SceptreCore

Chinese market phones.. are these a bargain?

Australia is a bit backward, looks like pretty much iPhone and Samsung as the focus with some Oppos, Huaweis, Nokias as well as crappo Telco branded phones.

If I had to go a "Known Brand" these days, It'd be the new NOKIAs.

I've seen them in person, and they feel amazing, are about half the price of any other one, and just simply, looked more vibrant and snappy (vanilla android!) than any of the other competitors.

I think they don't have those weirdass skins Asians tend to install on Asian phones too.

I think they don't have those weirdass skins Asians tend to install on Asian phones too.

Yeah was all totally vanilla, software, hardware, just... exactly what it says on the box.

And the fact that I can go somewhere expensive, but big chain (like Harvey Norman) and get one for $600, is only 1/3rd the price of the 'big boys'.

and STILL HAS A MICRO SD SLOT! :D

Only downside is no USB-C, but hey, I'll live.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Yeah was all totally vanilla, software, hardware, just... exactly what it says on the box.

And the fact that I can go somewhere expensive, but big chain (like Harvey Norman) and get one for $600, is only 1/3rd the price of the 'big boys'.

and STILL HAS A MICRO SD SLOT! :D

Only downside is no USB-C, but hey, I'll live.

USB C would be nice hey

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

I've seen those on Amazon, and applies to tablets. I think the big brands wouldn't do it because of the past scandals.

Are you talking about Amazon's own, branded, Fire devices?

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

I've seen those on Amazon, and applies to tablets. I think the big brands wouldn't do it because of the past scandals.

Are you talking about Amazon's own, branded, Fire devices?

Not specifically. I've seen cheap phones and tablets on Amazon where one of the conditions of purchase is you are subjected to ads in return for the low price. This is at the real low end of the market.

I don't own an Amazon devices but I'm sure they'll be sneaking their own adware onto their own devices.

'Sneaking their own adware onto their own devices'

It's not sneaking if your devices run a fork of android tailored to both using a separate software store than Play, and running ads on lock screens and etc through your own ad network.

'Sneaking their own adware onto their own devices'

It's not sneaking if your devices run a fork of android tailored to both using a separate software store than Play, and running ads on lock screens and etc through your own ad network.

Yes, forcing you to use fake stores instead of Google one ... very Chinese

Posted (edited)

I think Honor Is Sub brand Of Huawei.

My current phone is a Telstra ZTE 4GX Buzz its a Prepay account.

Not a bad phone quite robust been used in rain and dropped a few times

it soldiers on like a champion .

4.5 inch screen Quad 1.2 gig 5 megapixel camera cost about 90 ish bucks.

Been looking at Huawei Y7 prime 2017.

For me the 4,000 MAHh battery, is a key feature.

Its a significant step up in capability and price is just within what I would spend

$249 ish .

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_y7_prime-8632.php

Been Looking at Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime as well they are similar in many ways Including price.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7_prime-reviews-8314.php

For now will unlock my old phone while I keep checking out phones between $240 to $300 .

Edited by Waltish

I don't trust them, but that is because I develop IP and like to write code snippets and read emails on my phone.

Since Huawei sold dodgy network infrastructure to British Telecom (which is why they got banned from the NBN roll-out), I have tried to steer clear of them. It is important to remember that no matter how independent these companies say they are, they are still controlled by the Chinese Communist Party. This is fine if you are not doing anything security-sensitive, political or commercially confidential on the device (or any other device networked with it). But if you are developing IP or work for the Government, my advice is to stay away from anything from a Chinese company and spend the extra money on something that is not likely to be backdoored or vulnerable to attack. In such a case, go for something made in one of the Five Eyes countries, Japan, the EU or South Korea. Whilst nothing is 100% perfect security-wise, stuff from these places is more likely to be designed with basic security standards in mind and is less likely to have sneaky backdoors to a potentially adversarial government that is known for stealing IP and confidential info.

Otherwise, for purely personal/non-sensitive use, my experience with Chinese smartphones has been hit-and-miss. I have had a couple of cheapo Huaweis that have done the job and been reasonably stable, but that was years ago before I got into cybersecurity (I cannot comment on their more recent products). I have also had a ZTE (which was a shocker as it was totally unstable and kept getting really hot and crashing for no apparent reason) as well as some dodgy no-name Wish tablets that my mate and I got for shits and giggles because they were cheap and looked nasty.

The Wish tablets were a case of "be careful what you Wish for" - they more than lived up to our expectations of how awful they would be. They came with USB debugging already enabled, had less RAM than they reported to Android's GUI, featured an Android application monitor that did not change no matter what apps were running (rootkit much?) and I was able to launch a root shell on them by running a terminal emulator and creating a buffer overflow using a program I wrote in C specifically for that purpose.

Translation: They were dodgy as all hell and there is no way I would ever use my real name or log into an account I care about on them - I have even considered writing my Masters thesis on how crappy they are from a security perspective.

The moral of the story is that whether you go for one of these cheap Chinese brands that hasn't been around for long depends on your appetite for risk and your use case. If you want a device that's reliable and secure, spend the extra money. But if you just want to play Candy Crush, watch YouTube and don't care if your phone shits itself occasionally, go ahead.