John Young has died :(

The quiet achiever of NASA but an amazing man:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/06/astronaut-john-young-who-walked-moon-dies-87/1010245001/

Cheers

He went there twice, and was the first to fly the shuttle, a legend in the flying community.

Cheers

*** Wait for conspiracy theorists to appear to refute people got to the moon ***

RIP. I didn't realise he'd flown on Gemini. A huge accomplishment, twice to the moon and on the first space shuttle as well.

RIP. I didn't realise he'd flown on Gemini. A huge accomplishment, twice to the moon and on the first space shuttle as well.

Yeah with Gus Grissom, the only programme he missed out on was Mercury, I assume he was still in the navy then.

I know everyone says I know everybody but I did meet him in Washington years ago, very unassuming man, RIP indeed.

Cheers

RIP Ray and thanks for the amazing music. I still occasionally listen to "On the Threshold of a Dream".

Most of the musical version of War of the Worlds, also.

whoa ! i never realised that was the same person....

and the cast of wotw is pretty "big" for the times too :

nights in white satin is such a memorable song for the era too

:(

edit : hooray ! vimeo links are thumbnails now... that's great :D

Edited by scruffy1

Lead singer of cranberies Delores gone, unexplained cause

I'd not heard from her since Zombie, but still....46? Sheeeit - that's just not right.

Pretty sad - very talented, they're a regular on my playlist. By the sounds of it they were going to getting back together to produce some new material.

To try and give a chuckle among all this bad news;

Have you ever considered what the sheet music would look like for the lead singer?

Imagine if a cover band's singer hadn't heard it.

Same goes for 4 Non Blondes - What's Up.

Just hand them the music, and wait for the "Hold on, How many octaves?"

To try and give a chuckle among all this bad news;

Have you ever considered what the sheet music would look like for the lead singer?

Imagine if a cover band's singer hadn't heard it.

Probably pretty weird I would think.

Same goes for 4 Non Blondes - What's Up.

Just hand them the music, and wait for the "Hold on, How many octaves?"

Speaking of which, one of my fav versions of this song is a got talent cover (Spain I think).

Rather good IMO.

• Like 1

according to the smh : Rugby league 'Immortal' Graeme Langlands dead

i don't have a lot of faith in the intelligence of rugby league fans, but i'm not sure they understand the requirements for immortality, although the use of quotation marks by the journalist appears to have some consideration

i don't even know the deceased (famous as he seems to be), but the headline made me have a chuckle at the dark irony of his title

He was participant in the last half of St George's 11 in a row in the 50s-60s. He retired around 1976 so wouldn't be known to many outside the RL world.

not a huge sci fi fan, but she was rather special for lots of good reasons

I think her biggest hit was Earthsea, and that is pure Fantasy - the power of names, magic, and holding court with dragons kind.

maybe, but the left hand of darkness was her claim to fame when i heard of her first, and i guess that placed her in that genre in my recollection

Billy Graham aged 99, from natural causes.

Christian evangelist most famous for setting the MCG attendence record of 130,000 in 1959.

as one of my mailing list "believers" just posted

This famous quote from Billy Graham sums up his perspective on eternity: “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."