Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
chrisg

Cancer

I've been a but distracted the past couple of weeks, may even have been a bit short tempered, which is not usually me, but the reason is one of my sisters has been in a rural hospital in S.A. and yesterday the diagnosis came back as both ovarian and bowel cancer and neither operable.

Chemo is her only choice, but I dunno, I' m not hugely hopeful, that's a bad mix.

We basically never get cancer in the family and a couple of us, me included have spent a deal of time in carcinogenic environments, I'm not aware that she ever has, just worked retail so it was a bit of a shock.

We'll have to see, the treatments get better all the time, but she lost her husband to the big C about a decade ago and that sure smashed her around whilst at the same time I'm sure preying on her mind at the moment.

Not going to be a good few weeks whilst we find out what they can do....

A big chunk of the family are with her at the moment which has led my two brothers and I to decide not to jump on 'planes just yet - gets to be death-bed stuff if too many turn up - I call her most days, that she appreciates, but waiting game just now...

Cheers

My sister had a non-removable cancer in one kidney, she's removed it. She's lucky she found it early. That was a shock as our family rarely get any cancers.

Hmm,

My sometimes rather odd mother tried to tell me yesterday that her father died of cancer. Well maybe, don't think they ever did an autopsy, he was 94...

I've just been through a double battery of tests because my doc wanted to check on this damned mono nucleolus and I was due a flight med, which grounded me - great, but no evidence of anything beyond the mono. Oh, slightly enlarged liver, had to point out to the doc that has been the report since I was in my twenties.

I probably do drink a bit too much, but that's not the reason for my enlarged liver, it's pretty much always been that way, no idea why. But a question re cirrhosis came back negative, so at my age I find it difficult to bother over.

I often wonder where they get their normality metrics from, I don't seem to line up very well :)

Cheers

Everyone is different, due to genetics and how our body reprograms itself in its environment. Even siblings can be very different. Applying some norm to everyone doesn't work to me.

• Like 1

Hmm,'

My own daughters are so different it is like they are from different parents, but they are not. I do relate very well to my four siblings but we do live very, very different lives.

Cheers

At the risk of sounding harsh:

There is no shortage of causes for cancer: lifestyle; genetic predisposition; toxins; viruses... And just plain old cosmic ray damage - something you can't avoid short of a lead house with mile-thick walls.

If you ever are tempted to say "Why me?" (or whoever), instead ask "Why NOT me? What makes me so damned special?" It's a horrible fact of life that some people just get it, and treatment, whilst improving all the time, is still pretty patchy.

Sorry, man. Having walked this road myself, I know it isn't easy, but I also know that people take it personally and it just isn't.

Not good to hear... my family history of it isn't exactly great. Lost a grandmother when I was barely 4, she was probably a few years younger than I am now.

Had an aunty on the other side of the family die about 20 years ago, I don't think she was much over 50.

Condolences. My step-father passed away from bowel cancer about 7 years ago. Apparently it's not nice (duh). I barely knew the man so I can't say I have had any close contact with that. My wife had cervical cancer diagnosed in late 2012, but she's all good and C free now. No one in my genetic family I know of has had Cancer.

Big hugs to you and your sister

Thanks man.

Cybes I guess that is what I do find a bit difficult to understand.

I've spent an awful lot of time at high altitude in aircraft that don't shield you at all and sometimes carrying what I call thin-skin nukes. I quite literally tick on a Geiger counter. One of my brothers works with known carcinogenic substances the other is pretty much always out in the sun.

Yet we are fine, all my sister has done apart from raise kids is work in retail, Woolies the latest, yet she's the one to get hit.

It's a lottery I suppose.

Cheers

best of luck for the time ahead...

Thanks Mac, her spirits are still high, real treatment just began today apparently.

Cheers

I'm not a fan of yours Chris, as we all well know; but having been through more than a handful of close family members dying from bowel cancer, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I honestly hope she responds well to the treatment.

Well, we can have our disagreements See, but thanks, tomorrow we get the broader treatment programme apparently.

In the interim they were using some more generic treatment because being a smallish rural hospital they get rotating oncologists down from Adelaide. The last one was down on Thursday and all the samples went up to the lab same day. I'm no expert on it at all, but they seem to be looking after her well.

She doesn't want to get transferred to Adelaide which I kind of understand because all her immediate family are down where she is but it does make it a bit difficult for others in the family.

My mother, other sister and my youngest brother are there at the moment, my other brother is in Cummins, about 100kms from Port Lincoln and I'm in Perth - makes it difficult, but we'll do what needs to be done.

Cheers

Sorry to read about it Chris.

Cancer is something that my family does not have much history with, although it has started showing it's face in my parent's generation - in their late 70s onwards - heart disease and stroke is enough to deal with.

Best wishes for you and your family.

Thanks stadl,

She was not there the night I met you but she is a lovely woman who through no fault of her own has had a pretty tough life, I suspect that is a factor but again I'm no expert.

Cheers

In the past, cancer was untreatable. Now we have "options". At least we know a lot more about cancers.

At the risk of sounding harsh:

There is no shortage of causes for cancer: lifestyle; genetic predisposition; toxins; viruses... And just plain old cosmic ray damage - something you can't avoid short of a lead house with mile-thick walls.

If you ever are tempted to say "Why me?" (or whoever), instead ask "Why NOT me? What makes me so damned special?" It's a horrible fact of life that some people just get it, and treatment, whilst improving all the time, is still pretty patchy.

Sorry, man. Having walked this road myself, I know it isn't easy, but I also know that people take it personally and it just isn't.

Take this mans advice ^ He's done the long yards with his conditions.

And the bastard still didnt let us push him the whole way up the Breakfast Creek Hotel hills..... Stubborn... lol

And the bastard still didnt let us push him the whole way up the Breakfast Creek Hotel hills..... Stubborn... lol

I'd forgotten that. Sounds like me. ;p

I'd forgotten that. Sounds like me. ;p

Yep, We were all waiting for the literal "Ive fallen and I can't get up" but kudos to you.

Have you improved\declined since that? I remember at that point you had probably 5% equilibrium at best.

Have you improved\declined since that? I remember at that point you had probably 5% equilibrium at best.

Not really. :p Reckon I'd pretty much got all back I was going to by then.

*Sad smile*

I don't really know if she wants to beat it and that is half the battle.

One part of her just wants to stay and be with her kids and grandkids, another, perhaps as my wife would put it more spiritual part just wants to go back to her husband...

Dunno, in the end it is her choice...

Cheers

:/ Sounds kinda metaphysical, which I personally hate, but it really is. I mean, you can't pull your chestnuts out of the fire just by wishing, but you sure as hell can convince yourself into a grave - that's how "pointing the bone" works.

:/ Sounds kinda metaphysical, which I personally hate, but it really is. I mean, you can't pull your chestnuts out of the fire just by wishing, but you sure as hell can convince yourself into a grave - that's how "pointing the bone" works.

I have a mate who, luck continuing, was given 3 months to live (lymphoma). That was about 10 years ago!

His initial response? "I'll be VERY sick, but I'm not going to die, I have shit to do!"

I have two stories about this friend, which make me laugh.

Story 1:

One, was when he was diagnosed with complete immune system failure, and was told "No, a clean room will improve, but no way guarantee you'll make the night".

"Well" he said, "It's a Tuesday, and I have dinner with friends on Tuesdays, so I'm outta here"

He was warned, he could die from a simple cold virus, but true to him.

"I could die tonight anyway, If it's my last day, I'm doing it with friends.... I'm not diagnosed insane, you check me in, I'll check myself out. Don't waste my time."

So, we were sitting at dinner, all of us blissfully unaware this could be his last night (thank god it wasn't).... toward the end of the fun night, he told us.....

"Umm" I said, "The only reason I'm here tonight is because I'm absolutely full of flu tablets, I'm really sick...."

After a grim chuckle, I got warned - "If I die, I'm haunting you!"

I agreed that's fair.... lol. Trooper keeps goin'!

Story 2: - Less funny, just more a 'proof to what you said'.

He went to see his immunologist, "Michael?"

"That's me" He said.

"No...... umm.... Michael *****"

"Yeah, that's me"

"How can you have the energy to walk? This mustn't be your chart"

"Yeah that's mine, Lets get this done"

So after discussing how low his numbers were, and admitting how sick he FELT, as opposed to showed, he explained;

"No, I have work tomorrow, a kid's having a Birthday party!"

The immunologist was horrified he worked with kids, and in a shopping mall, so many germs, viruses, the lot! "Why do you do it?"

"Because I love it....."

"Then never stop" She said, "You have a reason to get up tomorrow, so you will"

and he agreed.

Basically he's not going anywhere until his work is done, and that bastard never is done. He's a 'big brother' to so many of us, he can't go anywhere. hehe.