Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
aliali

Multi monitor slide show

this online store is where i purchased my hdmi cables and projector\tv mounts seems to be well priced http://www.selby.com.au

15m HDMI v2.0 Cable High Speed with Ethernet Ultra HD 1080p 4K 3D HEC ARC CY4356 $32.99

37-60" inch Slimline Flat LCD LED Plasma TV Slim Flat Wall Mount Bracket $22.95
Fast FREE Shipping Australia wide
mind you 15m with a cable that cheap i wouldnt be surprised if you had some problems but for 5-10m you will probably be fine
this cable may be the safest bet for long distances
Oxygen-Free Copper 1m-5m: 28AWG $9-24, 10m: 26AWG $50, 15m: 24AWG $70
so what system hardware are you looking at now?
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Windforce OC 2GB $199 3 hdmi 1dp 1 dvi
however they are unclear on if any of these get disabled when another is in use at the very least you should have 3 hdmi available and hopefully capable of 11,520 x 2160 like the higher end gpu are

Gigabyte B250M-D3H HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-D, D-Sub $149

combined with whats available on a mb im guessing it will work one way or another

dam kogan is selling 4k 55" tv for under $600

Edited by Dasa

Kogan?

I've actually had a lot of experience with their own brand of TV's. No complaints, and when ihad a mobile phone break from them, warranty was long, but 0 drama.

Ye I have had a Kogan TV for some years and it works ok but does have a bit of backlight bleed.

http://www.selby.com.au

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Windforce OC 2GB $199 3 hdmi 1dp 1 dvi
however they are unclear on if any of these get disabled when another is in use at the very least you should have 3 hdmi available and hopefully capable of 11,520 x 2160 like the higher end gpu are

Gigabyte B250M-D3H HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-D, D-Sub $149

combined with whats available on a mb im guessing it will work one way or another

dam kogan is selling 4k 55" tv for under $600

Thanks for the tip on Selby. As far as hardware not decided yet but looking at the Leadtek Quadro NVS810 for a single card solution. I can get it from a wholesaler a bit cheaper than retail.

http://www.leadtek.com/eng/product/2/744/intro.aspx

with 8 Mini DP 1.2 ports.

However your solution with the GTX 1050 or ATI equivalent may work especially if I fitted two. Would avoid needing Mini DP to HDMI active adaptors. The 4 screen setup I tested on used an onboard HD 3000 and a plug in HD5450. But had to use the VGA ports which probably should be avoided for the actual setup.

An update on the grant. Apparently I misheard. It is not a 10k limit, the proposal has to be over 10K so got more leeway than I thought. Of course a 20k or 30k proposal would be ignored, however I can go over 10K to an extent (probably 1 or 2K?). This gives more choice in hardware etc.

since your looking at active adapters i gather your thinking about going with 4k tv since there not needed for 1080p

ok the little i can find suggests the gtx 1050 i listed can handle 4x4k displays with one active dp adapter may have to contact gigabyte to confirm

that leaves you with dp and hdmi from from the mb which is all you need yes? however hdmi output on the mb on support 30hz at 4k although i doubt this would be a problem for static images

or was one more needed for a monitor?

but yes two 1050 is a option so you wouldnt have to use any adapters and all monitors could run 4k 60hz while still being a fair bit cheaper than a dual gpu quadro card

nice to have some flexibility in the budget

Given the output is static images and not video, then the gtx1050 shouldn't have performance issues as your setup is just a real fancy PowerPoint presentation.

since your looking at active adapters i gather your thinking about going with 4k tv since there not needed for 1080p

From what I have read and understood I thought active adaptors where needed if the DP ports did not support dual-mode DisplayPort (DP++).

EG

https://www.startech.com/faq/displayport_converter_dp_multi_mode

interesting not something i have come across before im guessing lack of support for non active adapters is rare

it seems anything from dp 1.3 on must support hdmi without active adapters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

DP1.3 The new standard includes mandatory Dual-mode support for DVI and HDMI adapters, with support for the HDMI 2.0 standard and HDCP 2.2 content protection.

looking at this it seems the 810 supports non active adapters unless the leadtek model is different to the pny

https://www.pny.com/NVIDIA_NVS_810_for_Eight_DVI_Displays

Mini-DP to DVI-D SL adapters 8 included with PN VCNVS810DVI-PB

Number of Displays Supported 8 at 4,096 x 2,160 at 30Hz (4 at 4,096 x 2,160 at 60Hz)

Maximum DP 1.2 Resolution 4,096 x 2,160 at 60Hz (3,840 x 2,160 at 60Hz also available)

Maximum DVI-D SL Resolution 1,920 x 1,200 at 60Hz

DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP support

Edited by Dasa

Interesting Dasa. I suppose the thing to do would be try passives or just an adaptor cable first and see if it works.

So there's nothing more recent than that Quadro with that many DP sockets?

Looking at the Nvidia site yep that NVS 810 seems to be it.

Whilst noisier it seems the gtx 1050 can support at least three monitors simultaneously. So a pair of those would be cheaper.

Looking at the Nvidia site yep that NVS 810 seems to be it.

Whilst noisier it seems the gtx 1050 can support at least three monitors simultaneously. So a pair of those would be cheaper.

the gtx1050 fans will be off during the work load your describing so they should be silent using just 3w of power each while idle 4w with multimonitor or 5w playing blu ray

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1050_Gaming_X/25.html

while the 810 has two older gpu (based on gtx750) each with a higher idle power use running on a single low profile hsf

Edited by Dasa

Good info Dasa that makes duel 1050s even more attractive.

Ye found that software the other day Jeuselem. More options than Squalls code as you make the shows in powerpoint (already have VLK office licences) but Squalls solution is so elegantly simple to use I think we will give it a shot first.

im guessing 5 of these would be stretching the budget :)

Panasonic 49" 4K Ultra HD LED LCD Smart TV $795

being a clearance item they probably dont have 5 left in stock :(

Edited by Dasa

Not purchasing anything till we get the grant Dasa, if we get the grant. We have to apply for it first and see what happens. I assume it's a competitive grant of some sort but we have to have a proposal including a list of hardware and installation costs to even apply for the grant.

So may be several months before we know if we have been succesful. I certainly am not willing to spend 10K (even if I had it) on the off chance we win it.

Not purchasing anything till we get the grant Dasa, if we get the grant. We have to apply for it first and see what happens. I assume it's a competitive grant of some sort but we have to have a proposal including a list of hardware and installation costs to even apply for the grant.

So may be several months before we know if we have been succesful. I certainly am not willing to spend 10K (even if I had it) on the off chance we win it.

Do you mean if you get the tender?

Has anything more happened with this?

Ye update time.

Nah I have job, no problems. However had to wait to see if the community group I am doing this for got the grant to pay me to do it. :-).

Have now been advised the group was successful with the grant and the group is now waiting for the money to arrive. I am not spending anything till I am sure I can be paid for the setup as the community group does not have enough of it's own funds to pay me without the grant.

Don't want to be left holding the baby, so to speak.

So should be able to get rolling in the next month with any luck, just depends how long it takes for the grant money to arrive.

Ye update time.

Nah I have job, no problems. However had to wait to see if the community group I am doing this for got the grant to pay me to do it. :-).

Have now been advised the group was successful with the grant and the group is now waiting for the money to arrive. I am not spending anything till I am sure I can be paid for the setup as the community group does not have enough of it's own funds to pay me without the grant.

Don't want to be left holding the baby, so to speak.

So should be able to get rolling in the next month with any luck, just depends how long it takes for the grant money to arrive.

Ahh I get ya now. And yes... don't wanna start purchasing without the cash.

I was very interested in the implementation of this setup. Have you arrived on a final spec?

When I stumbled on this thread a couple weeks ago... I was trying to look for large format monitors running on SDI component to an HDMI converter. It's really handy being able to run coax. From what I've seen of them the converter makes both monitors register a single screen in windows, although I haven't had a play with it. I can't seem to find any large format screens with SDI in my googlings. None at a reasonable price anyway.

I was very interested in the implementation of this setup. Have you arrived on a final spec?

Depends on what's available for the TV screens but it will be 6 40 to 42 in and one 65 to 72 inch with 5 of the smaller screens and the larger screen in on co-ordinated display. The 6th 40 to 42 in screen will be a stand alone unit and will use a simple USB stick with images containing info on local attractions, centre opening hours and that sort of stuff. An info screen if you will.

The controller PC will be a lowish end AMD Ryzen build I reckon with most likely a couple of GTX 1050 vid cards to run the displays. Unless I can find suitable ATI cards, still looking.

Depends on what's available for the TV screens but it will be 6 40 to 42 in and one 65 to 72 inch with 5 of the smaller screens and the larger screen in on co-ordinated display. The 6th 40 to 42 in screen will be a stand alone unit and will use a simple USB stick with images containing info on local attractions, centre opening hours and that sort of stuff. An info screen if you will.

The controller PC will be a lowish end AMD Ryzen build I reckon with most likely a couple of GTX 1050 vid cards to run the displays. Unless I can find suitable ATI cards, still looking.

Lol. AMD cards old fruit.

I suppose a USB stick for TV #6 would be fine.. no need for a chrome cast or anything whiz bang.

How're you routing cabling? Would daisy chaining screen to screen be any easier than a hydra type setup? (I don't know if the screens you're considering support the right version of DP, let alone MST)

Would like to daisy chain with DP Nich but finding TVs with DP 1.2 and two ports to allow daisy chaining is proving problematic, but it would be ideal.

• Like 1

Would like to daisy chain with DP Nich but finding TVs with DP 1.2 and two ports to allow daisy chaining is proving problematic, but it would be ideal.

With your budget... I don't think that's a luxury you can afford.

There is that too. :-(

There is that too. :-(

What we could do with money no object.

Okey Dokey an update.

Controller PC is

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPU

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4

Kingston SUV400 480GB SSD

Coolermaster N400 ATX Case

Corsair 650W CX 80+ Bronze PSU

2x Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming 2GB

Running Windows 10 Ultimate (From the customers own VLK).

PC is set to turn itself on each morning from a BIOS setting and shuts down in the arvo from a scheduled task.

Screens connected to the above via HDMI leads.

5 x TCL 40S6000 40" Smart TVs

1 x TCL 65C2US 65" Smart Android TV.

+ 1 TCL 40S6000 running by itself for a stand alone info display.

A little video of them in operation

https://imgur.com/a/UD7IF

Images are prelim only for testing to check everything works.

Now on to some problems I am still trying to sort.

Windows does not auto hide the mouse pointer so have had to install AutoHideMouseCursor to do this. Seems Windows does not treat slideshowsdealie as a full screen application. Don't know if there is a way to do this or not.

The cheaper 40s6000 tvs have timers built in so I can set them to turn on and off at specific times. Unfortunately the 65C2US does not have an inbuilt power timer that I can find (yes read the manual as well).

So trying to get the TV to turn on and off via HDMI CEC.

Got one of these https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter to try but seems you need XBMC or Kodi installed and running on the PC to trigger the commands.

Trying to find a way to emulate this so I don't need either of the media player programmes installed or running.