I just heard that.

He changed the face of motorsport in this country, probably even more than Brockie, even his tyres are good, and good value.

RIP Bob, and thanks.

RIP Bob.  His best personal performances on the track were probably before I was born but he did a lot for motorsport from the 70s onwards and of course was successful in business as well.

Didn't he actually sponsor Bathurst for a while, not sure it was a while ago.

Apparently his best performances were more on Philip  Island than the mountain bit he was a lifelong supporter of the sport.

Cheers

T-Marts did sponsor it for 3 years in the early 2000s.   He won the Armstrong 500 as it was called then 4 times, the last 2 were at Bathurst (it didn't become the 1000 until 1973)
Also had 4 touring car championship titles.

I don't think he died very rich - seems he was estranged from parts of his family and his son took over the business some time back and there was some legal battle surrounding him trying to return which he lost.  He went bankrupt a couple of years ago.

ron casey

last century's equivalent of any right wing shock jock you'd name

rest in peace, maybe

My condolences to the Symons family suffering the loss of their son and brother. Rest peacefully Samuel.

13 hours ago, Rybags said:

Recently - Ben Daglish from cancer at 52.  He did a lot of game music in the 80s/90s mainly on the C64 http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/10/sad-news-as-legendary-retro-gaming.html

Probably most famously, The Last Ninja

I couldn't help myself. I recorded and mixed this on my iphone, and I wish I could give a bit more time to sorting out the melodies. Also, I only have one length of flute with me right now, which limits my harmonic choices. In short, it is rough as, but I give you.... The Last Ninja on shakuhachi!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt92rz4mxah0dil/ninjaisshakuhassun.mp3?dl=0

Edited by komuso
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's pretty well done.  Maybe dub it to video from the gameplay and put it on YT.

By all means, please do, if you think it'll be appreciated. It's given a few of my mates a quiet laugh

Quentin - who came to fame in the 80s on Mike Willesee's current affairs show.
Didn't realise he did so much in life - acting and plenty of work in aid of fellow disabled people.
Asthma attack at age 43.

my dear mate andy, who was a big part of my life during most of university and early postgrad in adelaide until we moved to opposite sides of the continent for work

suddenly, at 60 years young (like me), in perth

i am sadly starting to rack up significant numbers of peers who have moved on past this realm; interestingly, only one person i came to befriend here in sydney since arriving in 1983 has died (not counting several patients who i also befriended but were for the most part a deal older than me, and attrition prunes their ranks quite regularly)

ian kiernan of clean up australia fame

the man that andrew constance knocked over as a choice so he could make a captain's call to christen a boat "ferry mcferryface" instead of after the public's preferred candidate

i hope the next state election cleans up nsw parliament, for a well deserved come-uppance

'The real Super Mario' dies aged 84

Mario Segale, the man after whom video game hero Super Mario was named, has died aged 84.

Mr Segale was a successful Italian-American property developer from the US state of Washington.

In the 1980s, he leased a warehouse to Nintendo of America who decided to name the star of their new video game after him.

Mr Segale joked to the Seattle Times in 1993 that he was "still waiting for my royalty cheques".

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46072339

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

seems like 84 is a sadly popular age for being gone

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/ted-mack-father-of-independents-dead-aged-84-20181106-p50eas.html

ted mack, independent member for the lower north shore, and my local and then federal member (moved through state and federal tiers after being the local mayor) until i moved to the beaches (and got stuck with the current booby prize, herr abbott), although peter macdonald in manly was good local independent too

he won every election he contested, consecutively, having come from a background of architecture - perhaps we need more people formally trained in meticulous attention to planning for stability and endurance

my favourite political representative in all the electorates i have inhabited, and a man of honour and integrity - something i can say about very few politicians :

"During his service across three spheres of government, Mr Mack maintained a principled stand against what he saw as political excess.

He timed his retirement from both state politics and federal politics so that he would not qualify for the generous parliamentary pensions that were then available to members. He also declined to accept a mayoral allowance while serving simultaneously on the council and as the local member."

rest easy, mr mack

you deserve it

Comicdom will be in mourning today, Stan Lee of Marvel fame has passed away at 95.

He gave the world some rather amazing creations and redefined the superhero.

A not bad write up on his life here:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/marvel-creator-stan-lee-dead-at-95/news-story/3a6473da0abb5b523972a16a69bf9384

RIP Stan, loved your stuff as a teen, many of my adult friends still buy and read comics in preference to most anything else and are always searching for those many rare issues.

Cheers

Geez, another one. Doug Rain ... better known as the voice of HAL 9000 is dead.

Of course, a premonition to the likes of Siri, Cortana and Google Now.

Edited by Jeruselem