g__day

Pondering a workstation build to process astro images + occassionally play games

So it's consistent across all its operations? From the moment you press go and look at CPU usage you only see one core loaded throughout? Will try it on my sons i5 and i7 cores on WIn 7 and WIn10 - but from memory yours is the first ever PC I have heard only using one core. Will also ask on several astronomy forums and see what they can suggest.

Cheers Dasa

yeah it never loads more than one core

it couldnt be due to the image im using?

Possibly most images would have the star fields move by a few pixels each shot given tracking isn't perfect or the mounts axis might not be orthogonal to the Earth's axis.

You could try ten frames and if you photoshoped then to shift the image around slightly but keep the same picture size (width and breadth) it would give DSS a bit more work to do.

Interesting development last week - GITHub posted a 20.4MB 64 bit version of Deep Sky Stacker v4.1.0 and its much, much faster - I just stacked 20 images of M20 and all up it took about 3 minutes.

https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases/download/4.1.0-Release/DeepSkyStacker64Installer.zip

Have to play with it some more - but it looks pretty much the same - just the stacking is a lot faster, not sure about the registering but stacking was wow the first time around!

Posted (edited)

i wouldnt bother with aio there expensive more prone to failure and loud for the level of performance they provide

Can you point me to some failure rate info?

The main reason I haven't looked at this myself is because if liquid cooling fails it can do more damage.

As for noise & performance, from what I've read it's only the very top end air solutions that stack up and, as I've experienced, they are very dependent on mobo layout.

Just a little update on this

Mates pc with a h80 ~7 years old just exploded at the cpu block all over his sound card the pc was making some horrible sounds through the speakers when he tried to turn it on and when he realized why he ripped the power out till it dried and it seems to have survived

A few days later i see somebody on whirlpool forums just upgraded to a 1080ti only to have there h80i leak all over it a few months outside of its 5y warranty they were not so lucky most there pc is dead including the new $1400 gpu

I have seen a few do this inside of warranty in the past and on a case by case basis corsair may cover the cost of the parts that died

Edited by Dasa

i wouldnt bother with aio there expensive more prone to failure and loud for the level of performance they provide

Can you point me to some failure rate info?

The main reason I haven't looked at this myself is because if liquid cooling fails it can do more damage.

As for noise & performance, from what I've read it's only the very top end air solutions that stack up and, as I've experienced, they are very dependent on mobo layout.

Just a little update on this

Mates pc with a h80 ~7 years old just exploded at the cpu block all over his sound card the pc was making some horrible sounds through the speakers when he tried to turn it on and when he realized why he ripped the power out till it dried and it seems to have survived

A few days later i see somebody on whirlpool forums just upgraded to a 1080ti only to have there h80i leak all over it a few months outside of its 5y warranty they were not so lucky most there pc is dead including the new $1400 gpu

I have seen a few do this inside of warranty in the past and on a case by case basis corsair may cover the cost of the parts that died

I guess it doesn't help if the card has any form of dust (which of course it does) but wouldn't the water be demineralised? I woulda hoped so :(

I guess it doesn't help if the card has any form of dust (which of course it does) but wouldn't the water be demineralised? I woulda hoped so :(

It would be to start with so if it leaked when it was brand new it may not do much harm but over time water absorbs minerals from the metals in the loop and becomes conductive

IMO relying on "pure water" to be nonconductive is fantasy-land wishful thinking. Even if it wasn't conductive such an explosion would mean it'd immediately pick up dust and contaminants from the air and surface of parts it landed on.

I've got a water cooled system sitting on the carpet here - it's not been powered up in a long time but I still regard it as a bit of a time-bomb.