Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
SceptreCore

Chinese market phones.. are these a bargain?

Isn't unlocking the bootloader a relatively simple thing to do, yourself? Even if it means wiping the phone?

No, unfortunately.

Since the bootloader is effectively the BIOS of the ROM, its handled a little differently.

In PC terms, think of it as trying to flash some firmware, by formatting your hard drive.

And when you DO eventually flash that firmware, if you've picked one that doesn't quite know how to talk to the controller, then it's a brick.

That's what I'm concerned about, bricking $500. I'm also concerned that the Honor V9 doesn't cover all the 4G bands used by Telstra.

Yeah when there's a good range of Chinese phones available locally (notably the OPPO series, and a few Huawei); I wouldn't gamble $500.

but if it was the sort of decision a lot of people make "iPhone or China Phone X" well, you can afford to brick it thrice before you cover the cost

Yeah when there's a good range of Chinese phones available locally (notably the OPPO series, and a few Huawei); I wouldn't gamble $500.

but if it was the sort of decision a lot of people make "iPhone or China Phone X" well, you can afford to brick it thrice before you cover the cost

If I had a disposable income I'd probably be doing it as a service (provided it were legal of course)

In the USA, user modifying the firmware on a phone was technically illegal but I think that's changed now. Apple opposed that but anyway.

It's just really annoying that Huawei offer such a budget powerhouse of a phone... and not in Australia... ugh.

First world problems!

In the USA, user modifying the firmware on a phone was technically illegal but I think that's changed now. Apple opposed that but anyway.

It's just really annoying that Huawei offer such a budget powerhouse of a phone... and not in Australia... ugh.

First world problems!

Yes we get the "budget" Huaweis but not the ones we want.

• Like 1

For chinese market Phone, I heard my friend that xiaomi is good for strong pin. They can use it for a weed, and don't need to worry about pin anymore. Do you know this phone? It's 5 years old in Aliexpress. I think this phone can be good. Although its camera is not good enough.

The amount of phone you get for your dollar right now is ridiculous.

I lost my iPhone 7 Plus in a car-related incident, so had to pick up something cheap to tide me over til my contract finishes.

I've ended up with a Nokia 3, $149 network-locked from Vodafone.

Cameras are "only" 8MP, but the front and back cameras are the same, and Nokia don't use EMUI/Sense/etc, the included launcher is the Pixel launcher. The only carrier-loaded software is the My Vodafone app, and I'm free to uninstall it.

The amount of phone you get for your dollar right now is ridiculous.

I lost my iPhone 7 Plus in a car-related incident, so had to pick up something cheap to tide me over til my contract finishes.

I've ended up with a Nokia 3, $149 network-locked from Vodafone.

Cameras are "only" 8MP, but the front and back cameras are the same, and Nokia don't use EMUI/Sense/etc, the included launcher is the Pixel launcher. The only carrier-loaded software is the My Vodafone app, and I'm free to uninstall it.

Vodafone don't seem to totally fuck up their phones with a lot of crapware. Optus and Telstra, yes especially Telstra!

I'm waiting for the successor fo the Nokia 8.

Edited by Jeruselem

Annoyingly a lot of them even change the startup logo animation, not that you see it more than once a month or whatever.

I don't see the point spending lots on a phone given that OS support often lasts barely 2 years. Though on my 3rd Android phone now, with about 3 years + 2 years on the previous ones.

Annoyingly a lot of them even change the startup logo animation, not that you see it more than once a month or whatever.

I don't see the point spending lots on a phone given that OS support often lasts barely 2 years. Though on my 3rd Android phone now, with about 3 years + 2 years on the previous ones.

I'm still using my Nokia 830 and yes Microsoft still give me updates on Windows 10 mobile.

I considered a Windoze phone but lack of apps/games vs Android plus the fact Metro looks like a turd turned me off.

I considered a Windoze phone but lack of apps/games vs Android plus the fact Metro looks like a turd turned me off.

I like Metro, it's more friendly for me because Android and iOS icons can be freaking small. I don't have small fingers like some.

Edited by Jeruselem

For chinese phone, recently Xiaomi released the xiaomi redmi 5A, anyone here has owned it? because I consider to buy it, but i don't like Chinese brand so much.

If someone used this phone or bought it, then can you show some strong point for it? Thanks.

For chinese phone, recently Xiaomi released the xiaomi redmi 5A, anyone here has owned it? because I consider to buy it, but i don't like Chinese brand so much.

If someone used this phone or bought it, then can you show some strong point for it? Thanks.

That phone looks like it would be a good candidate for my use case. Nice big 3000mah battery, and a 'low end' (meaning, low power use) CPU, that is fast enough to do at least one major task at once.

Considering I use a phone for Communication (messages, phone calls, forums, etc) and I don't use things like snapchat with complex filters, photo editing, or anything like that, i'm sure I'd be able to use it without ever feeling any lag.

While no one I know has that specific phone, two mates have Xiaomi phones.

One has a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, and the other, a Note 4.

In all honesty, we can't fault them.

They're quick, they're stable, they take great photos, the IPS screen has good angles and coulors... I mean, it's an Android Phone, it can do everything you expect of it.

They were very 'anti china phones' for a while, but after using one, $200 vs $1500 for a 'samsung'? It was a pretty easy choice.

About the only thing the media likes to mention is that china phones can have spyware on them;

however (I work with a Chinese Colleague) and he was explaining Xiaomi, like Huawei are relying on going Global to expand their business.

After seeing how badly the brand OnePlus got attacked from their OWN spyware (not even 3rd party!) it'd be a nightmare to the company to risk that sort of underhanded trick.

Since the OnePLUS fiasco, everyone has been packet capturing their phones like mad, and no major leaks have been found in those china phones (yet).

If you're worried, just be sure to flash the OFFICAL rom to the phone the second you get it, and I'd rest easy :)

Xiaomi does some really neat stuff, especially if you go into the Mi Home type products also.

And, really, as Australians (I know you're not) for us, we don't care if China spies on us much :P

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

I've seen those on Amazon, and applies to tablets. I think the big brands wouldn't do it because of the past scandals.

That phone looks like it would be a good candidate for my use case. Nice big 3000mah battery, and a 'low end' (meaning, low power use) CPU, that is fast enough to do at least one major task at once.

Considering I use a phone for Communication (messages, phone calls, forums, etc) and I don't use things like snapchat with complex filters, photo editing, or anything like that, i'm sure I'd be able to use it without ever feeling any lag.

They're quick, they're stable, they take great photos, the IPS screen has good angles and coulors... I mean, it's an Android Phone, it can do everything you expect of it.

They were very 'anti china phones' for a while, but after using one, $200 vs $1500 for a 'samsung'? It was a pretty easy choice.

About the only thing the media likes to mention is that china phones can have spyware on them;

however (I work with a Chinese Colleague) and he was explaining Xiaomi, like Huawei are relying on going Global to expand their business.

After seeing how badly the brand OnePlus got attacked from their OWN spyware (not even 3rd party!) it'd be a nightmare to the company to risk that sort of underhanded trick.

Since the OnePLUS fiasco, everyone has been packet capturing their phones like mad, and no major leaks have been found in those china phones (yet).

If you're worried, just be sure to flash the OFFICAL rom to the phone the second you get it, and I'd rest easy :)

Xiaomi does some really neat stuff, especially if you go into the Mi Home type products also.

And, really, as Australians (I know you're not) for us, we don't care if China spies on us much :P

Thanks. As a vietnamese, Chinese isn't always a good neighbor.But as you said, for Xiaomi I trust on them.

I decided to buy this one.

Edited by littlejacket92

Thanks. As a vietnamese, Chinese isn't always a good neighbor.But as you said, for Xiaomi I trust on them.

I decided to buy this one.

It's always interesting when you hear about certain countries hating certain other countries.

It seems common in Asian countries.

In Australia, we have some individual people who dislike certain races, however there's no such thing as "Australia doesn't like X country"

But, yes, Xiaomi doesn't know who's going to buy their phone, so they're not going to go "Vietnamese?! MAKE IT CRAP!" lol

Big company, so hopefully, no problems :)

btw, I'm glad you ended up being a real user and not a spammer, it's always nice to have international members, you learn new things and get new perspectives :)

• Like 1

Ryan has just got himself an Oppo phone (which I'd never really heard of before).

Any hints?

Chinese brand, One of the biggest sellers in Germany (they have actual OPPO stores).

My father has one too, A++