Sign in to follow this  
Fat_Bodybuilder

3 x 640GB or 2 x 1TB Drives?

Hey guys, what's up 'n' all that Jazz.

At the moment I am thinking about getting more storage space for my server, but I'm not 100% sure what I should get, here's some information about the server:

Athlon X2 4200+

mATX Motherboard

350w Generic PSU (which will also be replaced soon)

2GB DDR2-667

Samsung 500GB w/32mb Cache

WD 320GB w/16mb Cache

At the moment I have it configured extremely badly, basically all I have done is installed Windows XP Pro on it and certain folders which contain all the data which needs to be accessible.

What I was thinking is Starting fresh with 3 x 640GB, getting a RAID PCI card, then putting the 3 drives in a RAID 3 or RAID 5 setup, atm I'm leaning more towards the RAID 5 - and really, the only reason I want a RAID setup on the server is for backup purposes.

If I got the 2 x 1TB drives, then I'd have to wait till I got a 3rd, because I'm not keen for a RAID1 setup where literally half my storage is just gone.

So what do I like to do with the server?

Not much really. I do host large ISOs on there, operating systems, Ripped games, Ripped DVDs.

I've started to get in the habit of putting dad's massive DVD collection on my server, for easy access. He's got over 450 now and so I rip a good one every now and then, this takes up 90%+ CPU usage and penty of RAM - the conversion to AVI, that is.

I don't do any visualization on the server, I do run some ded servers of games on there sometimes, but not really often. When at a LAN, multiple people access the PC at any given time so that could put a bit of stress on etc.

Sooo yeah, what do you think?

RAID != Backup.

It means redundancy but don't rely on it wholly.

As for the number up to you. 640's would be better at this point if you can't afford another TB.

You'd also be well off springing for a decent card, but it looks like you are on a budget to begin with.

Aren't we all on some budget?

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I am planning on installing something like Windows Home Server on it, and then running a Proxy server on it (purely to cache internetz). I'm also intending to add all the PCs in the house to a domain which would be controlled by the server, making it easier to set permissions to certain users, etc.

I did not realise that RAID wasn't for backups, I only assumed so because of the data copying over multiple drives.

If that is the case then I wouldn't really want to go for RAID, however what would be a suitable option to use? Norton Ghost? >.>

I'm also thinking about getting the 640GB for their renowned read/write speeds, especially sinse I'm copying very large files to and fro. Speaking of which, I'm also intending to set the parition size of the drives to be large, and so the Allocation Size Unit can be large naturally (though I guess this can be changed).

Also, I have no idea about SATA RAID cards, are they generally expensive?

I didn't think WHS did domains? Domains are a pain in the arse anyway most of the time, so you'll be overcomplicating a solution to a problem you probably don't even need to solve. And if you're going to run WHS, I'd be more inclined to use the storage pool technology provided, rather than usurping it with hardware RAID.

Then again, I'd do it properly and build a Solaris/ZFS file server.

RAID is for redundancy. It protects you against individual or multiple drive failure, depending on level, but it does not protect against things such as file deletion / overwriting / corruption that a backup would. Or entire array failure. Or drive failure exceeding your RAID level protection.

yeah backing up 1.4tb of data without any money isnt fun, my backup is stuck at about 60% atm, need to buy more disks.

i would use 3 1tb drives for expandability. I dont know what options there are for windows but on linux i just use the md raid driver has worked fantastically for couple of years now + you can expand arrays.

Does not sound as though you are storing anything you could not afford to loose on there, ie it would be a pain in the bum to rip all those dvd's again but it is possible. So I'd probably just go for a jbod a raid 0 version of either setup, the 640's allow you to move to raid 5 if you should want it.

Consider using something more suitable in solaris, zfs is awesome! it almost brings a tear to the eye... almost - but it doesn't, that would be gay. :P

Dont be afraid of solaris, the hardest bit of it is actually setting up Samba.

Hi Mate,

If your going to reconfigure the machine and run WHS OS you don't require a RAID setup, in fact if you read the M$ white papers on WHS it runs better using it's own backup built into the OS, so just go the 1TB drives install WHS and it will even give you the option of file duplication on the rips etc you don't want to loose.

It's an awesome operating system, and cheap and easy to set up and use, plus you can have access to your files over the internet as well!!!

Cheer's

PS Go to Wegotserved website and read up on the OS and all the stuff it can do.

I didn't think WHS did domains? Domains are a pain in the arse anyway most of the time, so you'll be overcomplicating a solution to a problem you probably don't even need to solve. And if you're going to run WHS, I'd be more inclined to use the storage pool technology provided, rather than usurping it with hardware RAID.

Nope it can't and yes probably overcomplicating it.

However it can be set up with WSUS to do the windows updates on the LAN which could be a bonus for the OP.