Mac Dude

Energy companies, sigh.

Over the past few months a couple of young ladies knocked on our door offering us cheap electricity & gas. Both times I went through our bill with them and in the end they agreed that we were on a pretty good wicket and they couldn't hep us.

Today as I was reading about the change in solar feed-in tariff, I decided to check what we were paying and compare it to what the market was currently offering. In the back of my mind was a recent Choice report which condemned telcos and energy suppliers for lowering rates for new customers but leaving their old customers on higher rates.

I went through an online comparison then rang the mob that supposedly had the best deal. After a check of our current bill, this person said we could save between $100 and $120 per quarter.

Awesome!

So they send me the details and after deciphering the quote, my current bill, peak usage, non-peak usage, daily service charges, discounts, rebates and the position of Venus, my little Excel spreadsheet tells me I can save $12 per quarter.

When I rang them back the sales person said that my quote hadn't been processed and could I call back tomorrow.

I'll be interested in what they have to say.

Overall the rates with my current provider are slightly better but their overall discount is smaller (30% versus 34%).

I think I'll just ring them and tell them to match the discount or I'll switch :)

Edited by Mac Dude

I get the door knockers at work every six months, always claiming to save me 10%

straight up that is not correct

half my bill is for power used off peak, they cannot offer me a saving there, service fees, no saving

so they might be able to give a 5% saving, hardly worth it

so they might be able to give a 5% saving, hardly worth it

if you can sniff at a 5% discount, you obviously have too much money

send 5% of it to me

Your bill is made up in such a way that there is a charge for the fact you have the pleasure of having electricity,then you have the standing charge

for the meter and the meter reader to read it and the lovely GST.If your added the first three together you would find that nearly half your bill goes

to these items.Years ago it use to be say the first 300 KW Hrs at say X$ ,then the next or rest was at say Y$. X the first 300 KW Hrs would be a penalty

nearly 2 to 21/2 times the price of Y.Then they changed it to the first 30 KW Hrs per day at X$+ ,then the next 100 KW Hrs was Y$+ ,and privatised it and

now you revert back to the start ie.Top of the page.It has been done by stealth over the years I am a sparky and worked the later part of my career

with the supply authorities.You can cut your bill by going on whats called TOU which stands for Time of Use.If say you work all day and these is no one

home,that is when there are Peak Loads because all the power is being used by offices, factories etc, now your done your toil you come home,there

is still a lot going on but not such a drag on the power usage [this is not you] it is a Mid Range as far as the draw on the power companies goes.

Say at 10pm this the Off Peak time or 11pm in some cases depends where you live.Now with the TOU from the 10pm or 11pm time slot your hot water

starts to heat.Now the TOU set up kicks in too,if you can put dish washer,washing machine, dryer ,pool filter or all those things that use high power on in that

Off Peak time slot your meter reads at Off Peak rates and on week ends it is on Off Peak all weekend.You would have to change your usage patterns to these times.

It may seem a pain in the arse but if you can stick to the pattern of using the high hitters as I have pointed out and be rigid about it can cut your bill by two thirds.So the

hrs you are looking at Mon to Fri 10pm or 11pm till 7am and on weekends 10pm or 11pm Fri till Mon 7am.I cut a $600 bill to $200.You would have to get a sparky

to do the metering,pay for the meter all at the only one outlay.They may say it can't be done [ the Supply Authority ]threaten them with the onsbudsman .Wish you luck:) Amen

Edited by mickf

WTF with all the CR/LFs ?

I'm guessing it was copied from notepad with the wrap left on. That's that happens when you do that.

WTF IS CR/LF'S all that I wrote was from my own mouth and was written to be helpful about electricity bills.

It is all fact from my position of face to face on the job customer high consumption electricity accounts,SERVICE

MARKER,LEADING HAND AND THEN MANAGER.SORRY ABOUT THAT.BEEN RETIRED FOR 9 YEARS.

I worked as an electrician at SRCC.THOSE WERE THE INCREMENTS OF HOW THE INCREASES BECAME INTO

BEING ON YOUR POWER BILL. SRCC It then became ENERGY SOUTH,then GREAT SOUTHERN ENERGY then COUNTRY

ENERGY then now ESSENTIAL ENERGY.ALL I DID WAS TRY TO SHOW HOW AND WHY ELECTRICITY IS

SO FUCKING DEAR NOW.THAT IS HOW THEY HAVE GOT YOU BY THE BALLS NOW. SORRY IF IT WAS NO

FUCKING USE YOU UNGRATEFUL PRICK.NOW I HAVE SOLAR AS WELL IF YOU WANT TO PAY $25000 AND MY BILL IS $90

NOT $200 IN THE WINTER, SUMMER YOU WORK IT OUT[sUN-SOLAR]

I would have to sit down next to you to explain it all.Maybe I did not write it very well as I am not real smart.

And I thought you were crying about the price of electricity?

Edited by mickf

be chill, mickf

they are referring to the layout ( cr = carriage return i think, which is the typewriter equivalent of hitting enter in a word processor at the end of each line, but you don't have to, as the computer will do that for you if you just keep typing a wall of text)

lf is more tricky - but googling suggests it might mean "line feed" - the gap between your lines

personally i quite like that, because it's easier for me to read most long poststhat way

i think there was no dissent with the contents of your post, the others were just being style nazis about the layout

LF and CR is a dinosaur relic tranferred from typewriters to the ASCII code system when computers got started.

Overusing linefeeds in a post doesn't look great.

How can I be the "UNGRATEFUL PRICK" ?

I wasn't asking any question or favour.

Except maybe, and really is it asking too much for the extra few seconds to format a post so it at least appears to be readable. Hint - the "More Reply Options" or "Preview Post" button will give you a just that - a rendering of how your post will appear to other people.

It's not like it's 1989 and we have to put up with crappy unformatted text or copy/paste operations that have been molested by crappy Dos programs that insert their own formatting.

And while you're at it, maybe keep an eye on that Caps Lock LED as well?

Edited by Rybags

You OK dude? My god.....

WTF IS CR/LF'S all that I wrote was from my own mouth and was written to be helpful about electricity bills.

Line breaks; or in super layman terms "space between lines"

all that I wrote was from my own mouth

No one said it wasn't......

YOU UNGRATEFUL PRICK

Someone yelling (typing in caps lock), and attacking someone who simply asked what was up with line space?

He hadn't even posted in this thread before, so what the hell dude?

I am not real smart.

Well you made THAT abundantly clear.

Geez dude, this isn't Facebook, manners, respect, spelling, and basic friendship are all things to practice, if you hope to make friends in this world.

You can't just fly off the handle then expect people to be OK with it.

Lucky you have a choice, here there's one provider pretty much and guaranteed they increase charges. And it's government run.

Anyway, the saga continues...

I rang the new retailer back and had a go at them for over estimating their savings - sure you give me a bigger discount but your base rates are higher.

They put me through to another department who apologised for the initial stuffup then offered me a 44% discount.

:|

At this point I plugged the new figures in to my little spreadsheet and estimated what my current supplier could do (34% I assumed).

This made the new supplier more attractive, but not enough to change so I thanked them for their time.

I then rang up my current supplier, Origin, told them what I'd been offered (44%) and what were they going to do to keep my business. The dude ran the figures and said that Origin would still be cheaper because of the lower base rates, I took him through the figures until he agreed I was correct and the Origin was more expensive.

And what were they going to do about it?

Nothing.

They weren't going to budge off their advertised 30%.

So now I'll call the new guys back and take them up on their 44% offer. Just need to confirm how long the discount is for, that there is no lock in contract and that the feed in tariff will go up to 11c on July 1st.

They are all a pack of vaginas(apologies to all the vaginas out there).

At least you have a choice Mac, we just get what is offered....Although in all honesty I don't really mind it, some vital services I prefer to be in the hands of government - that way it is easy to hurl abuse if it goes astray, but actually it rarely does over here.

Cheers

Well I am sorry the way I fired up,mainly I was trying to explain the way they have put the prices up

by stealth.

The TOU metering as I tried to explain is the way to go,they are going to say its unavailable but threaten

them and see how you go.I am very slow on these bloody things and what pissed me off most was the trouble

I went to explain the best I could and how long it took me.I certainly did not google it mia culpa

Anyway, the saga continues...

And what were they going to do about it?

Nothing.

They weren't going to budge off their advertised 30%.

comes the point where they don't gain enough profit unless they charge their best advertised rate or higher

so being pissed that they won't do better is futile

if you've got a better deal, walk.... that's what makes them reconsider their next pricing offer

after much research here, i ended up sticking with agl because they were still cheapest... and then energy australia sent me a letter offering bigger discounts and $100 for switching - but no listing of their base rate and shoulder / off peak - which i know is higher

the user's calculator is good, because if you are ocd enough to input all the data from the last year to ascertain an accurate usage pattern, you get to see if it is actually cheaper to have a higher base rate - if you use most power at certain times; the extra $100 might swing it, but to close a call for the inconvenience of switching payment arrangements

it's like compulsory third party insurance - a product you can't easily avoid buying... apparently in some states it's a fixed price; but in nsw it is open season, and the variation is up to $400pa between providers for a mandatory and standard cover - the vendors will suck your marrow if you don't bother to check

Edited by scruffy1

comes the point where they don't gain enough profit unless they charge their best advertised rate or higher

so being pissed that they won't do better is futile

True, but when every other provider I've spoken to starts at 34% I expected them to move. Every time I've been to a major service provider, be it telco or bank, they have moved off their advertised rate when questioned.

Well now it's almost every time. :)

I'm just surprised really, everybody has some wiggle room...

Speaking of Origin they are a public company, they took over Country Energies retail business.Country Energy is a Govt owned company, they are all a pack of c____ts these power company retailers.

AGL accepted the TOU when I had it installed and so did Origin,but not happy little chappies either of them

The only other discount I got was 15% for direct debit.