Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

AMD RX Vega announcement.

Yea need to mess with undervolting as others show great results. I have no clue on what or why my one score is 18.2k vs 17.8k in firestrike. I went to blame the cpu but the score is on the gpu side thats different. The clock on the 18k run is lower clocks than my OC clocks. Ive tried to run in balance mode but gives lower than my OC, reran several times too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RTG boss takes 'sabbatical', Lisa Su takes over RTG

Seems that Vega broke Raja:

RTG Team,

You haven't heard from me collectively in a while - a symptom not only of the whirlwind of launching Vega, but simply of the huge number of demands on my time since the formation of RTG. Looking back over this short period, it is an impressive view. We have delivered 6 straight quarters of double-digit growth in graphics, culminating in the launch of Vega and being back in high-performance. What we have done with Vega is unparalleled. We entered the high-end gaming, professional workstation and machine intelligence markets with Vega in a very short period of time. The demand for Vega (and Polaris!) is fantastic, and overall momentum for our graphics is strong.

Incredibly, we as AMD also managed to spectacularly re-enter the high-performance CPU segments this year. We are all exceptionally proud of Ryzen, Epyc and Threadripper. The computing world is not the same anymore and the whole world is cheering for AMD. Congratulations and thanks to those of you in RTG who helped see these products through. The market for high-performance computing is on an explosive growth trajectory driven by machine intelligence, visual cloud, blockchain and other exciting new workloads. Our vision of immersive and instinctive computing is within grasp. As we enter 2018, I will be shifting my focus more toward architecting and realizing this vision and rebalancing my operational responsibilities.

At the beginning of the year I warned that Vega would be hard. At the time, some folks didn't believe me. Now many of you understand what I said. Vega was indeed hard on many, and my sincere heartfelt thanks to all of you who endured the Vega journey with me. Vega was personally hard on me as well and I used up a lot of family credits during this journey. I have decided to take a time-off in Q4 to spend time with my family. I have been contemplating this for a while now and there was never a good time to do this. Lisa and I agreed that Q4 is better than 2018, before the next wave of product excitement. Lisa will be acting as the leader of RTG during by absence. My sincere thanks to Lisa and rest of AET for supporting me in this decision and agreeing to take on additional workload during my absence.

I am looking to start my time-off on Sept 25th and return in December. Thank you, all of you, for your unwavering focus, dedication and support over these past months, and for helping us to build something incredible. We are not done yet, and keep the momentum going!

Regards, Raja

Edited by SceptreCore

seems vega 64 has some hidden potential

in forza 7 its gone from a 20% lead over fury x to a 60% lead and is even 23% ahead of 1080ti at 1080p however oddly enough all the amd gpu fall behind at higher res which is a bit of a roll reversal

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-09/forza-7-benchmark/2/#diagramm-forza-7-1920-1080

A bit of a strange role reversal. I was going to post this after doing a little research into whether this is an AMD optimized title but then I lost interest. I suppose it must be as it's kind of made for console first and both of them use AMD graphics.

With the GTX 1070 ti launching soon, I wonder if it will bring Vega prices down some. Its strange because you can find 1080 for near what the launch price is for the 1070 ti.

vega could be a good option vs 1070\1080 at 1440p if they released models with improved cooling at the same price or less

especially for those that want a free sync monitor

vega could be a good option vs 1070\1080 at 1440p if they released models with improved cooling at the same price or less

especially for those that want a free sync monitor

Yeah it's pretty good at higher resolutions, and seems to be really good with DX12 titles. but the 1080 and 1080Ti are just... just unbeatable. But we'll have to see how we go as DX12 titles proliferate.

why?

rx570 falls behind the 1060 a little but otherwise there fairly close with the leader swapping at different res

with the exception of the 1080ti which is a monster

Nvidia CEO believes AMD has suffered a ‘great loss’ and Intel is playing GPU catch-up

“Yeah, there's a lot of news out there... first of all, Raja leaving AMD is a great loss for AMD, and it's a recognition by Intel probably that the GPU is just incredibly important now.

His somewhat rambling comment on the matter was: “And lastly, with respect to the chip that they [intel and AMD] built together, I think it goes without saying, now that the energy efficiency of Pascal GeForce and the Max-Q design technology and all of the software we have created has really set a new design point for the industry, it is now possible to build a state of the art gaming notebook with the most leading edge GeForce processors, and we want to deliver gaming experiences many times that of a console in 4K and have that be in a laptop that is 18mm thin.

So you get two games you might not want but the price is the bloated same.

Bitcoin is expanding too... so it's likely that we'll see graphics cards prices go up further.

I wish AMD and nVidia would create mining specific silicon to take the heat away from graphics cards.

Yes, just sell bitcoin gpus to them miners at 1000% markup and leave our gaming gpus alone.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1