Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

GPU suggestions for 1080p TV

A friend is looking at building a desktop gaming box to replace his laptop for those duties, but due to the nature of his apartment and limited space, is happy to use his TV as a monitor.

Is it worth spending extra for a 1070? Is a 1060 likely to last a few years at that res?

I've been gaming 1080 with current GTX960, previous to that R7-360 and HD5850 though not really heavily into the latest demanding releases. The latter 2 tending to show weakness somewhat readily.

My feeling is a 1060 would be mostly fine, and given the depreciation of graphics cards it's sort of pointless doing capacity planning beyond 12 months.

In fact the last time I bought a brand new card was way back - 9800GT. If you can stand being a bit behind the times, IMO a used midrange that's a generation or 2 old is an easy way to save money.

Oh, wow, yeah, ~$300 vs ~$600.

What I've seen of the new AMD stuff is that it's better at much higher res, but also won't be around at sane prices until next year, so that kind of wait is out.

Also forgot to mention that... it does seem that with the more modern cards that resolution increases doesn't create the same vast gulf in framerates that it used to. So, if a game works well in plain old 1440x900 it'll probably not suffer too badly going to 1080.

Oh, wow, yeah, ~$300 vs ~$600.

What I've seen of the new AMD stuff is that it's better at much higher res, but also won't be around at sane prices until next year, so that kind of wait is out.

Your friend will be able to get early access to an AMD RX Vega card if he wants to buy a Ryzen CPU and Mobo too in a combo. (See the RX Vega Announcement thread for details)

What games is he going to be playing...? That's important to know.

1060 is fine, so long as you splurge for the 6GB model, not the 3GB.

There is a lot more you lose out on than simply a single unsoldered DIMM of memory when you sacrifice that.

It also depend what he calls gaming.

Staying on top of the latest FPS or racing sim, is a lot harder than staying on top of the latest MOBA or Strategy game.

MMO's while demanding, are at least usually highly scalable.

If your friend is sticking to 1080p resolution for the forseeable future, I can agree completely with Master_Scythe

An aftermarket 1060-6GB would be fantastic, and last well into the future