Mac Dude

Blade Runner 2049

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated. it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.

More than you think is there, that is :). Both Blade Runner movies are about what people we accept and those we think of as 'beneath us'. That attitude is as old as time, with my tribe being better than your tribe, white better than black or asylum seeker worth less than everybody else.

The story isn't new, but the time and place are. Even though the story isn't original, I don't think that means there is nothing to it.

Edited by Mac Dude
  • Like 2

I'm always a bit wary of remakes, especially those of epic movies like Blade Runner. Was planning on waiting for the DVD, but I'm thinking this might be worthy of a cinema outing after all ! If it turns out to be a disappointing smear on a legendary piece of movie-dom, I'll just blame MacDude .... :)

• Like 3

If it turns out to be a disappointing smear on a legendary piece of movie-dom, I'll just blame MacDude .... :)

Ditto. I shall blame him very hard. Possibly even with words, and not just feelings! ;p

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated. it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.

More than you think is there, that is :). Both Blade Runner movies are about what people we accept and those we think of as 'beneath us'. That attitude is as old as time, with my tribe being better than your tribe, white better than black or asylum seeker worth less than everybody else.

The story isn't new, but the time and place are. Even though the story isn't original, I don't think that means there is nothing to it.

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence. understandable, but theres no need to feel that way. no matter how deep the movie is, its possible to overestimate that depth. and whether or not you yourself have, it doesnt mean many others havent. besides, its not like thematic depth is the ultimate measure of a film's worth.

i enjoy watching MMA, and i'd wager my interest is in it is far more cerebral than that of the rednecks who are so numerous they pretty much define the fanbase. but these perspectives can coexist independently. if Blade Runner is beloved by posturing psuedo-intellectuals of uncritical taste this neednt concern you. if you profess a love for it, i dont automatically assume youre one of them.

yes, Blade Runner is deep. its a deeply flawed masterpiece. its dense in all the ways. multi-layered, and hard to get through. like a Shakespearean sonnet mindlessly padded out to a thousand words. nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window. this is, in my subjective opinion, is an objective flaw. but cult films sometimes garner such an inflated aura of importance that any discussion of flaws is branded as sacrilege. which is why thousands suffer needlessly each year. the people who have been putting it off, who maybe (probably) fell asleep last time. its those innocents i care about. this is for them.

• Like 1

i wrote elsewhere here:

Blade Runner was...kinda boring.

...the themes are fascinating. the movies oozes mood and atmosphere. there is time to think, digest, and be swallowed up in turn by its pervasively bleak and palpably realised future vision. it broods; never feeling compelled to fill every spare moment with vacuous dialogue or explosions.

problem is, it also yawns. and its just not held together in a way that matches the narrative and thematic complexity of the short story on which it is (loosely) based. such a shame.

i have to say, its a uniquely impressive movie for sure. the imagery and mood of so many of its sequences is weirdly indelible in my mind, distinct and familiar as if it were my own recurring dream. the same cannot be said for so many movies ive enjoyed far more.

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated. it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there. and while i can understand the hate for the narrated version, without it there was even less substance. but thats another reason. its insistance on dank inscrutibility lends it a counter-cultural coolness that was always ripe for a cult following in retrospect.

ive yet to see the 'Final Cut' version. i think i will watch that and then set to work on it. because this film could be edited to about 1/2 its length, gain something of a pulse, and lose very little of its dreamy dystopian juju. i would love to see that movie! the speedball antidote to all the quaalude versions.

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence. understandable, but theres no need to feel that way. no matter how deep the movie is, its possible to overestimate that depth. and whether or not you yourself have, it doesnt mean many others havent. besides, its not like thematic depth is the ultimate measure of a film's worth.

i enjoy watching MMA, and i'd wager my interest is in it is far more cerebral than that of the rednecks who are so numerous they pretty much define the fanbase. but these perspectives can coexist independently. if Blade Runner is beloved by posturing psuedo-intellectuals of uncritical taste this neednt concern you. if you profess a love for it, i dont automatically assume youre one of them.

yes, Blade Runner is deep. its a deeply flawed masterpiece. its dense in all the ways. multi-layered, and hard to get through. like a Shakespearean sonnet mindlessly padded out to a thousand words. nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window. this is, in my subjective opinion, is an objective flaw. but cult films sometimes garner such an inflated aura of importance that any discussion of flaws is branded as sacrilege. which is why thousands suffer needlessly each year. the people who have been putting it off, who maybe (probably) fell asleep last time. its those innocents i care about. this is for them.

Much like how you could have conveyed all that with a simple "It was alright, but a bit long."

• Like 1

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence.

Not sure why you think that. You're wrong but entitled to your opinion of course.

As for there being nothing in the movie, while I take reviews with a grain of salt there are many that disagree with you.

While I believe enjoyment of a movie is very much a taste thing where everybody is equally entitled to enjoy a movie, or not, I think there is enough evidence to support my PoV on the substance.

nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window.

And there I disagree. IMO, the time taken to unfold the story is integral: it's indicative of the characters not being supercomputers. Real life has breaks of no action, and people can take a while to appreciate what's right under their noses. As a happy accident, telling the story more slowly gives the audience get to understand at least part of it as it happens, rather than having to go over their mental notes after the fact.

If you have problems with this movie's pacing, you had better never try to watch Silent Running. Also, how on Earth did you manage to get through Moon or Lord of the Rings?

Much like how you could have conveyed all that with a simple "It was alright, but a bit long."

haha nice burn bro :)

but while we are here on an internet discussion forum, whats your take on the movie? use emojis if you like.

As for there being nothing in the movie, while I take reviews with a grain of salt there are many that disagree with you.

"themes are fascinating" "oozes mood and atmosphere" "pervasively bleak and palpably realised future vision" "dreamy dystopian juju" (i quite like that) "uniquely impressive" "flawed masterpiece" "multi-layered"

evidently, i think there is a whole lot in the movie.

/slight derail ...

personally, I find marrow and tripe without flavour and substance. There are many, many, who think other wise. << That does not in any way influence my negative thoughts on either the tripe or the marrow

... \end derail.

@~thehung. I would leave off the argument. It is futile as Mac Dude is doing his usual of arguing against thin air ... imo

haha nice burn bro :)

but while we are here on an internet discussion forum, whats your take on the movie? use emojis if you like.

It was a long time ago, but I liked it. While it didn't blow me away or anything, it certainly inspired my imagination. As a simple commoner, I generally appreciate those aspects more than any intellectual message a film tries to convey.

If you have problems with this movie's pacing, you had better never try to watch Silent Running. Also, how on Earth did you manage to get through Moon or Lord of the Rings?

are you honestly telling me you were not ever bored at times? i am asking this without a trace of sneering sarcasm.

haha i actually watched Silent Running very recently. saw part of it on TV many years ago and finally tracked it down. i would agree that large chunks of down time were integral to feeling Bruce Derns isolation. still wouldve liked just a tad more plot though. and what was with all that jarring Joan Baez music? hard to appreciate the emotional counterpoint it was meant to serve up outside of the context of the time. it was alright, but a bit long.

really enjoyed Moon. i even liked the Soderbergh's Solaris remake, and thats pretty slooooow.

are you honestly telling me you were not ever bored at times?

Honestly answering too: No, not once. BR has, since it came out, been one of my favourite movies. It's been in my collection in VHS, DVD, and BR formats.

I had read the PK Dick short beforehand, but largely forgotten it by the time the movie came out. I read it again afterward, and didn't enjoy it nearly as much, though the "What is human?" question was more obvious.

haha i actually watched Silent Running very recently. ... it was alright, but a bit long.

LoL - nice summary. :) That's in my collection as well, but that one gets watched with some judicious use of the FFW button. ;)

really enjoyed Moon. i even liked the Soderbergh's Solaris remake, and thats pretty slooooow.

So... It isn't the pacing that is your issue with Blade Runner, then, is it? I mean, it's fine to not like any particular movie, but if you're good with one being slow then another also being slow should also not inherently be a problem.

Did people go into the movie having watched all the small featurettes released on youtube and etc to help set the scene/bridge the movies?

Did people go into the movie having watched all the small featurettes released on youtube and etc to help set the scene/bridge the movies?

...Yew...Toob..? 1982 cybes wants to know what that is.

so you saw it in 1982 in a cinema? its hard to underestimate the difference in terms of lasting first impressions when compared to censored 80s TV :D the sheer spectacle of it must have ruined you considering how well it holds up even today.

yeah, its still mostly about pacing...but i wont say more because i am trying to empty my mind. its been long enough since i saw to the directors cut to give the final cut its due sometime soon. i want clean the slate as best i can. btw, do you see that as the definitive one?

so you saw it in 1982 in a cinema?

Yup. Three times. Which matches my viewing record for Star Wars, except that SW hasn't held up nearly so well - though some of that is down to Lucas constantly dicking around with it.

My (concise) thoughts on the new one: Really enjoyed it!!!

I'd recommend watching the Final Cut version of the original before seeing 2049 (if you haven't seen it for a while)

Definitely going to watch again

(It Is a bit long, but not overly so- more a problem for my knees at the end more than losing any interest in the film)

so you saw it in 1982 in a cinema? its hard to underestimate the difference in terms of lasting first impressions when compared to censored 80s TV :D the sheer spectacle of it must have ruined you considering how well it holds up even today.

Yeah, I know, replying twice - and so long after the fact. Bear with me.

I found a clip of Denis Villeneuve's reaction to seeing the original at that time, and it's very very similar to mine. You can see in his face what he doesn't have words for, and his accent is nicer. ;)

somewhat unrealistically, in their vision of the future, not a single person is obsessed with their mobile phone

• Like 2

somewhat unrealistically, in their vision of the future, not a single person is obsessed with their mobile phone

In '82, nobody had thought of a mobile 'phone. They also hadn't thought of an internet for said mobile to hook into.

Actually, thinking about it, I think the first shadow of modern comms I can remember was a kind of dark reflection of social media - something very like Star Trek's Borg, only without the assimilation: humans who netted themselves together voluntarily via radio links to communicate. 'Course, being fiction, they soon started acting as a hive mind, running "distributed computing" style; disconnecting any of them from the gestalt resulted in a gibbering blob of flesh. (That was Vacuum Flowers by Michael Swanwick, from '87.)

it's pretty strange that sci-fi writers hadn't predicted the ris of the "constantly connected" situation of today

my take on it is that those sci-fi writers of old were too asperger in their inclination to even consider how much the ability to connect to other people would change "normal" people, for whom constant approval and interaction would usurp breathing, if that were the only choice

It's funny Cybes ( not haha ) that when you said ... " In '82, nobody had thought of a mobile 'phone." it recalled to mind the second phone we had at home ( slightly before '82), it was a stand alone cordless thingy. For a little while we had it upstairs, but I think the phone bills could have nixed that. Teenagers ...

Seems to me the focus was more about androids /robotics / Asimov etc.etc. maybe mobile phones were not deemed important enough. I still wonder why Hari Krishnas made it in :P

It's funny Cybes ( not haha ) that when you said ... " In '82, nobody had thought of a mobile 'phone." it recalled to mind the second phone we had at home ( slightly before '82), it was a stand alone cordless thingy. For a little while we had it upstairs, but I think the phone bills could have nixed that. Teenagers ...

Seems to me the focus was more about androids /robotics / Asimov etc.etc. maybe mobile phones were not deemed important enough. I still wonder why Hari Krishnas made it in :P

hari krishnas were "big" at the time

maybe the producer thought they were going to blossom by 2019, like christianity did in the roman era

• Like 1