SceptreCore

Chinese market phones.. are these a bargain?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dasa said:

Looks like to get everything I want with Telstra\Optus rural reception approval I am looking at ~$550 for Samsung S8\+ and $50 for otterbox defender.

Obviously there is other phones out there with good reception that they are not selling and thus haven't tested but it is hard to know which.

fliptopia

Thanks that is a whopper of a battery in a budget phone but looks like it is also lacking b28

There are 2 versions that don't but the global version is supposed to have it. The booklet that comes with mine lists it as being present. 

But the s8 is of course a much more capable phone. Not to mention things like NFC. 

Edited by fliptopia

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 3:08 PM, Master_Scythe said:

Funny enough, China phones (if you get B28) almost always do better reception than Australian or US models, due to their blatant disregard for radiation laws.
If I needed a phone to survive anything I'd still be looking at Nokia; at last check, they STILL go through the nokia stress test (drop, sand, humidity, etc).

The chance of increased radiation is probably enough for me to scrap the idea of a cheap china phone.
Sister is talking me into Sony even though I am not a fan of the brand the XZ looks like good value for under $400 from Kogan or the premium can be had from a decent seller on ebay for a similar price..

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dasa said:

Sister is talking me into Sony

Not if you want battery life.
Most tests fare it well in standby and talk; but screen on and radios traditionally melt the capacity quickly.

I'm sure they've improved since last generation; but any brand is unlikely (and reviews confirm) to jump from 'worst flagship battery life' to 'best' in 1 gen.

As for radiation; our phones are already only tested at X cm away from head, or on handsfree.
More radiation in the phone itself isn't my concern at all. Wont hurt me on bluetooth, and wont hurt me with my headphones in.

Any call more than 1 minute gets headphones; as should everyone if they're RF concerned.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Repaired a old Sony Z3 mini we had with a cracked screen as there was already a screen there ready to be installed but that only lasted a few months till I leaned on something and cracked the screen after already shattering the rear panel in my pocket a few weeks earlier despite being in a fairly solid cover.

Now using a CAT S31 it is a little sluggish at times (can take a few seconds for text to appear after opening maps and typing) and I found it had a tendency to pocket dial but have found a app (Pocket lock) which seems to be working well as the moment I bump the button in my pocket while climbing around machinery the app detects it is in my pocket and locks it again.

Had some problems with the camera and GPS not always working at first requiring a restart but I think that was due to me saying no to google permissions a few times once I gave in and said yes everything started working.

As for radiation we are in a bit of a Bermuda triangle on the fringe between three cell towers so the phone is constantly scanning and swapping while running full power to try maintain a connection which drains the battery and is probably none to healthy for us ether.

Edited by Dasa

New Huawei phones might not have access to Google services due to the USA ban. So you might end up having to use the shifty Huawei apps stores.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, Jeruselem said:

New Huawei phones might not have access to Google services due to the USA ban. So you might end up having to use the shifty Huawei apps stores.

Sounds like they might not even have Android. I wonder how they're going to survive outside China. 

15 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Sounds like they might not even have Android. I wonder how they're going to survive outside China. 

They have a new OS "Harmony OS" ready. Which means your stuck using chinese servers for stuff.

40 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

They have a new OS "Harmony OS" ready. Which means your stuck using chinese servers for stuff.

That's what I mean. If Microsoft phones failed on apps then how is Harmony OS going to compete in a meaningful way in Western markets. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, fliptopia said:

That's what I mean. If Microsoft phones failed on apps then how is Harmony OS going to compete in a meaningful way in Western markets

The same way that jailbreak app store used to compete on iOS.

They'll just pirate the apps you want, and offer them free\cheaper.

If you've followed their progress at all in the last few years (Harmony, or OAK OS, is it was) isn't actually brand new, and it's still built on the Android open source binaries.

Basically, any app that will run on an AOSP rom, without gapps, will run on Harmony.

And I only give it a matter of months, at most, before someone as big as Huawei manage to emulate play services so the apps don't notice.

With the size of China, and India.

Their huge impact on the mobile economy.

And the size of Huawei?

I think google is starting to get a little too comfortable encouraging competitors of that size and influence to make an OS.

Time will tell; I'm genuinely curious.

Edited by Master_Scythe

New lot of Huawei phones in Australia will run Android but no Google apps including Google Store.