Romulus

Chrome Native Message Host

Ben Mansil from PC&TA suggested I pose my question to you guys.

My PC is up to date but I get this constant message ‘Chrome Native Message Host Has Stopped Working’. Windows is meant to be looking for a solution but never does. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. It doesn't seem to upset the operation of Chrome, but being a little OCD, it annoys the daylights out of me.

I suppose I will get a few sarcastic answers like, don't use Win10, or don't use Chrome, but it has been bugging me. I have searched a million and one forums but can't seem to find a logical and simple answer, it must be a common problem.

Can anyone help or direct me to a thread?

‘Chrome Native Message Host Has Stopped Working’

Nothing in front of that message like True key?

First thoughts would be do the usual of clearing all cookies and disabling or removing all extensions.

If still no dice then may need to get drastic and uninstall Chrome, followed by deleting the chrome folders from C:\Program Files (x86)\Google

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google and anywhere else you can find them.

Then install Chrome again and see how it goes.

However my bet is on an extension causing the issue, especially one of the security suite extensions.

• Like 1

I reckon it's some password program extension failing ... they need to put an extension in work with Chrome.

Chrome keeps to changing flipping version so fast these extensions break.

I removed everything except Adblock plus and will see. If it still comes up I will remove that too.

Thanks for the quick response.

Does Chrome have a safemode where you can load it up with all of that kind of things disabled temporarily?

Does Chrome have a safemode where you can load it up with all of that kind of things disabled temporarily?

Run Chrome with the --disable-extensions command-line option

That is right click the Chrome shortcut and select properties. in the target section add

--disable-extensions to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

so you will have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-extensions

• Like 1

There seems to be little info around about this - I get the feeling it might be the inbuilt facility for pushed (?) notifications... other browsers have the same ability.

A bit of a stab, but maybe give a look over to stuff like 3rd party firewall, AV, general internet security packages if any are installed.

I suppose I will get a few sarcastic answers like, don't use Win10, or don't use Chrome

Nope, ya wont!

This is a good forum :)

You might get advice along the lines of "if you can't solve it, Have you tried browser X [waterfox, for me]? It's my favorite" But no one will suggest "give up and move on" as a first resort, or treat you like an idiot :)

If removing all the extensions doesn't help

For the sake of complete testing, consider burning a memtest disk and running memtest overnight.

While unlikely, it's possible Chrome is the only application you have that's using enough RAM during a work day, to hit a bad block, and have something crash.

That 'something' can be pretty common, considering peoples use cases are usually similar.

There's no harm in a memtest overnight anyway. Burn a CD or USB stick, and kick it off!

Given that Vivaldi and Opera browsers are built using the Chrome engine, maybe install one or both of them and see how it goes.

* prefer Vivaldi here since it's got built in vertical tabs instead of having to use buggy extensions to get them.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Chrome does have a weird way of css style sheet caching as we found out when writing an internal web site.