redrob

need a new GPU for my 3570k help

seems 3dmark has released vrmark demo

a few of us should give it a go

• Like 1

Hmm i wonder if my GPU has died or if its my dodgy mobo thats slowly got worse,whats a good alternative please to suit my cpu and ripjaw F314900CL9D-8GB XL KIT i cant afford an upgrade now so ill just get the mobo and go from there im thinking

How old is the rest of your build?

You could look to upgrading the motherboard as new series have come out, otherwise cheaper graphics cards like 1050-1050ti-1060

Gigabyte's got G1 Gaming series for a little extra performance in all of them

• Like 1

Ordered an ASUS Dual RX480-4G Radeon 4GB PCI-e card via Amazon UK on 10th March, worked out ~AUD$265 total incl. postage, international transaction fee etc.

It arrived today 28th March, looks good, lookin forward to installing it.

My PC has an Aywun A80+ 550W PSU, hopefully it all fits in fine & connects to a power cable OK etc.

Edited by ssar
  • Like 1

It'll probably just scrape in. Seems the RX480 is a bit underwhelming in performance, even the old GTX970 seems to beat it in some benches.

• Like 1

Seems I do need a power adaptor such as a 2 x Molex to 8-Pin PCIe Adaptor cable, to power the new RX480 from my Aywun A80+ 550W PSU - is such an adaptor likely to plug in and work fine, in anyone's experience?

In the past I've used just one molex connector though that's been HD4870 and HD5850 using the dedicated PCIe power lead from the PSU + a molex adaptor.

If you need 2 molex sources then you should use one from each set of leads - it's sort of pointless to use 2 connectors on the one lead since the available amperage won't be any different.

It appears this 8-pin PCI-e power port on the new Asus Dual RX480 needs a PCI-e 8-pin or PCI-e 6+2-pin power plug from the PSU, and care must be taken to ensure it's correct, and not the very similar 8-pin power plug designed for the CPU/Mainboard.

Apparently there is some small difference in the shape of some of the pins on each.

Modern good PSUs apparently may have this PCI-e 8 or 6+2 pin power, but my old Aywun doesn't.

A suitable adaptor may come packaged with some new video cards apparently, I don't think mine did, but I'll double check.

Course, a new PSU would do the trick, but I'll see if I can get hold of a suitable adaptor first, perhaps.

Added: Here's the pinout diagram for the GPU & CPU connectors: http://ocau.com/pix/ywyap

Edited by ssar

It appears this 8-pin PCI-e power port on the new Asus Dual RX480 needs a PCI-e 8-pin or PCI-e 6+2-pin power plug from the PSU, and care must be taken to ensure it's correct, and not the very similar 8-pin power plug designed for the CPU/Mainboard.

Apparently there is some small difference in the shape of some of the pins on each.

Modern good PSUs apparently may have this PCI-e 8 or 6+2 pin power, but my old Aywun doesn't.

A suitable adaptor may come packaged with some new video cards apparently, I don't think mine did, but I'll double check.

Course, a new PSU would do the trick, but I'll see if I can get hold of a suitable adaptor first, perhaps.

Added: Here's the pinout diagram for the GPU & CPU connectors: http://ocau.com/pix/ywyap

I'm pretty sure they're all the same.

Best thing about computers, is the wiring is almost faultlessly color coded.

All GPU power i've seen is Yellow (+12v) and Black (Ground).

Feel free to correct me, but I dont think I've ever seen any red (5v) or Green (3v) cables going into a graphics card.

• Like 1

The keyed pin surrounds mean you can't put wrong cables in wrong recepticles or insert them the wrong way around.

Generally PCIe graphics cards will over-provision for power. The PCIe slot itself supplies 75 Watts max. Supposedly 6-pin aux cables supply another 75 Watts and 8-pin ones are good for 150 Watts.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies & info.

Yea, will be looking at building a new desktop PC likely sometime within the next year or so, with new parts along the lines of:

- Smallish reasonable ATX case

- Good PSU ~650W

- Intel i7 6/7 series or similar Ryzen CPU

- OK mainboard to suit (nothing too flash nor expensive)

- 16GB or 32GB reasonable RAM

- SSD ~750GB, maybe 1TB, likely cheap SATA

..To run my already reasonable peripheral/other items:

- Dual widescreen monitors: AOC 27" 2ms + HP 24" 6ms IPS

- New ASUS Dual RX480 4GB Radeon PCIe vid card

- Newish reasonable wired mechanical keyboard

- Nice new ASUS wired mouse

- Some OK Sony speakers

- Win 7 Ultra 64bit

So I'd consider a new PSU now (to enable proper power plug-in to new RX480 Radeon vid card) that will also go well into the new case later.

I like these new modular ones, something like:

- Corsair CS650M 650W 80+ Semi-Modular ~$129

- Coolermaster Vanguard Semi-Modular 650W 80+ ~$135

..Thoughts?

• Like 1

- Corsair CS650M 650W 80+ Semi-Modular ~$129

- Coolermaster Vanguard Semi-Modular 650W 80+ ~$135

..Thoughts?

Both pretty reliable.

Though I'm a huge fan of Seasonic. They're the wholesaler to a lot of the 'smaller' high quality brands.

Antec is another brand you can't really go wrong with.

Of those two, I think I'd choose the Corsair.

Their track record is great, and it's also the cheaper.

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

450-550w would be plenty for a rx 480

650w for overclocked ryzen and 1080ti

that cm has a longer warranty and higher quality caps than the corsair

the cm vanguard also has about the highest efficiency around in the low wattage range

16g is ample for games but if your using it for other work loads its worth considering

• Like 2