Sign in to follow this  
B82R3S

Need help restricting limited user access in windows xp

Hey all,

reformatted a laptop for a family friend and she wanted the wireless "ripped out" so her child could not use it on the internet.

I suggested he should just be a limited user and a script could enable/disable the wireless. Ive set that up well but i just realise the fn + wireless key works as a limited user to disable or enable the wireless. Is there a setting somewhere that i can set to disable it?

And how do i go about disabling access to certain applications?

Julius

Can you disable the wireless in the BIOS?

If you uninstall it from Device Manager it'll try and reinstall it every boot won't it? I guess a restricted account wouldn't be able to install the drivers for it though right? :S bit messy...

What about not saving the wireless security key so it has to be entered every time?

Does anyone else need to use the wireless on the laptop?

If you uninstall it from Device Manager it'll try and reinstall it every boot won't it? I guess a restricted account wouldn't be able to install the drivers for it though right? :S bit messy...

What about not saving the wireless security key so it has to be entered every time?

Yeah id rather not have to uninstall the card and reinstall it every time.

Im thinking if i disable/enable the zero config through a script that might work. Just hope he doesnt install a wireless config app (hes only 12 atm but i think he might be slightly less noob in a couple of years).

Yeah id rather not have to uninstall the card and reinstall it every time.

Im thinking if i disable/enable the zero config through a script that might work. Just hope he doesnt install a wireless config app (hes only 12 atm but i think he might be slightly less noob in a couple of years).

Why not have the mum enter the WEP/WPA key whenever she wants to use the internet and not save it, just like a password?

lol neighbours have wifi with no password and they also have networked pc's so he could access the router via ethernet and reset password.

Anyway this seems to work

If request=enable

*code to enable wifi card(i got it on the laptop)*

net start "Wireless Zero Configuration"

else

opposite

I just need a cmd to blank all network choices because if the wiresless is re-enabled it just jumps back to the last network

lol neighbours have wifi with no password ...

fail :<

... and they also have networked pc's so he could access the router via ethernet and reset password.

Change the admin password would fix that though :p

Guess disabling the wireless service will do until he learns more about PCs.

You could literally rip it out. You might want to get it in writing first though...

Well if the router is passworded i would just factory reset it ;)

This works.

devcon disable *Device id*

net stop Wireless blah blah

bashing the fn keys doesnt work anymore now :D

The other underlying reason is she insinuated her 12 year old son is 1337 and would pwn me, since he managed to find a secret hack for excel the other week to play a game.... (you know that 3d thing).

Anyway how do i restrict access to certain applications like msn? is there a way to make it require admin privelages so she can put in password for when its allowed? And i cant get http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780 to work for me except for the recently used program list in the start menu?

Atm im just using runas from the cmd prompt but its shitting me, if i could have it in the context menu for all files that would be great.

That won't work if the kid does not know the ADSL account details, especially the password.

What if you disabled (not uninstall) the wireless card in Device Manager. I'm fairly sure that a regular User would not be able to "able" it again.

(Okay, you've solved it already, but thought I'd offer another solution :P)

Rob.

That won't work if the kid does not know the ADSL account details, especially the password.

They have a cable modem with settings and a seperate router.