Sign in to follow this  
belal wow

New build upgrade options.

Hey guys,

So I managed to score a new PC from a good friend of mine.

Specs are as follows:

i7-4770k

H75 Cooler

Z97-D3H motherboard

Crucial BX100 250GB SSD

MSI TwinFrozr GTX-760 4GB

G.Skill Sniper 8GB Ram @ 1600mhz

Antec HCG-750M PSU

Corsair Carbide Air 240 Black case

I got all this for $550.

I'm already going buy a secondary drive (HDD), I was wondering if I should upgrade the ram to 16GB? I'm not exactly sure on ram timings and speed so yeah. Feel free to suggest anything else.

2 or 3 TB secondary drive.

An extra 8 Gig Ram - why not? You're looking at about $48-$70ish depending on specs, may as well match or beat whatever's already in there.

That graphics card isn't exactly going to set the world alight, but I guess see how you go, then upgrade accoring to your res, # of monitors, gaming demands.

2 or 3 TB secondary drive.

An extra 8 Gig Ram - why not? You're looking at about $48-$70ish depending on specs, may as well match or beat whatever's already in there.

That graphics card isn't exactly going to set the world alight, but I guess see how you go, then upgrade accoring to your res, # of monitors, gaming demands.

Yeah thanks for that. Er, I'm planning to upgrade my card later, I don't see the need to get a 1070 or w/e any time soon.

As for the ram, not sure if it's me, I struggle to find it around that price range unless you're suggesting second hand. I don't have an issue paying $100 brand new, but if a bargain exists, then why not.

My opinion is that you don't need anymore RAM. 8GB is fine and you would be better served by just saving your money for a better graphics card.

This vid is over 3 years however, it is still relevant.

16 Gig is handy though. Especially considering a browser instance and a background task doing video conversion can easily eat up over 3 Gig.

Then there's disk caching. Once your machine's been active for a while, all those shitty little programs that you use once in a while... many of them remain cached. Frequently accessed directories, same. You get indirect benefits that don't necessarily show up on benchmarks.

16 Gig is handy though. Especially considering a browser instance and a background task doing video conversion can easily eat up over 3 Gig.

Then there's disk caching. Once your machine's been active for a while, all those shitty little programs that you use once in a while... many of them remain cached. Frequently accessed directories, same. You get indirect benefits that don't necessarily show up on benchmarks.

Well yeah I agree too, I most certainly do use a lot of programs at once. I have not run into any issues with 8GB thus far.

Whack another single 4GB stick in there and be done :)

I want the full 16GB tho lol , So 2x4GB will run in dual-channel and the odd 4GB will run in single mode? Not sure about the issues about mixing ram.

My opinion is that you don't need anymore RAM. 8GB is fine and you would be better served by just saving your money for a better graphics card.

This vid is over 3 years however, it is still relevant.

I guess that is true for gaming, but most multi-task with programs in the background and it can easily chew up ram. like I got no issues with 8GB, but 16GB would defs be a nice addition and I don't want to wait too long before it becomes hard to find brand new sticks.

In regards to a new card, I'll probably wait it out, I'm running a monitor res of 1680x1050 and my 760 handles it well. I don't game heavy, hence why I did not purchase a new build and this was a good deal at its price range.

Edited by belal wow