Mac Dude

Same-sex postal survey is a go

edit : Also, I linked to an ABC news article not tweetsville

Yeah, which quoted reddit as their source.

So it did.

Also Cybes, we not supposed to mark anything other than the box we choose ;) otherwise the vote is I think considered null and void ;)

The form itself, sure. I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that.

Also, unless they're doing special snowflake rules for this vote, that's not correct. During an election when the volunteers count the vote they are looking for clear intent. In a ballot with 4 candidates, it is sufficient for you to number 1, 2 and 4. Given that there are only 4 candidates, the counter knows who you intended 3 to be, because you marked all the others, so there's only one possibility.

If there were 5 people on that ballot, it would become an informal vote, because there's no way for the counter to know who you would pick as 3, and who as 5.

So when it comes to marking your ballot to hide it from being observed by third parties, by standard AEC practice there's no problem with that as long as it's clear to the counter which option you selected. Feel free to draw as many butterflies, dicks or black squares on the ballot as you like, just don't scribble over the boxes on the voting side.

So when it comes to marking your ballot to hide it from being observed by third parties, by standard AEC practice there's no problem with that as long as it's clear to the counter which option you selected. Feel free to draw as many butterflies, dicks or black squares on the ballot as you like, just don't scribble over the boxes on the voting side.

The only thing that gives this postal vote any similarity to our AEC is that the envelopes go out to those on the electoral roll. After that, it's an ABS factfest and they don't want you marking their vote sheet anywhere but in the box you choose. You run the risk of having your 'vote' deemed worthless should you get creative;)

There was an image going around on twitter - that one, I believe - with someone saying he worked at AusPost and was going to get rid of all the no votes.

Which was unfortunate, because it's from an online shitstirrer and not an AusPost employee. It sure got people riled up, tho'.

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/907817752060059648

I saw it hit facebook and the place went wild, there was no way I could even dent the madness that got whipped up.

Edited by smadge1

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/907817752060059648

I saw it hit facebook and the place went wild, there was no way I could even dent the madness that got whipped up.

I found the easiest way was to point out that a random AusPost worker would not be internet famous enough to have a verified twitter account. 'Oh, yeah....'

DJp4cGwUEAAP7n3.jpg

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. How easy it'd be to read is dependent on how the letter is folded and put into the return envelope (which doesn't have your details).

The survey letter is folded originally such that if you return it the same way the Y/N part will always face outside. You could reverse one fold when returning which would put the Y/N part in the middle of the 2 other folds (standard A4 letter).

As for being able to read/distinguish what's been voted, it would vary depending on how the return letter is folded and which orientation it's put back in the envelope. Doing a dodgy check and chuck would be a pretty conspicuous operation for a manual worker and probably take a while.

For starters, the return envelope is just a generic one that looks like the millions of others that'd be in the system at any time.

Next up, like I said before - I doubt these things would be in the manual sort process at all. The system is fairly automated and most of the manual sorting happens in the number/street ordering by the actual postie that delivers the things on the day. Bulk return stuff like this needs no sorting at all and could be picked and binned at the earliest stage and IMO the automated process would get 99.9% of the things.

So, put the teacup back in the cupboard, the storm has found somewhere else to go.

So, put the teacup back in the cupboard, the storm has found somewhere else to go.

Where ? ...to the welfare cuts in the various sectors that are happening as we speak about see-through envelopes ? :P

Edited by eveln

:)

Ours turned up today, other than the fact I had to fight to get the survey form separated from the cover letter - seems the process did not QUITE let the ink dry it's hardly rocket-science, will post it back over the weekend :)

Cheers

Ours turned up today

Same - but no fight required. Filled and awaiting next visit to the PO. (Mail boxes apparently don't exist here.)

I've always said I'd vote yes, my thought on a SSM vote has always been "why the fuck not".

But I keep seeing a lot of hatred and vitriol being spewed out in regards to this vote and its not coming from the side everyone said it would be.

I've seen death threats and threats of rape and I wish there was some way i could send a giant "fuck you" to these people without putting a mark in that no box.

• Like 2

saw a pic yesterday in courier mail of Penny Wong and Christopher Pyne wearing the prescribed yes-vote t-shirt and rallying alongside others. If Pyne is out there all smiles with the opposition then I'd say it's almost a forgone conclusion that we eventually have lawful ssm. Living up here in the boonies I don't get to physically witness the hate-speech and threats that are said to be happening. but you know if Howard and his cronies of the day hadn't stuck their fucking noses in and arbitrarily decided to change the letter of the law like that then this particular scrum of hatefulness would not now be occurring ... as to there being another reason for hate-speech happening, well I'd say that's pretty much a given.

saw a pic yesterday in courier mail of Penny Wong and Christopher Pyne wearing the prescribed yes-vote t-shirt and rallying alongside others. If Pyne is out there all smiles with the opposition then I'd say it's almost a forgone conclusion that we eventually have lawful ssm. Living up here in the boonies I don't get to physically witness the hate-speech and threats that are said to be happening. but you know if Howard and his cronies of the day hadn't stuck their fucking noses in and arbitrarily decided to change the letter of the law like that then this particular scrum of hatefulness would not now be occurring ... as to there being another reason for hate-speech happening, well I'd say that's pretty much a given.

It seems like we're getting a bit like the US here now with so many people greatly divided on issues.

Hopefully its just temporary and dies off a bit once this is done.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/antisamesex-marriage-groups-officially-launch-no-campaign/news-story/235e715af9152d7a4dca4449df21318f

"On Saturday, the Australian Federal Police confirmed they were looking into claims people were trying to sell their same sex-marriage survey forms online.

Forms have cropped up on eBay with one being sold off for $1500, ABC reported. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has admitted it hadn’t planned for people hocking their votes online."

was intending to vote 'yes', but now i am opening the floor to bidders lol

It seems like we're getting a bit like the US here now with so many people greatly divided on issues.

Hopefully its just temporary and dies off a bit once this is done.

I don't think it's so much that we are copying USA. It's the basic rightness of the idea of equality of marriage itself really that's got people soo up-in-arms.

The beauty of not watching commercial tv and living in the boonies and paying little to no attention to the scum in my internetting is that the extremists just don't exist for me . I know I'm lucky in that ;)

@ @~thehung ... who'd wanna bid / buy one anyway o_0 ... it's not like the count of this postal is gonna make a diff .

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

I've always said I'd vote yes, my thought on a SSM vote has always been "why the fuck not".

But I keep seeing a lot of hatred and vitriol being spewed out in regards to this vote and its not coming from the side everyone said it would be.

I've seen death threats and threats of rape and I wish there was some way i could send a giant "fuck you" to these people without putting a mark in that no box.

I thought the same thing.

Except I know gay couples who hate these retards as much as I do, and don't even care if marriage goes ahead or not, because they've got everything they want.

So it used to be that I was ardently pro gay-rights. Now, I just want this issue put to rest, and not crop up again and again and again and again.

So I ticked yes. Because my life won't change.

• Like 2

I thought the same thing.

Except I know gay couples who hate these retards as much as I do, and don't even care if marriage goes ahead or not, because they've got everything they want.

So it used to be that I was ardently pro gay-rights. Now, I just want this issue put to rest, and not crop up again and again and again and again.

So I ticked yes. Because my life won't change.

Yeah that's my issue, if this piece of paper actually makes any difference then its too important a decision to be affected by the fuckwits at either extreme end of the argument for or against.

I'm just shitty because the proponents of SSM used to hold the high ground and now the vocal minority is scrabbling around in the mud and shit with the worst of the homophobes.

• Like 1