scruffy1

when will the war start ?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-general-would-resist-donald-trump-nuclear-strike-order-20171119-gzodp0.html

Interesting, a US general can stop a US nuke on NK if Trump wants to shoot one.

My current boss is ex US military.

This isn't surprising news,

No matter how much we're "convinced" the president is in charge, there is NOT a little red button, there are a lot of people involved in launching a nuke.

Basic missles or deploying troops, less so, but nukes are (apparently) much harder.

.....Which is a good thing.

Yeah, the nuclear protocols in the U.S. at least are pretty well refined, their biggest fear is a nutcase (Trump ?) ever have sole launch authority.

Cheers

Kim likes firing missiles into water ... it's hard to miss

:)

He'd find it hard to miss America as well - just what part, different story.

I've said it before but worth repeating, between NK and the US there are currently three (they say two, but it's three) THAAD kinetic ABM intercept systems and typically three US ships equipped with Standard missiles which have an ABM capability. Kim's chances of getting through approach zero but if he ever tries then he is signing his death warrant, with two Ohio SLBMs around retaliation would be swift and brutal.

What I'm waiting for is for one of his missiles to fail on the pad or launch vehicle. It happens to everyone from time to time in the early days especially. Missiles are finicky creatures.

Cheers

The worrying thing though is that so far they've been amazingly successful.

Though that said, they might have had 2 blow up on the launch pad for each one that worked and we just haven't been told about it.

I think that is the more likely scenario Ry, I was recently reading a semi-classified document that mentioned NK keep very careful tabs on satellite over-flights and only launch with a satellite overhead when they have a very high probability of success.

You only get that by hiding your mistakes.

The US has never really hidden their disasters as this shows:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=atlas+missile+launch+pad+explosion&&view=detail&mid=E6E7C30EA087F2373454E6E7C30EA087F2373454&rvsmid=52458C81AEA2F23F57AB52458C81AEA2F23F57AB&FORM=VDQVAP

Let it play on and you'll see a couple of Titan's blowing up as well.

Bear in mind ATLAS was what John Glenn rode on the first orbital flight when it was less than reliable and Titan was the mainstay of the astronaut programme for years and you have to wonder a bit about astronauts...

The US' most reliable land based missile is the solid fueled Minuteman but it has never been used that I am aware of for manned flight.

There is a reasonable supposition that NK, probably via China has learned from that because these missiles of theirs are apparently solid fuel. It doesn't even imply espionage to much of a degree, Minuteman has been around a long time, a lot of detail about it is available in the public domain. That does not however include the guidance systems, those they hold very close to their chests.

Cheers

... you have to wonder a bit about astronauts...

"Spam in a can, man." - Chuck Yeager, about astronauts' situation and why he wasn't going.

... you have to wonder a bit about astronauts...

"Spam in a can, man." - Chuck Yeager, about astronauts' situation and why he wasn't going.

:)

Indeed Cybes, Chuck could have qualified as an astronaut if he had stayed with the X programme but he preferred fighters.

Cheers

Is it though? I mean, unless they're LITERALLY lobbing them over the fence, a predictable, reliable flight path I can only imagine is significantly easier to remove from the sky then a little kids bottle rocket flight path?

Is it though? I mean, unless they're LITERALLY lobbing them over the fence, a predictable, reliable flight path I can only imagine is significantly easier to remove from the sky then a little kids bottle rocket flight path?

Yes and no, they claim a MIRV capability so you need to knock one down before they get into a position where they can independently target or you do have a serious problem.

Cheers