TheManFromPOST

My leg and the last 2 months

43 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

feeling better today

yesterday was the hardest day day i have hadvto handle

but if the universe wants to get me down,  it will have to try harder

Mate, your attitude to what you are going through is just plain amazing. I couldnt handle it like you seem to be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Mate, your attitude to what you are going through is just plain amazing. I couldnt handle it like you seem to be.

As long as the good days outnumber the bad days, then it is good

Hopefully the leg will start to heal, i cannot go home (wheelchair wont fit) but i should be able to stay at my parents place.

Decent food at last

• Like 1

Good food wins !

*Fingers are crossed * The ManFromPOST.

kick some arse with your good foot, but don't hurt it (the foot)

8 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

As long as the good days outnumber the bad days, then it is good

Hopefully the leg will start to heal, i cannot go home (wheelchair wont fit) but i should be able to stay at my parents place.

Decent food at last

Man............I used to hang out for the poached fish with asparagus sauce in Hospital.

It was the best thing they had.

Second best was the grey roast beef with gravy disguise.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

having worked far too long in emergency, the best thing was being sent on rotation to the country

the mixed grill at griffith base was a carnivore's delight, although manning river wasn't quite so great

manly used to do great food till it was "outsourced" and became reheats from the frozen food factory

st vincents had barely edible sandwiches, but infinitely better than the amorphous slop without a name that we got as "hot meal" - the same shit they served inpatients in the emergency area, as a provocation to discharge themselves or die i suspect

the only thing more depressing than horrible food is being forced to eat it in the communal area in emergency - no escape to the far distant refectory, lest someone goes bad and all hands on deck are required

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i hate social workers. every time i deal with them is pisses me off

this one has signed me up to NDIS

OK, i know i will need some of their services, but she was talking about a three month remodeling of my house

i know i am slow to heal, but i plan on walking within a month, not being confined to a wheelchair

Is the house remodelling to aid a wheelchair, or to just remove trip hazards and have space for some rails?

probably to remove trip hazards

but i have been off-balance for tw years, and have yet to fall

i apreciate the offer of help, but i dont want it forsed down my throat

edit

..or to be treated like i am feeble minded

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 2

you should say yes to the ndis because government largesse for most things is pathetic; being approved for assistance is a really useful tool for further leverage as required

consider it like having a foot in the door, because you've already got one foot in the grave (as it were)  😬

and yeah, social workers can be tiresome, but they know how to game the system, and take it from me, you need all the inside help you can muster when it comes to accessing useful stuff

• Like 1

i feel that my life is being chipped away

not by the diabetes or the loss of my leg,

but by people who have a piece of paper an belive that they know what is good fo me better that i do

i feel manipulated, lied to, ignored

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

but by people who have a piece of paper an belive that they know what is good fo me better that i do

they don't know what's good for you better than you

but give 'em credit for knowing how to get stuff you might later appreciate is good for you; their style is the problem, not their good intentions

it's frustrating being on the production line - now you know how your pastries would feel if they were sentient 🙂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

Then say that . Again and again and again to all those around you. Do not deviate.

18 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

i hate social workers. every time i deal with them is pisses me off

this one has signed me up to NDIS

If you don't file any requests, they'll not be a big issue. If you do need help, otoh, and aren't signed up, you're in for a hatd time.

I've had a grand total of one person to see me and one letter.

• Sad 1

Hmm,

My mother was on some high-level package her last few months and did get crazy amounts of help.

TBH without it we would have had to insist on her going into a nursing home much earlier than she did.

The irony of it was that we had barely moved her to one and getting her settled, which to her surprise she rather liked, and she died.

Take whatever is on offer, you never know when you might need it and with the finite amount the government assigns it is not always easy to get much at all.

However there is no harm in being firm with the care workers, we found that in her case they really quite appreciated it because they really did not otherwise know how to deal with her - she could be very, very cranky 🙂

Cheers

🙂

I'm lucky I don't need it  🙂

That said I have taken advantage of a level one package this year, just gives me a few physio sessions for an irritating sore lower back.

I don't normally get involved with social workers at all either and don't need to for this - being over 65 my Doc was able to process the paperwork whilst I waited on line. I'd sort of balked at it but as the doc put it, just how many years have you been paying probably very high taxes in this country ?

Physio whom I saw for first time today said the same thing.

Cheers

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I'm lucky I don't need it  🙂

That said I have taken advantage of a level one package this year, just gives me a few physio sessions for an irritating sore lower back.

I don't normally get involved with social workers at all either and don't need to for this - being over 65 my Doc was able to process the paperwork whilst I waited on line. I'd sort of balked at it but as the doc put it, just how many years have you been paying probably very high taxes in this country ?

Physio whom I saw for first time today said the same thing.

Cheers

Isn't that just a basic healthcare plan from a GP?  Which seems quite unrelated to NDIS and social workers?

Or is this some old person perk?

In a way, anyone over 65 ( I think 60 for women) can apply for a "plan."

Mine is just what they seem to refer to as a "Level One" and it is sort of rubber-stamp. (At least it is at this end of the year.)

My mother was I think on a level 4 for the last months of her life. It was not at all easy to get but if you saw her death certificate it was more a case of what was NOT wrong with her - chronic lymphatic leukemia, lung cancer, leg tumor, pneumonia, right down to macular degeneration, which is hardly fatal but it actually was on the certificate. The government would always rather that people stay in their own homes as long as they can, next step some sort retirement home, then nursing but the longer they can keep people out of hospital the better.

Actually I, within reason quite agree with that and my mother was very, very strongly against going to hospital, despite having 13 visits the last year of her life.

I think the value of the package was about $55k so it is understandable that they don't exactly give them out easily. Contrariwise it doesn't really go all that far.

It covered a gardener, a nurse twice a week, two visits to help with showering, could have included social if she had wanted it but I was pretty much a doorman for friends 9 to 5 from January on. It also contributed to a mobility scooter that was her last gasp at freedom. She never was well enough to take it out much but loved it when she could.

I sort of forget what else but it was certainly burning up via the agency here that handled it.

It seems to vary a bit by State, year before last in WA without my asking whilst I was in hospital I was assigned a social worker, non-government, just gave me a call a few times really. That did not transfer over to SA and I don't think it does this time either, the physio and my doc, who are in the same building, can take care of it.

I can't say that I know any detail beyond that, it was somewhat of a surprise to me that any of it existed, until pneumonia knocked me clean of my feet I'd had very little in the way of health problems for a very long time.

It probably has nothing much at all to do with NDIS because I'm not disabled, it's a temporary condition on the way, I hope, to recovery. It does come under Aged Care, but I've yet to need to even contact them, which is just as well because attempting to even logon from MyGov rarely works 🙂

Cheers

I really feel for you guys with permanent mobility issues

i just escaped hospital (in my wheelchair) for lunch (sorry scuffy, KFC), cross the road, up three blocks, eat lunch, then return

most shops are wheelchair inacsseable, or accessable witb a freind, but crossing roads and gutters can be a challenge

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

crossing roads and gutters can be a challenge 

That part is not what bothers me. What pisses me right off is councils who put so much rake on their footpaths that the 'chair steers itself off the path and into the gutter.

Oh, and "wheelchair friendly" toilets. But let's not start that rant just now. 😛

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

That part is not what bothers me. What pisses me right off is councils who put so much rake on their footpaths that the 'chair steers itself off the path and into the gutter.

TIL

Rake. Degree of deviation from a horizontal plane.

never heard of it!

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

yup, one arm gets a workout giong there, the other gets it coming home

20 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

I really feel for you guys with permanent mobility issues

i just escaped hospital (in my wheelchair) for lunch (sorry scuffy, KFC), cross the road, up three blocks, eat lunch, then return

you will eventually recognise death comes in buckets

20 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

most shops are wheelchair inacsseable, or accessable witb a freind, but crossing roads and gutters can be a challenge

one of my mates is wheelchair bound (post polio) - it makes arranging public rendezvous complicated, even though he is unstoppable mentally

because his arms lack power, and his transport for the chair is a 3 wheel motorcycle, he can't fit or manhandle an electric chair on the luggage rack

the chair he has doesn't have handles, because he hates being "pushed" anywhere... making steep gutter ramps almost impassable

when he is not being disabled he is usually driving the trike at illegal speeds, or doing drone photography semi-legally

8 hours ago, @~thehung said:

TIL

never heard of it!

stops water pooling > sends it to the gutter

it's what slope was before it was a racial slur

• Like 2

8 hours ago, @~thehung said:

TIL

never heard of it!

It's just a different slant on it.