Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Throwing long range bluetooth

So, legalities aside, does anyone know how to throw\receive long range bluetooth?

By long range, I mean about 50m with one wall between.

I want to use bluetooth headphones from the Gym across the street, connecting to a computer.

I mean worst case I get an old bluetooth phone and a 128GB microSD card and leave it INSIDE the gym while I train, but since I'm only across the street I like to travel with me + towel, and thats it.

It would seem that long range BT has been around a while - seems too plenty of the USB dongles have totally the wrong sort of antenna setup which a quick/dirty mod can fix http://www.instructables.com/id/Increase-and-extend-the-range-of-a-USB-Bluetooth-d/?ALLSTEPS

As for the headphones, there's where I see a possible problem. Pretty sure all BT comms is constant 2-way though for speaker devices would likely be little more than a "I'm still here" reply once in a while. I suppose all you can do is experiment yourself or do some searching to see how others coped.

From reading, you'd need like bluetooth 4 or 5. But then there's other complicating factors common with wireless transmission which reduce range.

I can stick with FM at the end of the day, it's just that there aren't really any small FM headsets, where wireless bluetooth headsets are now tiny.

I get my home WiFi from the Gym, so I could look into something there.

Hack time.

Bluetooth is 2.4GHz, attach a wifi antenna to whatever your "base station" is. Cheapo dongle from eBay connected to a PC would be ideal.

So being 2.4ghz, a 6db whip designed for Wifi would be ideal?

I have a few laying around.

I might even try a 'standard' antenna from a wifi modem....

I imagine the wattage of BT would pale compared to Wifi. Funny thing is, the crappy old DLink routerI used to have had the best Wifi range and is the only one I had that let you change the amount of Wifi transmission power.

Also in my experience BT is a lot less robust, Wifi can put up with plenty of interference and you just lose speed where BT and the generic 2.4 GHz devices just stop working entirely.

im trying to reach say..... 30m with one wall.

So it's not beyond antenna amplifier range I think....

Might get an amplifier kit for 2.4ghz frequency from jaycar....

Perhaps.

As Ry says, the Tx power is very low, so your antenna will have to be highly directional to meaningfully increase the range.

An amplifier /might/ work, bearing in mind that BT is fairly chatty in both directions, even when using the A2DP profile.

Perhaps.

As Ry says, the Tx power is very low, so your antenna will have to be highly directional to meaningfully increase the range.

An amplifier /might/ work, bearing in mind that BT is fairly chatty in both directions, even when using the A2DP profile.

perhaps I should build a Cantenna?