy :)

From there, copy the entire drive, all partitions, from the old drive, to the new drive.

(note, nothing happens until you click "APPLY" or the tick icon, or whatever the confirm button is in the latest version).

Don't worry about anything else at this point.

Once the copy finishes, you'll want to find the data\windows partition and GROW it to consume the unused space on the new drive, It should be simple.

Depending on the partition format, sometimes you can click and drag the end of it, sometimes you need to tell it to grow\expand the selected one from the menu.

Apply that. Its not normally a long process.

From there, be sure to mark the windows partition on the new drive as BOOTABLE (its under set Flags),

Don't forget to apply your changes.

Reboot :)

Sounds like a lot of steps, but if you're feeling risky you can skip the defrag.

But if its NTFS, i'd recommend at least a "quick defrag" option be used.

It doesn't normally take more than a couple of hours, if that.

Edited by Master_Scythe

It mightn't necessarily be as simple as that. Small SSD devices will often use WimBoot. A compacted Windows install on a seperate partition. The actual Windows files are a combination of files resident within that image and on the boot partition. Updates can simply flag that a given file is resident on the boot partition and the original ignored.

If you mess with these types of installs in the wrong way you can mess things up pretty well. You best path is probably to try and just recreate what you already have on the new drive.

I'd be trying to clone to the new drive first without altering the old one. Just checked on my tablet, the "recovery partition" is a bit under 4 Gig (Win 8), it shows up in the management console/storage tool but doesn't let you alter anything relating to it. My guess is that's probably the usual case if the system is configured such that it provides Windows system files.

Can we clone a partition easily to a bigger one these days or do we have to use identical size? My strategy would be just get the thing copied either to the bigger drive configured as it's needed or to like sized partitions then just extend the main one.

Yep, that's what I thought.

My instructions above are perfect for what you suggest.

Clone all partitions, and expand the "C drive" or "data drive" whichever he uses

Edited by Master_Scythe

For whatever reason though, on the Pendo the recovery drive is after C:, so you'd need to ensure the clone process leaves you with the contiguous free space where it's needed.

just drag and drop the partition to the other side of the data drive.

physical partition ordering is rarely important.

Or, expand the data drive. Order doesn't really matter. It can stay after. Just drag and drop the damn slider in gParted and wait 15 minutes for it to finish.