Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
SonOfNoddy

I got windows 10 and it's not ok

Ok so I finally got win10 after many a procrastination and I don't like it ;-; I want to go back to windows 7 but I can't because I need dx12 and I don't like this ;-;

So yeah sorry for the rant :/ probably needs to go in the green room /shrug

p.s. cybes this is for you xd

I don't like it either. The look and feel is very contemporary and I reckon will age badly. I absolutely hate the stuff like disappearing scroll bars and forcing desktop/laptop users to put up with apps that are more geared towards tablets or phones.

Win7 and even XP has a nice organic feel about them, and a good mix of fashion and functionality which in computing are often mutually exclusive... although they've gone backwards with the default Start menu since Vista.

Sure, Win10 has the supposedly better underpinnings like scheduling, handling error conditions and general kernal stuff that's hidden from view.

But what you do get to see isn't exactly pretty.

The other thing is that for whatever reason, simple file and folder operations seem to get slower with each new OS. I've done data moves between drives in various configs and the throughput is about half what I'd have hoped for, and definitely slower than what you usually get with XP and 7.

Finally, the arrogance of making things like Safe Mode less accessable to the user - MS for whatever reason thought they'd made a bulletproof OS, but it seems to have a worse than ever reputation insofar as startup/shutdown and update problems.

Great, now you went and got rybags all riled up about kids these days and how they don't appreciate the nice timeless Fisher Price aesthetic XP had.

You also didn't tell us why you don't like it, so yeah, maybe you should've dumped it into the green room.

• Like 2

Great, now you went and got rybags all riled up about kids these days and how they don't appreciate the nice timeless Fisher Price aesthetic XP had.

You also didn't tell us why you don't like it, so yeah, maybe you should've dumped it into the green room.

I appreciate the aesthetics xp had, but mainly the reason I don't like it is because it's different :/

We are moving the workplace to windows 10, it's been no issues with normal office machines. We keep weird ass bms machines on windows 7 due to the required software.

mainly the reason I don't like it is because it's different :/

You're different.

FeelsBadMan....but i've noticed that win10 is running a LOT slower than win7....like, i'll randomly get lag spikes or things won't open or just everything will drop to working at 2 frames xd anyone else had similar problems?

edit: fixed the problem

Edited by SonOfNoddy

FeelsBadMan....but i've noticed that win10 is running a LOT slower than win7....like, i'll randomly get lag spikes or things won't open or just everything will drop to working at 2 frames xd anyone else had similar problems?

edit: fixed the problem

Coming to grips with it already, I see. It'll stop feeling weird in about a month. Whether that is you becoming accustomed to it, or Stockholm Syndrome is left as an exercise for the student. ;p

• Like 2

Classic Shell fixes everything.

Or you can try AltShell

http://www.altshell.com/AltShell/index.html

Or my Favorite,

ReactOS Explorer

win8explorer_new.png

You've probably heard of it, but ReactOS is an Open source, fully compatible WINDOWS fork.

It's its own open source version of Windows that can run genuine Windows binaries.

Plus side, is you can replace "Real Windows" explorer.exe entirely! :)

Meaning a Windows Kernel, with a React Shell.

Why on gods green earth would you want to run classic shell. Win 10 UX is buttkicking. #nottrolling :)

• Like 2

He needs DX12 so I don't if the React OS folks have implemented that yet

That shouldn't be relevant for the Shell though. I'm not suggesting he use the whole OS just replace explorer.exe

Why on gods green earth would you want to run classic shell. Win 10 UX is buttkicking. #nottrolling :)

I'd agree if I could simplify as much as things like XP let me do.

I want a quicklaunch bar back, without pinning (SKYPE pinning is still broken), if I could REMOVE the fucking notifications center, not just hide it. and remove the firewall hits every time I open the start menu.

The rest? Yeah it works pretty sleek

Edited by Master_Scythe

We use classic shell at work on all new win10 installs ... so I don't have retrain everyone here how to use w10 interface. I have a w10 mobile phone (2 actually) so it doesn't bother me but classic shell makes w10 like w7 to people who don't care and these users don't

Edited by Jeruselem

We use classic shell at work on all new win10 installs ... so I don't have retrain everyone here how to use w10 interface. I have a w10 mobile phone (2 actually) so it doesn't bother me but classic shell makes w10 like w7 to people who don't care and these users don't

i'm a user that does xd but i'm starting to get used to it, hid away cortana (yuck) and that task viewer thing and made the icons small, also minimised my start menu to as much as I could so it looks like win7, some things can't change (like the new login screen *throws up*) but i'm getting used to it :/

i'm a user that does xd but i'm starting to get used to it, hid away cortana (yuck) and that task viewer thing and made the icons small, also minimised my start menu to as much as I could so it looks like win7, some things can't change (like the new login screen *throws up*) but i'm getting used to it :/

It's just a text field? But you can disable logins if you'd rather.

You'll probably also want to do violence to Edge.

It's just a text field? But you can disable logins if you'd rather.

You'll probably also want to do violence to Edge.

Edge is actually genius. A+ to microsoft for that one.

A browser where plugins are a load-per-session, (certain) cookies are cleared by default, and rendering changes are reset each launch?

As the world moves to an online "I just want to use facebook" type of clientele, this is absolutely genious.

It will always 'just work'.

And for the nerds, we can change it.

SoN, whack a webcam on and use Windows Hello.

Now you have log-in security, and no need to deal with a text field which is already worlds better than windows 7 could be (switching users in windows 7 was like pulling teeth by comparison).

as it stands, W10 has severe issues with respect to privacy and reflects a microsoft emboldened to be more intrusive than ever before. so i won't be moving on until i know how to properly lock it down.

also, as Rybags mentioned, the borking of traditional access to safe mode since 8 can be a major PITA.

having said that, man, they really have sorted out most of the UX issues that were only partially fixed by 8.1. its still all a bit ugly and monochrome imo, but functionally, everything you need is right there. its more intuitive than 8 for noobs without making power users feel like they are in a stupid cage. theyve finally (mostly) hit on that elusive and oh so critical balance.

in other news...non-developers can now side load windows apps, which is a very welcome easing up on the walled garden direction theyve been veering towards. (never go full retard)

Edited by @~thehung

Considering how much Android and Mac OS do the same data mining as windows 10, it's unfair just to target Windows 10.

Move to Linux if one wants to avoid their OS data mining them.

• Like 1

​well thats a non sequitur — since an evaluation of the relative faults of OSes by other companies was well outside the scope of my point — and one that implies that calling attention to the significant bolstering, in the latest iteration of windows, of practices that many deem undesirable, is somehow "unfair".

by the way, i saw you taking issue with the real estate laws in this country the other day. you will note that nobody drew a false equivalence to the real estate laws in other countries, nor suggested that any number of countries with laws 'just as bad' in any way should diminish the faults you perceive, nor that expressing your view was unfair, nor that if you think the laws need reforming maybe you should just move to another country with better ones. lets not get ideological, mkay?

I just said that about Windows 10 because I have deal with iPhones, android phones and well 100 versions of Windows as part of my work. People say windows 10 spies on them, and yes I agree ... more than win8 or 7 (win8 did secret undisclosed spying but anyway). As I have messing around with iOS and Android phones, the spying is baked in and hard to shut down - at least in Win10 Microsoft give some options to turn some if it off. I have an Android tablet and an Android TV device.

Edited by Jeruselem

I just said that about Windows 10 because I have deal with iPhones, android phones and well 100 versions of Windows as part of my work. People say windows 10 spies on them, and yes I agree ... more than win8 or 7 (win8 did secret undisclosed spying but anyway). As I have messing around with iOS and Android phones, the spying is baked in and hard to shut down - at least in Win10 Microsoft give some options to turn some if it off. I have an Android tablet and an Android TV device.

iOS is actually shockingly 'private'. From what I know the only mining is Ads, and app list. (and Siri, if you use it)

Is there more?

And this comes from an Apple product hater (as a consumer, they just dont match how I like to use a device).

I mean, iMessages being encrypted end to end with private keys? Yes please..... Bring the damn thing to android

Edited by Master_Scythe