SonOfNoddy

GTX 1080, is it worth $500?

Well come christmas I plan to upgrade my GPU to increase frames and my standing in a certain glorious yellow culture..........I want an Asus GeForce GTX Strix 1080, anything else that's a bit cheaper and does a better or equal job? Don't wanna go spending $500 only to realise that there was better things to spend it on :p

Yep worth it.

Depending how much you're ACTUALLY going to ask out of the card, 1070 is the sweet sport for cash per frame.

to answer that, I'm basically asking Ark: Survival Evolved (the worst optimised game in history) to run at max setting while being recorded, as well as getting 100+ frames on everything else max settings :p

Yep worth it.

Depending how much you're ACTUALLY going to ask out of the card, 1070 is the sweet sport for cash per frame.

to answer that, I'm basically asking Ark: Survival Evolved (the worst optimised game in history) to run at max setting while being recorded, as well as getting 100+ frames on everything else max settings :p

Just keep the resolution sensible, and even low end cards should be able to do that.

If you're recording for broadcast, for example, you'll be best to play\record at 720p

Should be an easy task.

Yep worth it.

Just keep the resolution sensible, and even low end cards should be able to do that.

If you're recording for broadcast, for example, you'll be best to play\record at 720p

Should be an easy task.

720p? what about 1080p? so much better looking! and I can record at 1080p at the moment without a huge loss of frames

What is the res of your monitor?

I ask because there is no use buying a GTX 1080 if your monitor runs at 1080p as you are just wasting your money when a cheaper card like a 1070 or even a 1060, will be able to perform at the levels you want.

some of the 1080's are from a bad batch and have some issues that warrant an RMA.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/50rh24/gtx_10801000_evga_info_for_those_experiencing/?sort=top

Having to return my brothers card because its faulty.

Although, they seem like a sick card on paper. Never had a chance to see it in the flesh due to it being a dud.

Edited by revert