Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

AMD RX Vega announcement.

6 hours ago, Dasa said:

Bugger I purchased the F791 only to find it has problems with FreeSync flickers and that there is a newer model I didn't know about the J791 which apparently fixes this.

I don't know what setup reviewers have been using but changing from HDMI to DP got rid of my flicker. (which was present faintly on the desktop let alone what happened in game. It may not be the end of the world 🙂

Apparently using hdmi instead of dp may help this monitor but at least for now nvidia only supports freesync over dp I think.

It may just be a driver problem as far cry 5 is okay provided fps stay over 57 but civ vi is terrible even around 90fps not that it's a game that really needs freesync

I was seriously considering this despite the high chance of getting stung a 15% restocking fee but after trying a bunch of games today that worked great I think I will stick with it.

It's kinda weird the blacks are so much darker than the IPS but what were dark parts of games where it was hard to see are now rather bright with this display, I have tried playing with brightness and contrast and although I can darken it a bit it is at the expense of the color and vibrancy of the display.
Not really a criticism just something a bit different that I didn't expect although it seems a bit weird walking past someone in metro 2033 when you can see everything in clear detail yet somehow they cant see you.

10 hours ago, Dasa said:

I was seriously considering this despite the high chance of getting stung a 15% restocking fee but after trying a bunch of games today that worked great I think I will stick with it.

It's kinda weird the blacks are so much darker than the IPS but what were dark parts of games where it was hard to see are now rather bright with this display, I have tried playing with brightness and contrast and although I can darken it a bit it is at the expense of the color and vibrancy of the display.
Not really a criticism just something a bit different that I didn't expect although it seems a bit weird walking past someone in metro 2033 when you can see everything in clear detail yet somehow they cant see you.

I found the VA needed a lot of tweaking to get it looking right to my IPS trained eyes. I wouldn't mind doing a proper calibration of it. I don't know how those things deal with curved screens though. 

Also, user reviews are so bad with higher end stuff. The things people think they see because they are being super critical and looking closer than you ever would actually playing are amazing. Then they write a review bagging out that thing. I've found the same thing trying to buy headphones (although they're even worse as people's preference differ so much). 

Edited by fliptopia
  • Like 1

Tried using my calibrator apparently the screen was around 330 nit brightness with it set to 75% and the red was a little strong so I have turned it down to 120 nit 11% and toned down the red a little but otherwise it was very well calibrated and turning down the brightness hasn't made a huge difference to areas that should look dark but they are a bit better and bright areas are not so blinding, It is a bit duller in color but still looks great.

The old dell u2713 was running around 110 nit at ~20% but turning it down didn't really hurt the vibrancy as much, If anything the old IPS was a bit to dark in places you couldn't see anything without a torch\flashlight.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1