Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
phenomenal187

anyone got a undelete tool to recommend?

So i lent my laptop to my brother and it came back with a bunch of files missing. I checked out a couple of recovery tools a while back for something similar but not as important, and they failed miserably. can anyone recommend something that will do the job i require of it with no hassles? either freeware or something i just have to pay a couple bucks for, im not too fussed, with that said im not made of money either.

last time i tried, i remember using recuva, which seems to be the tool of choice for a lot of people and it didnt work at all, so not that one

Are these data or media flea as against say windows system or os files?

I'm assuming you mean personal data files.

Edited by Jeruselem

Recuva.

Just remember best results are had when you recover to a different drive and if it's a boot drive can be better to mount it on another computer.

As for what's better/best, they all do much the same. What is important to me is filtering so you don't end up with 250,000 hits which Recuva seems to do fine.

For ownership of file I actually think it doesn't matter - these utilities do raw reads anyway.

If it's a problem there's a shell extension around called "Take ownership" that changes permissions of entire folders. Though it can be risky to use, potentially you could screw up a system to unusable state.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

I wonder if this is a normal hard drive or SSD he's using as well. If it's an SSD, I have no idea.

Edited by Jeruselem

SSD you'd have less chance as file updates would rotate through freed up blocks.

But really, all these things do much the same thing, the main difference is that some will employ a bit of AI and look for file headers to identify file types.

The longer you keep using a drive once a file's deleted, the more chance of not getting it back.

personal files and theyre on a standard drive. only ssd is the boot drive and im aware that recovery is a bit harder on those.

Recuva is the bees knees.

If you're not finding them, there's a good chance they're overwritten already.

However its also possible you forgot to go into settings and turn on DEEP SCAN.

On a 'shallow' scan, it just looks for things like shadow copies. On a deep scan it actually does a disk surface check and looks for ALL tombstoned files.

I recently had to run it on a server with a RAID5 (less likely again to be able to recover) and managed to find a few TB worth of data; took 11 hours to scan, but it worked.

My money is on forgetting to deep scan (which means you didn't read the manual :P)

did you try back up your window?

I see many people use recuvar to do that kind of stuff. But I tried, not very effective.

Huong Pham, I have to know....

What are you doing here?

I like that a small Australian Forum has attracted an international visitor (you're Vietnamese, right?)

But every time you reply, it either makes no sense, or it's repeating others posts.

I'm always interested in others opinions, especially when it's international (because we think very differently).

But, why not post something unique?

You work for a software development company!

You must be IT savvy!

did you try back up your window?

I see many people use recuvar to do that kind of stuff. But I tried, not very effective.

Huong Pham, I have to know....

What are you doing here?

I like that a small Australian Forum has attracted an international visitor (you're Vietnamese, right?)

But every time you reply, it either makes no sense, or it's repeating others posts.

I'm always interested in others opinions, especially when it's international (because we think very differently).

But, why not post something unique?

You work for a software development company!

You must be IT savvy!

Sorry if my post make you think that I didn't post any reply unique and useful. That is all I know. For this topic, I don't think a tool can help him to solve that.

I'm a good guy if you suspect it., And what i tried to discuss, is something maybe i know. I think it's not a kind of spammer or something like that. I always find something I know, to reply, not for something I don't know to spam. Please re-consider it.

I joined this forum because your forum is a large, and I have never seen it before, because all these type of forum, is spam or not moderated. I hate that.

So, If you think that I wouldn't be welcomed here, Ok. I will delete my account, and never come back this forum.

Please let me know, thanks.

:)

Nah mate, stick around, MS was just curious because we get so few International members, in fact you might be the only one for a while.

We are a very friendly bunch, just the humour can get a bit dry sometimes :)

Take it easy, enjoy yourself, it's what Atomic is about - mostly :)

Cheers

Excrement! Added to bookmarks!

(no longer valid with spam post gone)

Edited by Rybags