Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
fredzfrog

Woo! Star trek Discovery! (spoilers, probably)

Hmm, mysterious black badges?

Research that goes beyond what laws will allow?

Destroying a potentially salvageable vessel during war?

Sounds like Section 31 to me.

Certain YouTube channels have posted such inspiring reviews as "Star Trek: Discovery is Truly God Awful". Boy that gives me hope for the future. ;p

It seems to be pretty polarising - some love it, some hate it. Most of the complaints I've seen have been related to it being quite unlike previous Star Trek shows. Ironically, those praising it often note that same reason as a major positive.

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD. It's still Star Trek, just a little bit darker (but nothing like, say, Lexx or Farscape).

Edited by i_am_banned2
  • Like 1

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD.

no-one really enjoys an STD :P

hmmm.... if it's like lexx then i'd probably like it

does that mean there's euro-trash flesh exposure ?? awesome !!

• Like 1

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD.

no-one really enjoys an STD :P

hmmm.... if it's like lexx then i'd probably like it

does that mean there's euro-trash flesh exposure ?? awesome !!

Nah, it's not at all like Lexx, unfortunately. Considering how quickly the relatively mainstream Firefly got canceled, another Lexx/Farscape type show will probably never see the light of day.

lexx was the bomb

probably my favourite tv of last century; hard pressed to think of any other series quite so inventive from that time

i was always curious about Lexx. but even back then its kitschy rough-edged production levels were very off-putting.

Farscape, was far glossier production-wise but never made good on its continual threats to not suck. some good character development and the occasional compelling scene. and points for a non-humanoid alien protagonist -- but a muppet is a muppet. it tried, but rarely rose above the level of sci-fi for tweens.

Firefly was straight up shiny. brilliant characters, but the best thing about it was that Whedon never let his penchant for silliness override solid storytelling.

Babylon 5 is the big one i havent seen and know i must one day. wasnt the kind of show you could just drop in on. but too many people have recommended the sophistication of its narrative arc.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

i would disagree on your view of production values in lexx

the first series was slick; the second (non-movie length) series lapsed a bit, more than made up for by the swarms of drones and the depictions of lexx (for the available technology to produce it at the time) but the third (especially) and fourth series did it for me

xenia seeberg - yes please !

and 790 (and 791).... perfect !

well, it looked and sounded like it was filmed under the fluorescent lights of an underground car park in front of pull-down green screens. it had a claustrophobia inducing over-reliance on single camera shots, was 90% comprised of overlays of both foreground and background CGI often so awkwardly composited it made you long for the quality of 1963's Jason and the Argonauts, had sound design so sparse it would rival an episode of Days Of Our Lives despite the endlessly droning bargain basement synth there in the hope of disguising it, and frequently lamentable acting. oh, and a robot head for a character that looked something like a papier-mâché hockey mask with LCD screens in the eye sockets playing animations for eyeballs that wouldve looked lo-fi on a Sega Master System circa 85.

790-LEXX.jpg

i am sure you could put the bulk of this down to budgetary constraints. and i am quite ready to believe the makers did a phenomenal job with what resources they had. most importantly, i do understand that the general cheesiness of the whole thing, like our robot friend above, you could put down to deliberate stylistic choices totally in keeping with the creepy grungy off-kilter surrealist vibe they were going for. i could maybe get into this show.

but kitschy and rough-edged is quite fair. yes, it had some very impressive CGI, but against comparable offerings of its day, this show SCREAMED unpolished, fake-looking, and dated.

xenia seeberg - yes please !

and 790 (and 791).... perfect !

... My memories were not favourable, so I googled those images to make sure I had the ones. Yyeah. Either you got something out of it I never did, or you're remembering the past with your rose glasses on.

Or both,I guess.

Here's an interesting fan theory... Normally, I tend to take this sort of thing with a Ceres-sized grain of salt, but this one actually hangs together pretty well, and would explain an awful lot. See what you think:

BTW: As someone pointed out in the YT comments, Yes, that is a tribble - tribbles have one useful function: detecting Klingons. Pretty handy considering who they're at war with.

Fredz, I should have known you'd hop onto atomic as well to post this ! Me, well even as a die hard, life long trek fan, and as mentioned earlier, I'm embarrassed to say I have seen Discovery as yet. Watched all other movies and series many times, and even have the entire Star Ships collection. Yes, I hang my head in shame.

Have to say though, I'm not sure I like the visual change to the Klingons, I don't think they deserve to look so evil.

Even Patrick's delivery could not sustain us / me over the consistent use of the holo-deck to make the story for most of the latter episodes. As with most long running shows the writers get stale. Scott and his dog that seemed to live permanently in Scott's tiny cell of a room annoyed me rather a lot. Such total lack of proper care for the animal !

Yeah, I never liked the Holodeck. You've already got a show set in a fantastical sci-fi universe with limitless possibilities - and to then have so many stories set in a magical Daydream Land safely on board the ship where nothing has any consequence. Mind-boggling.

You don't like the Holodeck ? I do. Apart from the obvious simulated training possibilities, I don't think people will ever get tired of experiencing a bit of fantasy in their life, whatever the era and technology advancements. Today we have VR, tomorrow it's the Holodeck. VR is advancing in great leaps and bounds, and I've gotten wrapped up in its near reality a few times.... to the point of walking smack into a wall.... a real one. I've also near frozen in fright at being (apparently) suspended in deep space. Anyone who has not experienced a high quality VR environment, I recommend they do so at the first opportunity. Then come back and say you don't like the Holodeck ! I'm off again this weekend to get my fix .... new software .... the Enterprise bridge :) Edited by NightOwl
  • Like 1

After my 4th bout of STD, it continues to leave an impression... *ahem* Unlike my juvenile humour, this is a quality show. The main characters are really starting to establish their (dysfunctional) personalities, helped largely by the way they grate on each other. It's a setup that has worked well for other classic sci-fi adventure stories (as mentioned above), even if STD lacks much of the humour and irreverence of those particular shows.

The Klingons became a lot more interesting in this episode, too. I didn't much care for them before, but I'm somewhat intrigued now. Will we see a Klingon rom-com episode in future? I think I speak for everyone when I say, "I HOPE SO." How do passionate Klingons kiss with all that bone mass on their face? I can't wait to find out.

Even Patrick's delivery could not sustain us / me over the consistent use of the holo-deck to make the story for most of the latter episodes. As with most long running shows the writers get stale. Scott and his dog that seemed to live permanently in Scott's tiny cell of a room annoyed me rather a lot. Such total lack of proper care for the animal !

Yeah, I never liked the Holodeck. You've already got a show set in a fantastical sci-fi universe with limitless possibilities - and to then have so many stories set in a magical Daydream Land safely on board the ship where nothing has any consequence. Mind-boggling.

You don't like the Holodeck ? I do. Apart from the obvious simulated training possibilities, I don't think people will ever get tired of experiencing a bit of fantasy in their life, whatever the era and technology advancements....

First things first : *waves* good to see your avatar on the page:)

It's not that I didn't like the Holodeck, it was that I became less enthralled by it's continuous use to make a show about a ship filled with hundreds of crew travelling through space.

Unless of course it was the aim of the show to say that well space travel is boring cos there's really nothing out there so we use our own inventions to allow us to pretty much go back in time to what ever era we like and insert ourselves into a scene or two ... ;)

• Like 1

the holodeck had lasting appeal for me simply because it was VR tech wish fulfillment of the highest order, and i'd never seen a show do anything like it.

even so, it did get to the point they were phoning it in. a wild west episode inside Red Dwarf's Better Than Life is as good a place as any for humour, but its hard to sweat over whether or not Picard eats an imaginary bullet.

That's pretty much my point about it all. The first few times the use of the holodeck was extremely cool. I came to prefer Deep Space Nine. Imagination seemed to be still in use. That and some fun writing too ...

a bit like whenever Q the omnipotent timelord reared his head in the Star Treks. its interesting to ponder encountering a ridiculously advanced lifeform, and he had some good moments character-wise — but wizard magic is not a good match for science fiction, and becomes a get out of jail card for lazy writing.

a malicious virus that infected minds using the holodeck would be interesting. or did they actually do that????

No such thing in TNG... from memory the only major malfunction was when Data asked for an adversary that could defeat him and it created Moriarty (from the Sherlock Holmes story) - the malfunction being that holodeck safety protocols were disabled which meant real humans could be injured or killed. Also, it ignored commands to stop the simulation (?)

I don't have a problem with the holodeck - it's not like it was used a lot and is the logical marriage (as we're told) of transporter and replicator technology.

Edited by Rybags

so i got curious and acquired a couple of S:TDs

minor gripes:

- the Klingons are an advanced civilisation, whose average rate of speech in conversation would be lucky to hit a moronic 50 wpm (3....times........slower.....than average.......english speech). its exhausting.

- had to laugh when Voq arrived on the scene. although the following can be easily explained by Voq breaking protocol, i still thought the scene played out funny:

here we are in the inner circle of officers on a Klingon ship and the reaction is like "Who the fuck is this guy?". in the background the other Klingons are exchanging perplexed glances. "Psst, Barry. Did you know we had an albino on board. Wtf?" "I know right? Months on board this ship and I've just never noticed the guy." or maybe it was because the captain had just said "State your name". state your name? i mean, hold on a minute, he doesnt know? the captain hasnt heard of Voq the Albino? i dont care how low the guy is ranked, everyone has heard of Voq...the fucking albino!

- the two senior officers cant be beamed up because the dust storm is messing with radio comms...and they are 'too small to be seen with the naked eye'. solution? walk around in the sand and somehow leave a trail as wide and well indented as that left by a marching column of Roman legonaries. couldnt have just fired their phasers? hey, it was a nice idea for an inspirational opening moment — just wish the execution was better.

major gripes:

- instead of making a better case for firing first on the Klingons, a long serving first officer just assaults her captain on the basis of little more than a hunch? stoooooopid. hopefully this is just a conceit to get the story rolling, but it doesnt inspire confidence at all.

- remote mind-meld. um...what, vulcans have FTL ESP now? sigh. this also does not bode well.

positives:

- its nice to see a scifi show with some serious money behind it. its pretty slick, and they have all the ingredients there to do something great.

- the chick from TWD is a quality actress, even though she looked a bit shaky. as long as the character doesnt go full retard she will definitely shine.

all things considered, so far:

6/10 as Star Trek
7/10 for potential as a scifi show with "Star Trek" branding.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

The show probably should've started off with episode 3, and told the "prologue" events through occasional flashbacks throughout the series. I'd imagine a lot of people dropped the show during those first two episodes (I almost did).

This bloke gives a good appraisal. I can't help but agree with so much of what he doesn't like about it.

Believe I mentioned that a few days ago (#27?) I got the impression other peeps here had other opinions.

Speaking of... What did you think of the fan theory?

Edited by Cybes