Mac Dude

Same-sex postal survey is a go

...they arent fooling anyone with this shit. they are placating a minority of bigots and pandering to an even smaller minority of ultra conservative faithful — and everyone knows it.

Agreed. I didn't say it would work, I said it was their goal. Look at the NBN; do you think these guys know how to see past the tip of their noses? ;p

...they arent fooling anyone with this shit. they are placating a minority of bigots and pandering to an even smaller minority of ultra conservative faithful — and everyone knows it.

Agreed. I didn't say it would work, I said it was their goal. Look at the NBN; do you think these guys know how to see past the tip of their noses? ;p

I see the postal survey and the NBN as two completely different types of stuff ups of completely different magnitudes. :)

The survey is all about the balance of power inside the liberal party and how the 'small l' liberals can get SSM through their own party. And while $120 mill is a lot of money, it's not really when you look at the 'income' of Australia.

The NBN, was all about having a different approach to Rudd coming up to election time. Nobody in their right mind would choose the current solution, but the Libs obviously believed they needed to differentiate their approach. Well they did that. What makes the NBN decision much much much worse is the size of the investment and the long term impact.

In the end you're right though, they are both stuffups.

I see the postal survey and the NBN as two completely different types of stuff ups of completely different magnitudes. :)

Yes,they're completely different in character, but my point was that they're both indicative of an inability to perceive consequences of their actions.

• Like 2

:)

After much stuffing around our NBN SEEMS stable, but if it had been FTTH we would never have had the issues we did.

Absolutely moronic way to go about building a new national network.

Cheers

Yes,they're completely different in character, but my point was that they're both indicative of an inability to perceive consequences of their actions.

Yeah, nah. :)

I don't think they realised how bad the NBN decision was/is but I don't think they care about the path to SSM they have taken. I'm guessing, but I think the 'small l' libs see the postal survey as the only way to get SSM through a finely balanced party room, while the 'big L' libs see it as a possible way to delay it.

Having said that, without being on the inside I'm only guessing...

• Like 1

Although ;) ... I happen to think there are people, within the pollie circle, who do perceive the possible consequences.... " we'll cross that bridge when we come to it " ... is likely an often used comment . - just not enough of them to over power is all.

The survey is all about the balance of power inside the liberal party and how the 'small l' liberals can get SSM through their own party.

this is something ive wondered about.

whether or not the social conservatives are being hustled into a gamble that cant end well for them, because Malcolm "this will be a thoroughly liberal [*wink*] government" Turnball and his cronies are taking advantage of what the old guard cant recognise about themselves; that they live in a bubble and their ability to take the temperature of the room (i.e. both the party room and the country at large) is slipping.

i do suspect there is a substantial core within the party amenable to placing pragmatism above conservative sympathies on this issue, because they know when to choose their battles, know this one is already lost, and yet the established rules of politicking demand their reluctant participation in a private bill as the only avenue for expressing it. but would doing so be cutting off their nose to spite their face?

• Like 1

i do suspect there is a substantial core within the party amenable to placing pragmatism above conservative sympathies on this issue, because they know when to choose their battles, know this one is already lost, and yet the established rules of politicking demand their reluctant participation in a private bill as the only avenue for expressing it. but would doing so be cutting off their nose to spite their face?

I actually want to believe that, even though it paints them to be even more slimy - at least Machiavellians are smart. But we're talking about Mr "Laws of Australia trump Laws of Mathematics" here. He might have a silver tongue, but he's a genuine fuckwit.

So Barny doesn't want people standing on street corners yelling in his face about the ssm bizness. Don't blame him for that, it's not at all nice to be preached to ;)

Meanwhile our erstwhile leader - who lurves to sip a beer and kiss a baby and cheer his team on, ( bet he'd be a wizz at rubbing his stomach and patting his head simultaneously too) - he's out there with the people marching and proclaiming his desire for ssm. I think, since the pollies didn't have the balls to go back and fix Howard's cavalier change to our law, nor indeed just sort it in Parliament, they should keep their bloody noses out of it until it actually comes time for them to re-write Howard's bullshit.

edit: Just saw a pic of the paper the ABS will start sending out from tomorrow. Anyone want to guess on the number of donkey votes that will happen due to both boxes being marked ?

Edited by eveln

edit: Just saw a pic of the paper the ABS will start sending out from tomorrow. Anyone want to guess on the number of donkey votes that will happen due to both boxes being marked ?

Less than 1% ?

Sure there will people who write messages on their survey, but I'm not sure there will be many who mark both boxes. Are 'donkey surveys' even a thing given it's not compulsory?

I'd guess that people who couldn't be bothered just won't bother.

Oh I reckon there'll be some who'll be tempted to bother to non-vote since they don't pay for the mailing of it . And I reckon there'll be interest at the ABS end of things to gauge the messed up ones too. But like with the whole idea not being compulsory and all it really won't be a true representation still ;)

• Like 1

If people were actually intent on discarding/destroying one vote or the other, wouldn't they just open the envelope?

Has anyone received their postal vote ballot yet ? Can you see through the envelope ? This article suggest shining a light on the envelope will allow a person to discern the vote ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-13/ssm-postal-survey-envelopes-reveal-responses-under-torch-light/8942876

Sharpie. If you're worried about it, just colour a rectangular part of the envelope where the boxes would shine through.

Does the reply paid envelope have the voter's details? They don't usually. It's a return address for undeliverable items and in the context of a government survey isn't needed.

It's not about the person Rybags it's apparently about uncouths looking to get rid of the wrong vote envelopes ... you know, to sway what already is a dubious collection of statistics

Also Cybes, we not supposed to mark anything other than the box we choose ;) otherwise the vote is I think considered null and void ;)

There was an image going around on twitter - that one, I believe - with someone saying he worked at AusPost and was going to get rid of all the no votes.

Which was unfortunate, because it's from an online shitstirrer and not an AusPost employee. It sure got people riled up, tho'.

• Like 1

There's next to no need for these things to pass through human hands once posted anyway... they have automated sorting and bulk recipients like this mean they can just mass bin them at an early stage of the process.

• Like 2

Listen ! ya know livin' out in the boonies our mail gets touched by human hands allll the time !

edit : Also, I linked to an ABC news article not tweetsville

Edited by eveln

Also Cybes, we not supposed to mark anything other than the box we choose ;) otherwise the vote is I think considered null and void ;)

The form itself, sure. I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that. If it bothers you anyway, there's nothing at all about enclosing extra paper - so put a blacked-out insert in with your ballot.

Frankly, I think you could use a rainbow glitter pen and stuff the envelop with pink-dyed feathers for all the difference it will make. This mob of useless 'tards is going to do exactly what they want anyway.

The form itself, sure. I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that. If it bothers you anyway, there's nothing at all about enclosing extra paper - so put a blacked-out insert in with your ballot.

Frankly, I think you could use a rainbow glitter pen and stuff the envelop with pink-dyed feathers for all the difference it will make. This mob of useless 'tards is going to do exactly what they want anyway.

I was being purposefully dense Cybes ;)

If a postal worker values their livelihood so little that they'd chuck votes out... then let them do it.

There was an incident years ago near me where they had a sewage blockage, turned out it was a bunch of christmas cards and envelopes flushed down the toilet.

They worked out who it was by planting mail - the guy was pulling letters he thought might have money enclosed and opening then throwing them out.

That sort of shit wouldn't be taken lightly - chances are anyone doing it might get given free rent, food and sex for a while.

• Like 1

edit : Also, I linked to an ABC news article not tweetsville

Yeah, which quoted reddit as their source.