Sign in to follow this  
redrob

laptop home screen jumping

So tonight my missus laptop decided to chuck a spaz and is now jumping and has extremley bright colours i tried to send a pic with tiny pic but i get the eror message im not allowed to sent that type of image

Has it had impact or liquid damage lately? (the laptop, that is, not the missus)

• Like 1

Hm mmmmmmm teenager home sick today swares it wasnt her

it has a pink line 50mm from the top and screen jumping up and down hard to explain without a video of it ,ive sent pics before just cant remember what i used

You can just post the bare link without using [ img ] or the picture icon.

• Like 1

Display might be RS, display cable might be RS or simply have dislodged a bit from it's mount, though they use fairly secure clamping mechanisms.

In any case the thing probably needs to come apart, some laptops is piss-easy where simply removing a plastic piece above the keyboard, few screws then pull off the keyboard to reveal where the display cable meets the motherboard. In others somewhat more complex and if it's not at that end then the top half would need disassembly to check it and replace the display if necessary - the cable at that end is normally at the back of the display, usually a similar type of plug arrangement as for the motherboard.

A job to tackle only if you can be organised and document the disassembly so you know what goes where when it goes back together, and only if you have the dexterity to deal with small fiddly things.

• Like 1

On the back theres a few screws do i remove these ,cant see how i would remove the plastic on the front above the keyboard its a pavilion if that helps

just found out teenager just got home spilt some water on the keyboard 2 days ago .didnt say anything coz she cleaned it up

HP have used Pavillion as a name for years so not much help.

Entirely possible if you just left it turned off for a few days that it could fix itself once dried out. But entirely more likely the liquid has either/both shorted or oxidized contacts on the cable or motherboard and would need looking at.

• Like 1

Thanks again Rybags for your help. i dont think i would try and tackle the task anyway i only have one good eye ,if it dosnt fix itself its off to the bin .

It'd probably work fine on an external monitor... if it's later than Core2 era then probably worth rescuing.

On the back theres a few screws do i remove these ,cant see how i would remove the plastic on the front above the keyboard its a pavilion if that helps

just found out teenager just got home spilt some water on the keyboard 2 days ago .didnt say anything coz she cleaned it up

That happens, one of the techs here gave us a laptop with weird issues - turns out they spilt cola on the keyboard but didn't tell us that!

In fact the phone repair guy I know says most water damaged phones, the owners don't recall getting the phone wet - they are either lying or were drunk at the time.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

so if i conect it to the tv can still watch netflix on hdmi ,ill try that thanks