Sign in to follow this  
joemeow

Wifi VPN advice

If that's your goal, just run your own.

Build a little OpenVPN server (I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi), and add IPtable blocking, and maybe some other decent options (pfSense can run on a Rpi) and that's your most protection you'll get.

Most of the "pay for" VPNs are about trying to make you anonymous, not about protecting from internet threats.

Hi, Joemeow, I'm wondering if you can help me clarify something:

On 28/09/2016 you mentioned that you use purevpn. On 07/11/2016 you asked for advice on a VPN to use for gaming, and mentioned that you were looking at purevpn, but have no idea how to set one up.

And now, a year later, you're asking about a specific purevpn product.

Anyway, the thing I'm asking for clarification for:

Are you a timetraveler?

• Like 2

Also, anyone using PureVPN for wifi security?

If you pop onto that privacy site, and have a look you'll notice that PureVPN is a VERY POOR CHOICE.

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole.

If I had to use someone, it'll be BolehVPN, Nord (known to be slow, but private), or hide.me

Also, worth a note, is that PureVPN does NOT forbid "Full Disclosure", "Ethical Copy" or "Disclosing Affiliates".

Which means that any positive reviews they have are probably FAKE, and they allow, and possibly even hire people to advertise their service.

Just a scummy company you DO NOT want to go anywhere near!

Never trust people that don't disclose their ads, from legitimate reviews.

Look into BolehVPN if you dont mind spemding some money, or Nord, if you're cheap, but willing to put up with occasional slowdowns during peak USA times (regardless of where you are).

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thread necro and related PSA - there's also the new reports on WPA2 encryption having a security hole in it (called KRACK), so To Be Sure To Be Sure your core WiFi "stuff" needs appropriate updating as well.aa

VPN or if more security, you can use vip 72

or HMA pro. but I suggest you use vip 72

I wouldn't....

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/vip72-vpn/

I used it before, it's working very good, With VPN / HMA your network speed is not high, but with sockvip 72, it's smooth. Many people use it for offer job. However, if you use for personal, VPN may be good choice. I use all , VPN, vip sock 72 vs HMA. Then, it's my opinion.

I've been forced to think about Travel VPNs, as I'm off to India early next year.

People say you don't need mobile data when travelling, you just use wifi, but I'll never connect to WiFi I don't know, without protection.

I plan to use as little mobile data as possible, it's quite expensive. If I connect to WiFi, I'd like the most protection I can get. I plan to be taking a Marshmallow 6.0 Android phone and an iPad Air2.

I really don't know what's involved in looking for and setting up VPNs (especially across multiple devices)

I think the iPad is relatively easy, once you sign up for a VPN service (on a website or an app) you just download and install a mobileconfig profile with the VPN payload,

I have less experience with Android devices however.

VPN or if more security, you can use vip 72

or HMA pro. but I suggest you use vip 72

I wouldn't....

https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/vip72-vpn/

I used it before, it's working very good, With VPN / HMA your network speed is not high, but with sockvip 72, it's smooth. Many people use it for offer job. However, if you use for personal, VPN may be good choice. I use all , VPN, vip sock 72 vs HMA. Then, it's my opinion.

Any company involved with bitcoin theft I'd avoid personally.

But I'm glad you're one of the lucky few who didn't get scammed looking at reports!

I've been forced to think about Travel VPNs, as I'm off to India early next year.

People say you don't need mobile data when travelling, you just use wifi, but I'll never connect to WiFi I don't know, without protection.

I plan to use as little mobile data as possible, it's quite expensive. If I connect to WiFi, I'd like the most protection I can get. I plan to be taking a Marshmallow 6.0 Android phone and an iPad Air2.

I really don't know what's involved in looking for and setting up VPNs (especially across multiple devices)

I think the iPad is relatively easy, once you sign up for a VPN service (on a website or an app) you just download and install a mobileconfig profile with the VPN payload,

I have less experience with Android devices however.

Hide.Me is the most mature 'friendly' service. However you certainly pay for it.

If you're OK with a massive slowdown, but still usable, then NordVPN is probably the go to (also VERY developed for mobile clients etc)

BlackVPN looks promising, but it's been known to sell (well, accused of selling) data.

Boleh seems to be one of the most secure, but once again you pay for it.

I ended up with Nord, after using Hide.Me

Both seem fine, and the fact that we DONT line up with USA peak times means even the 'slow' nord vpn connection is quite usable.

Android and iPad should be the same;

Install the OpenVPN client.

Download your VPN of choice OpenVPN configuration file.

Sign in.