Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

AMD RX Vega announcement.

There about as power hungry as my GTX480 which I tossed in along side the GTX1070 the other day to test as a physics card.

PCCaseGear is selling the top end RX590 at the same prices at the top end GTX1060. I guess that's not too bad but GTX580 seems much better value! Vega pricing is still a bit meh

Edited by Jeruselem

Well I hope all these rumors are true too... The pricing just throws me off on both navi and ryzen...  People might be disappointed if we have anything less than the leaks.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

With Navi, why did AMD keep the hopeless RX5xx series alive? I'm guessing because Navi is going be flipping overpriced ...

On 12/8/2018 at 1:18 AM, gamble said:

.... People might be disappointed if we have anything less than the leaks.

That might be the plan.

well... someone's plan

So we got the new Vega-based Radeon VII (Radeon 7), retail price $US 700. That's about $1000 AUD but we in Australia isn't not going be that cheap.

I was thinking of doing another side upgrade, just to tinker with the new card... I then was thinking I could sell a few games that come free with the vega VII to recoup some $$ but read that you have to have a AMD card installed for those to work.... So, if I sold a game or 2  to someone they would have to have an eligible gpu for it to work?  Or, maybe I could have it scan my system and then save the codes for selling?  Idk, maybe Im wrong but in the past I would sell the games I didn't want and made it much more cheaper...

Edited by gamble

Curio, if AMD make a 5nm GPU ... would they call it it Radeon V? Stupid naming scheme

7 is a lucky number for the Asians so it will sell well for that alone.

1 hour ago, Dasa said:

7 is a lucky number for the Asians so it will sell well for that alone.

In China it's 8.

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Curio, if AMD make a 5nm GPU ... would they call it it Radeon V? Stupid naming scheme

It's just something they're putting out to stay relevant in the graphics conversation until they can get something actually new out.

Calm down the AMD hate mate.. they're doing their best

It's because GCN has had its day. It's old tech now and keeping it competitive ramps up the power usage. If they had gone with standard GDDR memory... then it would have been too power hungry to bother with.

I'm still not sure if this Radeon 7 is a low binned part from their Instinct range or it was a stand alone product always meant for production.

HBM3 and HBM4 address the issues with HBM2 so a future GPU with HBM3/4 could be a real winner for AMD but it comes down to cost ... which is always problem with consumer level stuff

RGT on YouTube... who I do not credit with much, has "reported" that this card will only have 64 ROP's instead of the 128 it was thought to have had. They also say that AMD will lose money on every unit sold.

AMD is just using this as a placeholder to keep them in the conversation until they can produce something worthy. Reviewers will keep this in their benchmarking lists... so AMD will appear to be relevant. Not a bad marketing strategy.

Navi can't come soon enough though, even if it isn't a high-end card, if it can deliver awesome mid-range performance at a good price, then it will be a winner.

• Like 1