Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

AMD RX Vega announcement.

I agree with the article. AMD need to do something to fix this. Smack distributors in the head... and cripple their cards for mining.

Us gamers cant compete with miners when it comes to price. If Vegas are priced more than the Nvidia, it's counter to what amd want.

So stick with your NVidia gtx ... unless you want bitcoins

Or unless you're a diehard fanboy or you only play Dirt 4.

Whatever happens.. this product will make AMD money. They're still in a desperate situation but have scratched together some good products. They really need to keep momentum going before they can see themselves in a comfortable position. The market needs a competitive AMD.

At least miners don't want Workstation GPUs, they are too expensive.

I think AMD should identify cards through drivers and purposely cripple them for mining.

I think AMD should identify cards through drivers and purposely cripple them for mining.

Bad, BAD idea. This the same slope as censorship is on. Worse: you're saying you're ok with the thing dialing hom to report how it's being used, and the mfg sending a kill code.

Bad, BAD idea. This the same slope as censorship is on. Worse: you're saying you're ok with the thing dialing hom to report how it's being used, and the mfg sending a kill code.

It's bad idea indeed. Maybe there should be cards for gamers and miners as seperate product, and they charge more the miner card.

Oh I'm not talking about it reporting home for anything. Just cripple all the cards for mining through the drivers... except on workstation cards.

Oh I'm not talking about it reporting home for anything. Just cripple all the cards for mining through the drivers... except on workstation cards.

And how exactly do you propose to do that, pray? The reason graphics processors are awesome for mining is also the reason they're good at graphics.

The only way you could arrange it is if the card was aware of what sw it was running and checked it against a list of 'bad' ones. And that would change pretty damned frequently as soon as any such monitoring was known about, so the blacklist would need to be pushed very frequently - or the card would have to dial home whenever it came across an unknown process.

And what happens if the mfg signs a deal with Publisher A for pots of money that 'accidentally' breaks everything from Publisher B, hmm?

No, that whole concept is a big steaming pile of "FUCK, NO!" and you should bury it under a bush right now.

And how exactly do you propose to do that, pray? The reason graphics processors are awesome for mining is also the reason they're good at graphics.

The only way you could arrange it is if the card was aware of what sw it was running and checked it against a list of 'bad' ones. And that would change pretty damned frequently as soon as any such monitoring was known about, so the blacklist would need to be pushed very frequently - or the card would have to dial home whenever it came across an unknown process.

And what happens if the mfg signs a deal with Publisher A for pots of money that 'accidentally' breaks everything from Publisher B, hmm?

No, that whole concept is a big steaming pile of "FUCK, NO!" and you should bury it under a bush right now.

Like I have any influence in this anyway

Well I sold my GTX 1070 for $4 more than what I paid for it (thanks miners). Bought the RX 56 and it was $18 more than what I sold the GTX 1070. Basically, Im doing another side upgrade so I can play with new stuff. RX 56 has been great even with crap drivers. Most things were about the same performance as my OC 1070 while running stock.

I decided to go ahead and flash the card as I was not able to get over 1500mhz on the core and the HBM2 ram didn't like anything over 800mhz. I used the air version bios of RX 64 not the liquid. It took without any issues. Now when I run turbo mode it clock around 1560mhz and the ram is 945mhz. I've been able to OC into the 1600mhz range but not sure its limits but know that 1700mhz is a no go. If I can figure out the limits, I might try to flash to the liquid version as it gives even more watts available but need to test for current heat and the fan profiles to keep it under 80c.

Really a neat card and cant believe I have an all AMD system again... Super happy about that!

• Like 1

must say im kinda envious i haven't had a amd system since opteron 170 with bh-5 & x1900xtx cf

hurry up and bench it :)

• Like 1

must say im kinda envious i haven't had a amd system since opteron 170 with bh-5 & x1900xtx cf

But that would have been an ATI card then, not AMD.

;)

Well I sold my GTX 1070 for $4 more than what I paid for it (thanks miners). Bought the RX 56 and it was $18 more than what I sold the GTX 1070. Basically, Im doing another side upgrade so I can play with new stuff. RX 56 has been great even with crap drivers. Most things were about the same performance as my OC 1070 while running stock.

I decided to go ahead and flash the card as I was not able to get over 1500mhz on the core and the HBM2 ram didn't like anything over 800mhz. I used the air version bios of RX 64 not the liquid. It took without any issues. Now when I run turbo mode it clock around 1560mhz and the ram is 945mhz. I've been able to OC into the 1600mhz range but not sure its limits but know that 1700mhz is a no go. If I can figure out the limits, I might try to flash to the liquid version as it gives even more watts available but need to test for current heat and the fan profiles to keep it under 80c.

Really a neat card and cant believe I have an all AMD system again... Super happy about that!

Good on you for supporting AMD.. but personally I would have stuck with the 1070, as it's quieter, cooler, and uses less power... my two cents.

• Like 1

But that would have been an ATI card then, not AMD.

;)

Good on you for supporting AMD.. but personally I would have stuck with the 1070, as it's quieter, cooler, and uses less power... my two cents.

Yea side grade with a slight boost but just to play with a new card, fresh warranty. Not really worried about the power as it probably only few extra $ a month.

Yea been a long time coming, use to only run AMD cpu till Sandy :)

Some quick results without any OC but with 64 bios, CPU @ 3.95ghz and should be able to bench it 200mhz more:

Turbo:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22104009

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22104178

Power Limit 50%: Not much difference, I need to find my meter to test power draw between modes. Probably online somewhere too.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22103820

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22103876

Below is a quick OC, Core around 1640mhz:

OC 4%, Stock RAM, PL 50%:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22104382

Edit: I think I can get more out of the core maybe even 1700, might have crashed before when I had OC the RAM.

1670mhz per wattman, pretty much flat line too with only a few mhz up or down in a 10mhz range:

OC 6%, Stock RAM, PL 50%:

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/22104497

Edit2: Nah, crashed the core at 8%. Sucks when my PC crashes because I have a few large spinners that are in raid1 that rebuild each time. Looks like its off to the RAM OC now, then an OC with both CPU/GPU maxed :)

Will do more test soon!

Edited by gamble

nice you smashed my timespy score and should be able to beat my 18k firestrike to

unplug the raid1 hdd while you tinker :)

as for power use overclocked its not a pretty picture i sure hope they have a solid vrm

21091414323l.jpg

Edited by Dasa

Probably should unplug the raid group!

Looking at my results is kinda confusing... Im not sure how but I did get over 18k, possibly balanced mode. I probably need to look at undervolting. Really not seeing huge improvement over 56 bios so far, there's some but not huge amounts. Will be playing around more soon. Possibly flash back later.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13587788

Edited by gamble