My Mother-In-Law (Dragon Lady) has a Dell Laptop.

The fan has died.

(cue jokes about me not being her fan)

Anyway, I know the Laptop is old. Is it really worth me buying a fan and getting it working again?.

Or tell her to get a new Laptop.

While I can strip the laptop down and replace it, I don't feel the desire to play with fiddly screws any more.

Ohh, and it is still running Vista.

15 bucks on eBay... so why not?

Looks like this thing should be able to run Core2 era Socket P CPUs, so you could do a bit of extra research and spend another $20 or so and do both. Socket P Core2Duo CPUs go beyond 3 GHz which makes it a worthwhile spend. But still it's an old system and only worth bothering with due to being a laptop, any spend much over double-digit $ is probably not worth it.

In recent times I've upgraded the CPUs on similar era Dell Inspiron and an Asus laptop, although both Socket M (the predecessor which tops out not far above 2 GHz). The Asus was 5 minutes work, real easy to get to the CPU and fan but the Dell was a fair bit more although the 1545 looks to be a more modern design and they might have improved access.

• Like 1

Check on YouTube about a guide to replacing the fan. Some laptops are just a pain to upgrade anything. In some cases, you pretty much pull the whole laptop apart ... Like my eee netbook.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

Replacement laptop is around $1000 range for 15.6", but the specs on those are better than the 1545. An Lenovo ideapad is as low as $500.

This thing is probably a Core2 based Pentium which puts it at or just above performance of the Atom. But luckily it seems to be Socket P rather than M so there's plenty of upgrade options although the high end Core2 stuff can be stupidly priced.

Core2 are power hungry compared to modern CPUs so an upgrade is better long term anyway.