Sign in to follow this  
Lotness

Upgrading - Would love some feedback on gear.

Heyas everyone

My pc is a few years old and I have a birthday fast approaching and my wife is insisting I do a pc upgrade.

She's given me a budget of approx $800. I wont need harddrives or any accessories.. just the core 'ingredients' as such. I'll most likely keep my old parts and eventually turn them into a htpc build for the loungeroom of some sort.

These are what I have selected at the moment (via pccasegear):

Gigabyte B150M-D3H Motherboard

Intel Core i5 6400

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 4GB

Kingston HyperX Fury HX421C14FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black

Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler

Total: $847 .. postage will cost me around $30.. so.. more like $880

Here are my current pc specs:

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 (Socket 1156)

Intel i5 760 @ 2.8ghz (gen 1 cpu)

8Gb ram (DDR3)

Geforce GTX 670 2GB graphics card

CPU Cooler - Xigmatech HDT-S1284

Any feedback on changes I should consider are gratefully accepted :) I hate upgrade time... I want best bang for buck and I always get a bit nervous as my tech knowledge is decent.. but not complete. I was considering going for a low end Radeon 480 but... I have been told for many many years that you shouldn't pair a Radeon card with a Gigabyte board / Intel cpu.. yet I see it done all the time lately and noone ever says if they have issues or not. Is this just a holdover from a bygone tech era or is it actually proven to be true even now?

Thanks for any and all help :)

-Lotness-

You're not overclocking a non-K chip, so you dont need the aftermarket cooler.

Also, there should be cheaper RAM than that; we're well beyond the times when spending extra on ram was /really/ worth it.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

If you don't currently HAVE an SSD as your main storage, this should be your number 1 priority.

Words literally cannot describe the feeling of going from HDD to SSD.

I'm talking about 10 year old laptops feeling like they're the latest i7's just because the storage loads (essentially) instantly.

$70 will get you a 256GB Sandisk drive, they've served me well for the budget conscious, Dropping the CPU cooler almost covers it :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

I think the Radeon + Intel CPU + Gigabyte board dramatics is something of a crock.

I had that combination for close to 10 years, worked just fine with HD4870, HD5850 and R7-360.

I have a machine very similar to your "old" (same board) with i7-870 though haven't tried any of my Radeons on it.

Though at the low/mid end nVidia cards seem to match or beat them in many cases.

The HyperX Ram, I've bought twice although DDR3-1866. Generally it's a bit pricier than other stuff, MSY is only 4 bucks cheaper for that kit.

Edited by Rybags

I agree with Master_Scythe about dropping the CPU cooler but for the reason of upgrading the graphic cards.

1) You can always get a CPU cooler later on if you find that you need or want it.

2) The money you save from not getting the CPU cooler now means you can upgrade the GTX 960 to a GTX 1060 3gb or for another $35 more (plus what you would have spend on the cooler) grab a GTX 1060 6gb.

Much better option IMO then a cpu cooler at this point.

Edited by mohawk

Cool.. thanks for the feedback all of you.

In regards to the 1060.. I was considering one of those... BUT... I have heard there are stuttering issues and as I also use my pc for music recording amongst other things.. if it was to stutter during a recording and I lost a good 'take' on something.. it'd be really frustrating. I haven't heard of any issues like that with the 960. Originally I was told to get a radeon 470 as they had 0 stutter issues at all.

Anyway... as I said earlier.. I'm not the 'ultimate tech guru' so happy to be educated by those here with more experience :)

It's good to know about the ram.. the only reason I picked that particular one was it was priced similarly to if I had bought 2 x kingston value ram ... but if you're saying I can go even cheaper than those (the kingstone value ram is $55 per 8gb if I remember where I last saw it) then I'll endeavour to find it :)

As to the aftermarket cooling.. the only reason that with it getting so hot in the places I live (I never seem to have aircon in the places I rent.. very much sux) my pc was always overheating.. with the cooler, I never had that issue. I'm happy to leave the cooler off and worry about it down the track when things get really hot.. just figured if I got one now it was something I wouldn't have to worry about installing down the track in a few months time :)

I think I ended up finding CPL Online to be the cheapest place for components so far.. I tried PCcasegear originally as I have had lots of experience with them.. but I also know I can go at least $50 to $100 cheaper through CPL.. so.. I'm game to give them a go.

Anyways, thanks for the help.. and by all means.. if there's more ideas keep 'em coming. I love learning about all this stuff and getting caught up on the newer tech.

-Lotness-

In regards to the 1060.. I was considering one of those... BUT... I have heard there are stuttering issues and as I also use my pc for music recording amongst other things.. if it was to stutter during a recording and I lost a good 'take' on something.. it'd be really frustrating. I haven't heard of any issues like that with the 960. Originally I was told to get a radeon 470 as they had 0 stutter issues at all.

It was a driver issue that did not effect everybody and Nvidia did release a hotfix driver for those effected however, people are saying that they are not having any problems since the release of driver 370.72.

When new cards are released there are always some driver problems here and there but once the cards have been out in the wild for a month or 2 things usually get fixed and settle down.

gtx960 and gtx670 perform the same its not a upgrade

gtx670 is faster in some games the gtx960 is faster in others

the i5 6400 has a very low clock speed the i5 750 overclocked to ~4ghz would probably perform fairly close to it

going by this its only 1-12% slower once overclocked

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6400/2773vs3512

whats your monitor and what are you using the system for?

get a ssd

Edited by Dasa

I have an SSD already.. 120gb.. it is sufficient for now.. I also have about 8tb in other drives accessible for other storage.. so all good.

I have 2 monitors.. both 24inch.. I tend to do my gaming on 1920 x 1080 resolution on the one and keep the second monitor for webpage/movies/etc.

I use my system for live streaming music performance, recording music (I'm a guitarist/singer). I also love to game.. pretty much anything but especially FPS style stuff.. think Skyrim, Fallout, Battlefield, ARK, Crysis, Far Cry, etc..

I also am teaching myself to program (in python atm.. but will probably move to other languages eventually).

Not sure that helps lol.. but it's something I guess. If I can stretch my budget by about $100 I can probably do a slightly better upgrade.. such as:

MSI B150M BAZOOKA LGA 1151 Motherboard Intel Core i5-6400 4-Core LGA 1151 Processor BX80662I56400 EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 06G-P4-6161-KR KINGSTON KVR21N15S8/8 8GB DDR4-2133MHz Non-ECC CL 15

That gets me to around $900... I can *maybe* swing that if I wait another couple weeks at least.

It was a driver issue that did not effect everybody and Nvidia did release a hotfix driver for those effected however, people are saying that they are not having any problems since the release of driver 370.72.

When new cards are released there are always some driver problems here and there but once the cards have been out in the wild for a month or 2 things usually get fixed and settle down.

Thanks for letting me know about that :D I've been buried in hardware reviews, comparisons and stuff all day long and it's nice to just get a straight answer! :)

gtx960 and gtx670 perform the same its not a upgrade

gtx670 is faster in some games the gtx960 is faster in others

the i5 6400 has a very low clock speed the i5 750 overclocked to ~4ghz would probably perform fairly close to it

going by this its only 1-12% slower once overclocked

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6400/2773vs3512

whats your monitor and what are you using the system for?

get a ssd

2 monitors.. ben q and a samsung.. both 24 inch.. I game at 1920 x 1080 on the one monitor most the time (usually benq).

I record guitar/sing/sequence music, do gaming (FPS games, Path of Exile, so forth.. pretty much everything). Learning to program as well.

I have an SSD.. so all good there. Ideally I would have waited another 6 months or so to upgrade so I could maybe have $1500 saved and do a FULL build.. not just upgrade.. but my wife is insistent we spend the money now in case bills eat it up :) and.. birthday.. lol.

up the cpu to 6500\6600 use current gpu for now

go back to the 2133c14 ram ~50-100mhz worth of extra cpu performance for ~$1 worth it

or get a gtx1070 and oc the current cpu for now upgrade the rest later

Edited by Dasa

As to the aftermarket cooling.. the only reason that with it getting so hot in the places I live (I never seem to have aircon in the places I rent.. very much sux) my pc was always overheating.. with the cooler, I never had that issue. I'm happy to leave the cooler off and worry about it down the track when things get really hot.. just figured if I got one now it was something I wouldn't have to worry about installing down the track in a few months time :)

This makes very little sense, and I can't figure out what must be configured wrong.... Volts maybe?

My previous PC had a very similar CPU.

My computer is in a room which gets direct afternoon sun.

My house has no insulation.

There is a thermometer on my wall; its often 42*C when I get home.

It was overclocked slightly (BCLK overclock, since locked Multi; think it was a pre-set "5% OC" in the bios) on a stock cooler

I never got above 75*C even with stress testing apps; sometimes I'd edge 80*C on those "Synthetic stress tests" designed to make heat; but that's still not overheating territory.

The room doesn't drop below 35*C until after 8pm; I've never had an overheat....

CPU and GPU are also the only fans in that case.....

Something else is going on there bro.

Incorrect voltage is all I can think of?

Something is making your CPU run too hot, there is NO NEED for an aftermarket cooler, unless ambient is usually 45*C+

I know in some places like the desert @ Coober Pedy, a day can often be an ambient 46*C, but there's very few other towns that manage that heat.... Where are you living?

Edited by Master_Scythe

This makes very little sense, and I can't figure out what must be configured wrong.... Volts maybe?

My previous PC had a very similar CPU.

My computer is in a room which gets direct afternoon sun.

My house has no insulation.

There is a thermometer on my wall; its often 42*C when I get home.

It was overclocked slightly (BCLK overclock, since locked Multi; think it was a pre-set "5% OC" in the bios) on a stock cooler

I never got above 75*C even with stress testing apps; sometimes I'd edge 80*C on those "Synthetic stress tests" designed to make heat; but that's still not overheating territory.

The room doesn't drop below 35*C until after 8pm; I've never had an overheat....

CPU and GPU are also the only fans in that case.....

Something else is going on there bro.

Incorrect voltage is all I can think of?

Something is making your CPU run too hot, there is NO NEED for an aftermarket cooler, unless ambient is usually 45*C+

I know in some places like the desert @ Coober Pedy, a day can often be an ambient 46*C, but there's very few other towns that manage that heat.... Where are you living?

Nowhere that gets that hot.. I think last year, which was unusually hot we hit some 45 degree days.. for a week or something... erk.. no fun. So .. maybe you're right. But it could have also been the air flow in my case.. It only has one fan at front and one extraction fan at the back.. if my wife wasn't pushing to upgrade I'd be so happy to wait and get a new case (one of the ones with those massive top mounted fans) so there'd never be an issue with fans.

I do agree there's something odd with my setup though.. I built my wife a current gen i5 machine on a m-atx motherboard and it runs quiet and cool.. so. I dunno.. I didn't build this pc at the time.. I had a mate build all my stuff. I'm more adventurous these days :D lol

Anyway. thankyou for the suggestion.. I'll have to see about voltages and things. I never thought to check any of that.

BTW.. I've narrowed my upgrade down to this now.. and I'm feeling pretty good about it:

MSI B150 Mortar Motherboard

1 x 8gb Crucial stick of ram (or similar value cheapie ram.. I'll add another 8gb later when I have more money)

i5 6400 CPU

EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming card.

If I can source them all from the right place/places.. then I'm looking at around $860 approx (that's with about $30 postage added).

I think I'll get a lot of use out of that setup for a long time to come. :)

-Lotness-

why are you so fixed on the 6400 when its crap and bugger all better than your old cpu?