SonOfNoddy

Switching to the Master Race

Linux is a much better choice because it uses much simpler code that seems to have fewer vulnerabilities.

Remember that shellshock existed in bash since 1989. This mindset is a myth.

Furthermore, given that it's not as popular as Windows, much less effort is spent developing new exploits and malware for Linux than what is spent on trying to hack Windows

This is bollocks. Web servers mostly run Linux, can you think of a higher value target?

Haha! Take that Scythe!

Good luck getting help in future if you're going to be a cunt towards people.

AOTL is Emporer Matej - he had his comeback intro back in March.

Who needs a GUI?

Why not just go the whole hog and go back to DOS. Or maybe CP/M, seeing as MS stole most of it's ideas for it's functionality.

GUIs can be a PITA for some things, like it can be orders of magnitude faster to do certain repetitive admin type stuff using batch mode but if you really must insist on not using a GUI then you may as well do the old school thing.

FFS, the things have only been around for 30 years anyway. Much of my early computing was without GUI and I've done years of mainframe stuff which is largely text based on terminal or terminal emulator.

See how productive you can be - go cold turkey for a couple of months then come back and tell us how it all went.

Good luck getting help in future if you're going to be a cunt towards people.

was joke....

See how productive you can be - go cold turkey for a couple of months then come back and tell us how it all went.

I shall return with a great and mighty beard!

Good on you for wanting to make the switch to Linux. I made the switch last year after I realised that Windows 10 was full of sneaky 'features' that behave very much like malware. Plus, for the highly security-conscious (read: paranoid), I find that Windows often doesn't do as it's told and gives cryptic error messages that aren't explained very well in user documentation and on support forums.

If you're looking for a system that's designed with IT-illiterate users in mind and want to play games and use the applications that are the most popular and widespread, then stick with Windows,

But if you want an OS that you can build and customise from the ground up, that does exactly as it's told provided it's set up properly and that is built from source code that is publicly available and that has been reviewed and scrutinised by many experts from all over the world, then make the switch to Linux.

I'm not going to pretend that it was easy and simple to switch to Linux, but from your other posts it seems to me like you're into coding and aren't afraid of learning how to solve complex IT issues. If I'm right about this, then not only will you probably be able to set up ArchLinux more easily than someone with no coding knowledge, but you'll probably fall in love with it and find that it's a developer's playground.

The best place to start learning about ArchLinux is probably the Wiki page - you can access it from http://www.archlinux.org . The Installation Guide and Beginner's Guide contain all the information that you need to get a basic ArchLinux installation running. Other pages cover the installation of a window manager and desktop environment, which you'll need to install in order to get a graphical user interface.

I'm also in the process of writing some user documentation on how to install ArchLinux with an encrypted root partition - I'm doing this for an assignment, but will post it online after I've submitted it. If you watch this space, I'll post a link here when it's done.

Good luck! :-)

Haha! Take that Scythe! And yeah you got it pretty spot on with the "into coding and aren't afraid of learning how to solve complex IT problems", thanks for all the info too, really helpful :) and who needs GUIs? GUIs are for peasants!

What am I taking?

At no point did I try to pit one OS against the other, except of course old windows vs new windows.

And about the only thing I tried to explain to you, admittedly harshly, because it frustrates me, that being negative for the purpose of being negative, will cost you in the long run.

I was that way for a long time, I had a friend wake me up to it.

You CAN'T expect to be liked\helped\respected in the world if your opinion gets formed by "Feeling" rather than "Fact".

If you'd have said "I hate the new start menu and Explorer, so I installed Classic Shell to replace it" I'd have said, Oh, Ok, makes sense, not everyone likes the ultra modern windows look. I'm not a fan either.

But refusing it because "I personally dont like it" why? "Because!" is just ignorant.

I use Ubuntu as my daily driver too.

But all I play is DOTA2 which installs fine on STEAM on Ubuntu.

I'm proabably one of the few here who use a Blackberry as my daily phone, and have used Ubuntu and Firefox OS on my mobile also.

I even like Meego when Symbian went the way of the dodo.

I'm far from thinking "the big boy wins".

I'll just sit here and smile smugly, in 3 years time, when the latest version of DirectX requires windows 10.

You go to play your new game, or use an OS that 'the world' is now so used to, its common sense, and you're stuck 'learning' 3 years late.

Windows 10 is even supporting linux BASH shell; so I dont know what you're on about for the code-friendly side either.

GUI's are faster.

When I was blind and used a braile pad sometimes, command line was faster; but with semi-working eyes again, GUI is king.

GUI's are faster.

When I was blind and used a braile pad sometimes, command line was faster; but with semi-working eyes again, GUI is king.

responses like that make me wish there was tone in text posts, just to clarify it was sarcasm, sorry to put the wrong thought in peoples head ._.

GUI's are faster.

responses like that make me wish there was tone in text posts, just to clarify it was sarcasm, sorry to put the wrong thought in peoples head ._.

English is not the best (written) language for tone.

GUI's are faster.

English is not the best (written) language for tone.

you make a fair point

Worst ever Distro = Gentoo!

that right here is gonna get you killed by a lot of Gentoo Master Race members :p

I've killed a gentoo system just trying install firefox.

that right here is gonna get you killed by a lot of Gentoo Master Race members :p

+1 to that.

There is a reason Ubuntu is the most popular.

And there are tens, if not hundreds of 'appliance' projects based on Ubuntu, or at least Debian.

Using another Distro is like "wanting to install Windows" then downloading ReactOS (freeware Win32)

Or wanting to Learn Mac OSX, and Installing Darwin Unix.....

Yeah we can still link some of the skills, but my god, take the hard path often do we?

+1 to that.

And there are tens, if not hundreds of 'appliance' projects based on Ubuntu, or at least Debian.

Using another Distro is like "wanting to install Windows" then downloading ReactOS (freeware Win32)

Yeah we can still link some of the skills, but my god, take the hard path often do we?

I think you're really discounting other distro's with that, the distro is only as good as its underlying components.

OpenSUSE and Fedora are on par with the Debian variants.

+1 to that.

I think you're really discounting other distro's with that, the distro is only as good as its underlying components.

OpenSUSE and Fedora are on par with the Debian variants.

Only as much as Im discounting ReactOS vs WIndows, or Darwin vs Mac.

They work, but different uses.

if I join in on this debate it'll just turn into a an argument and i'll end it with "yeah but I just personally don't like it", but yeah your points both ways are fair, but i've been told for 15 years of my life, "why do you always do things the hard way?", and I reckon i'm not stopping now :p

Edited by SonOfNoddy

if I join in on this debate it'll just turn into a an argument and i'll end it with "yeah but I just personally don't like it", but yeah your points both ways are fair, but i've been told for 15 years of my life, "why do you always do things the hard way?", and I reckon i'm not stopping now :p

Been watching a lot of videos about Distros and boy a lot them have a pet hates about one distro or another.

Been watching a lot of videos about Distros and boy a lot them have a pet hates about one distro or another.

no shit, you create a general OS, call it the "Master Race", release hundreds of versions, and let people choose between which ones are best, it is something a 2 year old could predict, it's essentially an internet civil war on a muuuuuuuuch lower scale