Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

Too Many Damn Lakes! Intel's coming CPU's

8 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Sunny Cove is supposed to increase the IPC too, over the current SkyLake variants we have.

Yeah they're separating the core code names from the product code names. This is Ice Lake. Zen 2 is meant to go head to head with this, but may likely be released first.

It's clear Intel are meeting ARM head on with full-desktop CPUs to counter desktop-grade ARMs.

I wouldn't call ARM desktop grade, not yet, but they could definitely take over the mobile market if left unchallenged. The foveros chip seems interesting, but we haven't seen it perform yet. 

Need to see how 10nm Atoms running complex instructions sets go versus ARM's reduced instruction sets, and how the power draw goes.

18 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

I wouldn't call ARM desktop grade, not yet, but they could definitely take over the mobile market if left unchallenged. The foveros chip seems interesting, but we haven't seen it perform yet. 

Need to see how 10nm Atoms running complex instructions sets go versus ARM's reduced instruction sets, and how the power draw goes.

ARM have the 8CX which is a desktop ARM, it's clear ARM want to get the desktop market well at the lower end for now

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/06/qualcomm-snapdragon-8cx-pc-arm-extreme/

Yeah it talks about "PC" but laptops are also technically PC's... but they won't go beyond the low to mid range of performing laptops. The article talks about laptops the snapdragon's quick charge capabilities, yada yada

Intels new F chips will be the same price as those with the igpu.  Thought they will be a few bucks cheaper. 

Scaling up an ARM to compete with x86/x64 causes a problem, you're adding just heaps more cache to the chip! Which means the chip gets bigger ... and hotter ... and uses more power. So Intel have contend with ARM trying to steal the low end CPU market, and then they have AMD finally shipping competitive products. The best ARM CPU is the Apple A12, but I doubt that's gonna appear in any non Apple products.

Interesting that they're going for the low power versions of higher powered CPUs. I have low powered i3 and i5 CPUs here but I dont see the point with i9s unless you can switch to low power mode.