Never got into Appearances in it's first run but got into it a bit in the repeats.  "Long suffering" a good description but that was half of the comedy value of the show.
Onslow a funny bastard as well, he sort of reminds me of a (non-related) uncle plus he had a shitbox Cortina and so was mine by the time I'd had it for 7 years or so.

I remember Paula Duncan being somewhat more high profile than Carmen by the late 70s - barely remember 96 and The Box.  Though I think at this point a few of the Cop Shop cast have been gone for a while anyway.

paula duncan to me is only memorable because she starred in a spray and wipe commercial that completely desecrated the tune of billericay dickie

carmen was much classier

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

paula duncan to me is only memorable because she starred in a spray and wipe commercial

Cop Shop was my intro, and she was gorgeous to young me.  Seemingly everyone else at the time was raving about Lynda Stoner, but I never got anything from her but "big-titted blonde airhead", which I'm was probably unfair.

Yep, she was hot.  Almost a twin to Delvine Delane.  I liked Linda Stoner, and also remember JJ's wife being pretty hot too (Joanna Lockwood, daughter of Johnny)

i548ffwam84cwfm4.jpg

• Like 1

Albert Finney gone at 82.

Never saw him in a bad role or a bad movie and he was in a LOT.

RIP

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Albert Finney gone at 82.

Never saw him in a bad role or a bad movie and he was in a LOT.

RIP

I saw his name, thought 'who?', looked up his wiki page and realised there is only one movie there I have watched that I might have recognised him from - Erin Brokovich. His films just haven't met my favourite genres.

In regards to Paula Duncan Vs Lynda Stoner - I preferred Duncan. She had a much softer, prettier face.

A long-term English actor SN, most of his movies tended to be perhaps a little quirky, did a great Poirot though.

Cheers

if you were ever a dennis potter fan, you'd recognise finney from potter's last (and darkest) tv series "cold lazarus", a dystopian vision of the near future that is like black mirror on steroids

quite a famous brit actor, and a rather good one

rip mr finney

Yeah, most would probably recognise him in relatively recent times as Erin Brokovich's boss.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Yeah, most would probably recognise him in relatively recent times as Erin Brokovich's boss.

Cheers

First thing I noticed him in, though probably not the first thing I saw him in, was the 1990 remake of The Green Man.

I think you're wrong, btw: it'd be the Bourne movies.

53 minutes ago, Cybes said:

First thing I noticed him in, though probably not the first thing I saw him in, was the 1990 remake of The Green Man.

Except the Bourne movies cane later.

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

😉

Could be right Cybes, never really got into the Bourne movies much but Brokovich was pretty huge. Overall I'm sure the Bourne franchise grossed more but Brokovich was a great one-off.

2 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Except the Bourne movies cane later.

...That was kinda the point, given Chris' comment:\

5 hours ago, chrisg said:

most would probably recognise him in relatively recent times as Erin Brokovich's boss

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

Could be right Cybes, never really got into the Bourne movies much but Brokovich was pretty huge. Overall I'm sure the Bourne franchise grossed more but Brokovich was a great one-off.

It was indeed huge, but even if the gross had been identical the Bourne movies are both more recent (and therefore fresher in memories) and multiple exposures.

🙂

Yeah, if they are your thing, EB had somewhat broader appeal.

Really Finney was at his peak way back, Tom Jones especially I suppose, the Dresser, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (I think it was called) but most of his movies were not so much mass-market oriented - EB changed that for him for possibly the first time since Tom Jones.

I didn't even realise he was in Skyfall, oh, he also did an excellent Poirot 🙂

He was an actor that became the character rather than being a face, like say Tom Cruise. Makes him a definition of a real actor in my view.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

bruno ganz, age 77

who ? you all say

then i point out he played hitler in "downfall", and you all know who i mean immediately

sadly best remembered in the anglophone world as a meme

• Like 1

Lee Radziwill, Jackie  Onassis'  sister, dead at 85.

She had one pretty colourful life, including once being a princess.

Cheers

karl lagerfeld, age 85

chanel legend, and uber-fashionista

An alleged quote from Karl ... " "It's the fat women sitting in front of televisions with their pack of crisps who say slim models are hideous." " ... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-20/karl-lagerfeld-insulted-some-very-powerful-people/10828270

Like most artistes he has an ego and is famous enough to feel impelled to share his ' wisdom' ... although I agree his comment about attaining chic. you have it or you don't ... money won't make the "chic"

R.I.P Mr Lagerfeld.

yes, gay skinny men (though he famously lost a lot of weight because he wanted to wear a certain garment) know what motivates women of generous size, no doubt

Damn.

Peter Tork of the Monkees has died, 77.

People always thought the Monkees a bit cheesy at the beginning, created band, very lame in the end TV show, although as a band they did become much more interesting as they took more artistic control themselves.

Peter Tork played sort of the gormless role, people who ever saw or heard them probably remember Mickey Dolens or Mike Nesmith or Davy Jones before they  think of Peter but he was all a part of the whole.

RIP.

Cheers

7 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Michael Murphy - One of Anita Cobby's murderers - dead at 65. Good riddance.

I just read about that. I was already living in QLD then, but still quite freaked out by the news of her slaughter. Do they still do unmarked graves I wonder ? Murphy's deserves to be lost that's for sure

Marilyn Munster died

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Owen

Yes, aka Beverley Owen. I honestly cannot recall ever seeing her in anything else but then again she had the role because she looked like the quintessential blonde bimbo so she could well have been in a lot of things 🙂

I'm by no means a big television watcher but my family loved that show and it was a scriptwriter stroke of genius to have a normal looking girl in the family as a foil to ersatz Frankenstein, Dracula etc. It came along around the same time as the Addams Family I guess, both very humorous shows poking fun at the horror genre.

RIP, enjoyed your show.

Cheers