Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
unsinkable86

Updating current PC?

https://gyazo.com/14be21428bdf886de21c6ceee4218bbf < Current memory information.

https://gyazo.com/47206ca2517ead8742367919e3237b77

I found it strange that my Ram was running at 800Mhz, My friend mentioned it to me after reading the benchmark and i was like oh yeah! Went to the bios and behold it was set at 400. Iv never touched Ram settings in the Bios so i cannot answer as to why it was set at such speeds.

Currently have my Ram positions set at <CPU>Ram>Empty>Ram>Empty.

Edited by unsinkable86

That first CPUz screenshot looks about right - it reports the Ram cycle frequency as opposed to the doubled figure which is the data rate.

Your memory timings match the SPD data which means they're set correctly too. If your Ram is stickered at higher than 1600 you could probably run it at a higher speed but whether you'd get much benefit is doubtful.

If you're happy with the setup, probably a good idea to run the benchmark again (that memory score looks a bit sad). Best to do so after a fresh reboot, have nothing else running so you don't get degraded results. Stuff like an active Windows Update, virus scan or even having the Windows Search service enabled can screw over your results.

FWIW, my Asus GTX970 runs silent in 2d stuff on windows. Start a game that demands a lot of GPU power tho'? I can definitely hear it over/through my headphones.

Are you happy with how loud your new GPU is? How fast it all runs?

FWIW, my Asus GTX970 runs silent in 2d stuff on windows. Start a game that demands a lot of GPU power tho'? I can definitely hear it over/through my headphones.

Are you happy with how loud your new GPU is? How fast it all runs?

That sounds like you need a custom fan curve. Fan speed has diminishing returns.

70% is usually no, or minorly, hotter than 90%

The fan doesn't spin up to 100%. I think it is capped at 70%. They're still noisy fucks tho'.

Hello, I made a new account as that was my old account (Unsinkable) and i didn't like the old name. Iv had my baby today so i haven't had much computer time lately. Very happy with the SSD, cant believe iv been using mehanical this far. I wont be able to go back now! :P

As for specs, im alittle bummed about my CPU and Memory, To me meaning i can either wait to find a bargain and buy an i5/i7 with MoBo, Or when i have money next i buy something new off the shelf. All is well tho my main problem of low FPS has been solved and i am very thankful for the help from you all.

Some possible upgrade options - AMD FX8350 is $185 @ MSY but your power supply might need upgrading too. In multithreaded tasks, it compares favourably with most of the i5/i7 quad-cores in the mid 3GHz range.

- new Ryzen 5 1500X @ $248 or 1600 (6 core) @ $295 and probably another $110 on top of that for motherboard, and another $80+ on RAM (you'd need to buy some DDR4).

- get an i5 or i7. I'd suggest go no older than Haswell (LGA 1150). That will usually mean decent Sata3 and USB3 on the motherboard and you can use your existing DDR3 RAM. I paid about $300 for my i7-4690, motherboard and 16 Meg of Ram. Expect to get a decent spec CPU and board in the range of $230 - $350. Sell the old CPU and board, should cover half or better.

Edited by Rybags

Hello, I made a new account as that was my old account (Unsinkable) and i didn't like the old name. Iv had my baby today so i haven't had much computer time lately. Very happy with the SSD, cant believe iv been using mehanical this far. I wont be able to go back now! :P

As for specs, im alittle bummed about my CPU and Memory, To me meaning i can either wait to find a bargain and buy an i5/i7 with MoBo, Or when i have money next i buy something new off the shelf. All is well tho my main problem of low FPS has been solved and i am very thankful for the help from you all.

Don't be bummed about it; lookat it as a source of pride.

You have an old cheap CPU, that you just overclocked, and got to run modern games.

You also managed to fix a mess up that was halving your RAM speed.

It's a good thing.

• Like 1